kaelthas

[REVIEW] 5005255 - Jurassic World Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)

HOW DO YOU RATE THIS SET?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. 1. On a scale of 1 - 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

IMG_5832.PNG.ba6c8e6bf95bd20370afb846aca47672.PNG

Third one, folks. This set is quite easy to get as the hype is not as much as the last 2018 bricktober. However, the minifigures are quite lovely.

5004938 - NINJAGO Minifigures

5004939 - TLBM Minifigures

5004941 - Classic Minifigures

5005257 - NINJAGO Minifigures (2018)

5005254 - Harry Potter Minifigures (2018)

Overview

Name: 5005255 - Jurassic World Minifigures
Theme: Promotional \ Toys R Us (Bricktober)
Year: 2018
Pieces: 18 pcs
Minifigures: 3 with a small dinosaur
Price: free with purchase of RM199 in Malaysia.

Introduction

The minifigures here are considered exclusive as Dr. Ian Malcolm did not appear in any other sets. Claire and Owen did come out in other sets but the designs of their outfit here is totally new prints and check out the whistling expression for Owen! Let's go into them.

Box

The mould of the plastic that hold them in place is quite different at the raptor compartment. They even put a round indentation there to make them easy to retrieve. The orange coloured box makes it feels like lava is flowing around them like in the movie. 

Standard back of the box with words..

I love this grey stoney part of the box here. It resembles the metal cage they used in the movie to keep those dinosaurs captive. 

Come out, stretch a bit!

Minifigures

Dr. Ian Malcolm is a mathematician who is one of the main characters of the Jurassic Park franchise since the beginning of the movie long ago. He is portrayed by Jeff Goldblum in the movie and appeared in the movie as a commentator only. Here we see he is wearing a black outfit showing some of his chest hair. Unlike other bricktober minifigures, he lacks leg prints and side arm prints. He is holding a torch and the hair is the same as Bruce Banner.

Jeff Goldblum.

Claire Dearing was the park operations manager of Jurassic World, prior to the abandonment of the park in 2015 upon the escape of the Indominus rex. She looks pretty here with a great smile and eyelashes. The light grey outfit is also very nice on her where the printings are extended to the legs. She came with a sad facial expression maybe after looking at the beloved dinosaurs died at the volcano site. Overall this is a nice minifigure with a smartphone.

Phewwwiiittt...

Owen Grady was a dinosaur researcher employed by Jurassic World, who conducted a behavioral research on Velociraptors. Here he looks messy in his brown vest and a weird smile. The special thing about this minifigure is the whistling facial expression he used on Gamora/dinosaurs. LOL. The expression is quite cool and brings life to this minifigure. He comes with a back pack and a belt printing along with arm detailing at his left arm. 

Will you marry me?

Baby raptor. This is not exclusive to this set as it appeared in 3 other sets. It is a one studed baby dinosaur which is smaller than a minifigure. The blue stripe prints are very nice and the mould is amazing for such a small creature! It looks very much alive instead of a dead piece of plastic. 

Blue: Can I eat that?

Trust me, not as a human, but as your father.

Conclusion

Despite the lack of hype, I feel that this set is quite adorable after I had my hands on them. Claire is lovely and Owen is cute with his whistling face. It will be worth to have as the price won't be as high in the secondary market. A very good collection of minifigure set!

Review summary

Playability: N/A - I've decided to skip this part. :laugh:
Design: 8/10 - Not bad as the torso and face prints are not ordinary prints.
Minifigures:  8/10 - Not sure about the selection but having the main characters in this set is quite subtle as others are not as popular. 
Price / Value for money: 8/10 - You can get it at lower price than other bricktobers I think.
Overall: 8/10 - Overall I would say I'm not disappointed. What say you?

I hope you enjoy reading my simple review and do express your comments below. :wink:

'The end is near.'

Stay tuned.

a3

Thanks for the review!

I'm not too thrilled with this pack. I really like the Ian Malcom figure (even though I see yours have the same misaligned torso print as mine), but the rest of the pack is not that exciting. Owen and Claire have been in a lot of sets, and even if these prints are new they aren't really adding much except for Owen's expression. Getting a baby dino instead of a figure seems like a cop-out. If only they had gone for a John Hammond fig instead of that dino I would have been over the moon, but alas...

Hahaha

Is that Owen face real? At first I thought you photoshopped it

Though I have to say it looks odd. Like the mouth is too close to the eyes

This is my second favorite pack out of those 4. Obviously Infinity War pack being the first. The only reason I get this is for that Owen's face print. It's perfect for Starlord making goofy faces for GoTG2. I hope I can score some extra faces of him to swap all of my Starlord figs. 

Why can they still not manage to capture Bryce Dallas Howard's likeness..? It looks absolutely nothing like her/Claire

Such a disappointing pack. A mediocre Owen, a version of Claire no one was that bothered by, and a Malcolm with what should be a hip print shoved onto the bottom of his torso. Very disappointing. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, LegoFjotten said:

Look at the picture above showing The Grandmaster & Ian Malcom. The print is too low, leaving a thick black line at the top of the torso, and cutting of the belt print at the bottom.

Yeah, thanks, but it looks like it`s the same all over, with every figures(?) Then it don`t hurt that much (having the misprint). :)

Owen's variant is nice and his faces are growing on me, and though Claire feels like they were obligated to include her character its an outfit that'd go nicely in the manor set.

Baby Blue should've been baby Delta, Echo and Charlie, three new baby raptors in different colors and prints would've made up for a fourth figure.

Ian Malcolm's hairpiece is not a good choice IMO, like better choices would've been the ones used by Owen, Stark, or Bruce Wayne.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:08 AM, LegoFan117 said:

Such a disappointing pack. A mediocre Owen, a version of Claire no one was that bothered by, and a Malcolm with what should be a hip print shoved onto the bottom of his torso. Very disappointing. 

Great, now I'm starting to notice that on Ian, especially since Owen right there has his belt printed on his hips.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:40 AM, Raptor of Vengeance said:

Owen's variant is nice and his faces are growing on me, and though Claire feels like they were obligated to include her character its an outfit that'd go nicely in the manor set.

Baby Blue should've been baby Delta, Echo and Charlie, three new baby raptors in different colors and prints would've made up for a fourth figure.

Ian Malcolm's hairpiece is not a good choice IMO, like better choices would've been the ones used by Owen, Stark, or Bruce Wayne.

Great, now I'm starting to notice that on Ian, especially since Owen right there has his belt printed on his hips.

Sorry for ruining it - just really not happy!!!

Thanks for the review. I was initially not going to get this set, but had to have Ian Malcolm. I don't think Lego's choice of hair fits him entirely, so given mine the Black Minifig, Hair Swept Back with Forelock-hair (Where's my pants-guy hair). Was also pleasantly surprised about Owen's arm printing. :classic:

On 10/27/2018 at 6:48 AM, LegoFjotten said:

Look at the picture above showing The Grandmaster & Ian Malcom. The print is too low, leaving a thick black line at the top of the torso, and cutting of the belt print at the bottom.

No, if you look closely at this pic you’ll see the torso print doesn’t quite extend to the bottom edge of the torso; nothing is cut off. It may be that the torso print design is small for your tastes (leaving a bit more margin than you’d like, notably at the top), but I don’t think it’s a misprint.

20 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

No, if you look closely at this pic you’ll see the torso print doesn’t quite extend to the bottom edge of the torso; nothing is cut off. It may be that the torso print design is small for your tastes (leaving a bit more margin than you’d like, notably at the top), but I don’t think it’s a misprint.

I'm looking closely at the actual figure I have in my hand, and there is no doubt that the print is not properly aligned. The belt buckle print extends all the way to the bottom of the torso and part of the buckle is missing. Along with the huge gap at the top (just compare it to other figures) it's pretty obvious what has happened.

I can definitely understand why people are bummed about this set… new variants of already common characters, only three figures, and a baby dinosaur in colors we've already seen (granted, in your photos it KIND OF looks like its eyes are not open as wide as in other sets with this color variant, but the fact that I can't tell for sure and nobody else has brought this up means that even that possibility wouldn't really add much to its sense of uniqueness/novelty).

I can sort of understand the reasoning behind including a baby dino rather than a fourth figure, though. It would be pretty weird to have a Jurassic World promo that didn't include any prehistoric animals, and the baby raptor is the only current dino mold that's minifigure size or smaller. And while Claire and Owen have appeared before as minifigures, it's nice that these ones have such unique outfits and facial expressions, especially since they are ones that could be versatile even for other types of modern-day themes or characters.

Ian Malcolm, the star of this set, is nicely designed, and I appreciate the boldness of giving him a darker skin tone to better reflect his tanned appearance in the original Jurassic Park — particularly considering how many other tanned characters and even non-white characters in past themes (Indiana Jones, Katara, Sokka, Jango Fett, etc) have been practically "whitewashed" in past sets by giving them a Light Nougat/Light Flesh faces instead of a Nougat or Medium Nougat skin tone that might appear more authentic. His outfit is good, though printed legs might have improved its sense of being a "premium" figure like we have seen in some other Bricktober packs.

Overall, my feelings on Jurassic World vary from ambivalence to outright aversion/disappointment, and I was pretty ambivalent to the original Jurassic Park movies as well, so this pack probably wouldn't have been on my wish list one way or the other. Even among themes I don't collect I might have preferred to see a pack for another non-licensed theme like City. But hopefully kids who love Jurassic World don't feel too let down by this selection. Their opinion probably has a lot more weight than mine does.

5 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

I'm looking closely at the actual figure I have in my hand, and there is no doubt that the print is not properly aligned. The belt buckle print extends all the way to the bottom of the torso and part of the buckle is missing. Along with the huge gap at the top (just compare it to other figures) it's pretty obvious what has happened.

Okay. I’m basing it on the photo here, of course, not your figure in hand, which I haven’t seen. It’s just that you were comparing yours to the photo here, which doesn’t quite show the torso print reaching the very bottom edge of the torso.

Received the pack today and it's unfortunately as mediocre as I expected.

The Ian issue isn't massively obvious, but the rip-off filling of a slot with a Baby Dino and a Chicken Leg certainly stings when you open the pack for the first time.

I actually like this pack because of Ian Malcom and Owen's 2nd face.  Also I think the torso printing in this one is way better than recent sets but I do agree with most people that the raptor and drumstick is kinda waste of a slot.