Sign in to follow this  
dr_spock

[MOC] Train Cam Snow Plow

Snow plow for mounting a Quelima SQ12 action cam that has built-in rechargeable battery good for about 1 hour of filming.  It is good for plowing through vehicles stuck on a level crossing too.  :pir-classic:

31613194468_aa488c5edb_c.jpgTrain Cam Snow Plow by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

Sodium lights:

Flourescent lights with sunlight:

The Dutch railways (your 17xx was inspired on that I think ;)) should use your idea. If there is a cm of snow in Holland all trains halt to a stand-still.

Very nice indeed! Although now you have to put mining scenes inside the tunnels and light them lol!  I would love to see the track plan for the larger layout it was running on.  I'm sure the plow looked right at home on the winter layout lol! 

Awesome! Would you be able to post a few pics of the mountains? I like the look of the white one, looks like long rounded pieces set vertically.

Also, where was this layout?

Huh. I'm pretty sure I met you, dr. spock at the train show the first video was filmed at. I was poking around at your club's layout while I was assisting someone else over that weekend. :laugh:

Anyway, excellent work! I love seeing POV videos from model trains, and you've hidden your camera in a pretty sneaky spot! :thumbup:

Edited by Kintobor

On 10/22/2018 at 3:01 AM, JopieK said:

The Dutch railways (your 17xx was inspired on that I think ;)) should use your idea. If there is a cm of snow in Holland all trains halt to a stand-still.

I like those Dutch NS1600 and NS1700 engines.  Something cool about their shape.  Do your trains have sanders to lay sand on the rail to help with traction?    

On 10/22/2018 at 5:28 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Very nice indeed! Although now you have to put mining scenes inside the tunnels and light them lol!  I would love to see the track plan for the larger layout it was running on.  I'm sure the plow looked right at home on the winter layout lol! 

Thanks.  I don't have a copy of the track plan available.  Here are pics of our layout:

train0.jpg

More pictures on Brickshelf:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=575792

On 10/22/2018 at 4:35 PM, Deeks said:

Awesome! Would you be able to post a few pics of the mountains? I like the look of the white one, looks like long rounded pieces set vertically.

Also, where was this layout?

Thanks.  This one was at a local public library event.

On 10/22/2018 at 6:41 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Clever idea and great video! :thumbup:

Thanks. :classic:

On 10/23/2018 at 11:29 PM, Kintobor said:

Huh. I'm pretty sure I met you, dr. spock at the train show the first video was filmed at. I was poking around at your club's layout while I was assisting someone else over that weekend. :laugh:

Anyway, excellent work! I love seeing POV videos from model trains, and you've hidden your camera in a pretty sneaky spot! :thumbup:

Cool. Which one was you?  There were so many people there that weekend. It was a fun show.  First time our LUG ever did a train show.  We'll be back next year.  Will you? 

Thanks.   :classic:

44 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Cool. Which one was you?  There were so many people there that weekend. It was a fun show.  First time our LUG ever did a train show.  We'll be back next year.  Will you? 

Thanks.   :classic:

I came over to your display early Saturday morning before the show opened up. I asked you guys a bit about the layout your club had set up. I also showed a few of the members of your group my WIP railroad crossing that I actually have posted here on Eurobricks. I also inquired about where you guys were located (Toronto, if I recall?)

I've been doing train shows for years now, probably starting back before 2009. I've exhibited both HO scale and Lego, but I haven't been able to get around to shows as much lately. Lego layouts tend to draw a crowd, as I've learned since I was younger. I still get show coordinators wanting me to come to their shows and display, and I'm not a large LUG with a massive layout.

I was assisting one of the vendors over the weekend I ran into your group, and I got a little excited to see some Lego trains being displayed at the show. If I wasn't committed to assisting my friend I'd of probably hung around your layout all day. :laugh:

Edited by Kintobor

@dr_spock I don't think they have sanders, they are still in service and smell quite a bit in Autumn when the drivers now and then face slippery tracks. They are used as a sprinter (which basically says they halt at every stop). NS / Prorail is experimenting with some kind of gel they apply to the tracks though to get more traction.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:50 AM, Kintobor said:

I came over to your display early Saturday morning before the show opened up. I asked you guys a bit about the layout your club had set up. I also showed a few of the members of your group my WIP railroad crossing that I actually have posted here on Eurobricks. I also inquired about where you guys were located (Toronto, if I recall?)

I've been doing train shows for years now, probably starting back before 2009. I've exhibited both HO scale and Lego, but I haven't been able to get around to shows as much lately. Lego layouts tend to draw a crowd, as I've learned since I was younger. I still get show coordinators wanting me to come to their shows and display, and I'm not a large LUG with a massive layout.

I was assisting one of the vendors over the weekend I ran into your group, and I got a little excited to see some Lego trains being displayed at the show. If I wasn't committed to assisting my friend I'd of probably hung around your layout all day. :laugh:

Yup, we are GTA based (www.torolug.ca).  I was into HO when I was young.

On 10/25/2018 at 5:11 AM, JopieK said:

@dr_spock I don't think they have sanders, they are still in service and smell quite a bit in Autumn when the drivers now and then face slippery tracks. They are used as a sprinter (which basically says they halt at every stop). NS / Prorail is experimenting with some kind of gel they apply to the tracks though to get more traction.

Interesting that they are using a gel.  I guess it doesn't foul up the ballast like sand.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:20 AM, dr_spock said:

Yup, we are GTA based (www.torolug.ca).  I was into HO when I was young.

Interesting that they are using a gel.  I guess it doesn't foul up the ballast like sand.

Apparently it is called Sandite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandite