Kristof

[INSTRUCTIONS] Venator-class Star Destroyer (MIDI Scale)

@SnowDog2112 Thank you! Yes, it is slowly in the making!

@Fuchs So upon several requests and advices I uploaded the complete part inventory on Rebrickable, so feel free to check it out!

Edited by krisandkris12

@Iperial_Fleet_Commander Thanks, I hope it fulfils the expectations! I suggest making the orders sooner than later :D Even a few dozens people wanting to bricklink the same thing can make the difference in availability :D

Venator got among the hottest :blush: MOCs on Rebrickable! Feels special to see it next to other's masterpieces.

30791714897_42e7665b31_c.jpg

At last your Midi-Scale Venator is available!  Definitely putting this MOC on the list for future builds!

-Christian

Although many of the best Star Wars MOC's out there are large scale ships, this creation proves it doesn't have to be the biggest to be amazing. This is one of the best overall ship MOC's I have seen in a while. You nailed it. :wub:

Edited by Hollander

This model looks great. You managed to put a lot of details while keeping the right proportions. Can't wait for your next project.

@thire5 Thanks my friend. Looking up to your creations was one of the reasons why I started designing this! You really take some major credit for being an inspiration. I'm slowly working on my Invisible Hand, which is somehow less popular but imo really great ship as well and it just makes the coolest display next to the Venator!

I just got an email from Adam, one of the first who got my instructions, including this near-completion WIP pic!

46099657631_da872c660a_z.jpg

Adam allowed me to share it and I have to say that seeing my model being actually built by someone else is great!

Your model is really a joy to look at, because it seems very accurate in both dimensions and detail. I wonder though, if you feel there is anything you could improve, or are you 100% happy with the end result? I am not saying anything should be different, you are a much better builder than I am and I think this is easily one of the best Venator ships out there, even compared to the really large examples! But I know many lego builders want to make their creation absolutely perfect, like Jerac for instance who worked for years on creating the perfect A-wing. So I was wondering if you feel like you would ever rebuild certain parts of this ship. Just for the record I personally see no room for improvement, but maybe you as the creator do, and it is always interesting to see people improving things I thought couldn't be improved! Also, I look forward to your Invisible Hand. I think the triangle shaped ships from Star Wars are some of the most asthetically pleasing ships out there in the Sci Fi franchise, and they have a sense of realism to them, but aside from that I think the Invisible Hand is a lovely looking ship as well. One of the best looking ships out there in my opinion.  

@Hollander Even if we assumed perfection at certain point, with LEGO it is never going to be eventual :) New parts and options come pretty often. But I gotta say that after spending nearly 4 years with this particular design, I am very happy with it as is. It could probably be improved in terms of looks here and there but at the cost of much worse buildability and loss of sturdiness, so given all the objectives I wanted to meet, I don't have anything that would bug me and I felt like I could have done better at this point. Frankly it was an achievement in itself for me to even call it finished, exactly because of the persistent feeling that something can be improved upon :D That's also why it took me so long. 

Possibly (likely) with time, there will be some improvements invented, either by myself or someone else, and I am looking forward to it.

The invisible hand might be less appealing when standing alone. It is also way more stylized, simply because the in universe design is actually very organic, there are barely any straight lines and it is literally impossible to render such look with bricks in smaller scale. There are far fewer Invisible Hand MOCs than there are Venators and I bet you the part of the reason is how lego unfriendly it is :D That all being said, I think that the stylized version looks fantastic especially in the joint display with Venator. There is some harmony in colors and shapes that isn't even present in universe.

[EDIT] This sounds so lofty now when I read it :D They are genuine thoughts so I will leave it with a full awareness of the risk of being perceived as some kind of narcist :P

Edited by Kristof

Having recently purchased the instructions for this MOC, I would advise anyone who is on the fence to pull the trigger on it. I'm still in the early stages, but, after scouring the PDF, this is unequivocally the best MOC + Instructions set I've seen. While it's a beautiful design on the outside, it's internal design is equally striking. Very clever and sturdy construction. 

Thank you very much again! I hope you can make it even better with some modifications you suggested. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Waiting for one last order from BrickLink! I sub'd some parts from inventory, so a couple details are off at the moment. Those will get fixed later. 

Progress on Kristof's Venator. Very clever internal design.

Edited by K_W

^ The studded panels remind me of the first version I built. There is some old school classiness to that look, I still like it :D

@Kristof Ha! I can see that. While there are some subtle things I need to fix (i.e. dark red stripes and corner plates), I'll probably leave it mostly as is since the bottom panels are less visible. However, I may change my mind and decide to tile the bottom as I plan to do with the top. TBD

Edited by K_W

I wish I was bringing you some actual news but instead, I want to share that I finally became famous with this MOC... on mainland China :D

50859558176_d70c81163f_k.jpg

Not much else I can add to this except don't give them your money :) I don't think anyone reading this ever would anyway and I have no idea what their demographic actually is (there's gotta be some 'customers' that give them a reason to do this, right?) and how to perhaps warn them :) So I am sharing this more as a fun fact... token or recognition :D