Hanso

Lego Mindstorms Soccer Robot, extension set for Lego Mindstorms Home Edition 31313

The company I work for (Sioux) is one of the main sponsors of Tech United, the leading World Champion in robot soccer.

So for me, it was obvious that we are going to release a Lego Mindstorms version of their robot. It will be available on the market as an extension set to the Home Edition version (art. 31313). The expected release date is december 2018 and it will be exclusively available at the Toypro (web)shop. The price of the extension set will be approx. 100 euro. Please note that you need the Home Edition to build this model.

The soccer robot looks like this in real:

44761342814_0d70a3f6c5_c.jpg

And this is the version I made:

44572752165_acd588c116_c.jpg

This version is controlled by the infrared sensor plus the corresponding remote control. I'm working on a version with the Pixycam, that will be able to go to the ball autonomously. The omni wheels are the only parts that are not Lego.

Please let me know what you think of it.

Regards,
Hans

Edited by Hanso

That is very nice! Can you show me some pics of the base? Is it based on a design like this?

Will the instructions be available too?

Cute soccer bot!  Are the holonomic wheels part of the expansion set?

The non-Lego version of the bot seems to have a 360 degree camera - can the Pixycam be used in such a setup?

3 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Are the holonomic wheels part of the expansion set?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

22 hours ago, Jim said:

That is very nice! Can you show me some pics of the base? Is it based on a design like this?

Will the instructions be available too?

If you buy the set, the building instructions will be part of it. The base is similar to the holonomic robot, i.e. it has three omni wheels. The extension set therefore contains also an additional EV3 L motor. The M motor is used for grabbing and shooting the ball.

11 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Cute soccer bot!  Are the holonomic wheels part of the expansion set?

The non-Lego version of the bot seems to have a 360 degree camera - can the Pixycam be used in such a setup?

Yes, of course the omni wheels are part of the extension set.

And as I said in my original post, I am working on a version with the Pixycam. As far as I know, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

15 hours ago, Hanso said:

And as I said in my original post, I am working on a version with the Pixycam. As far as I know, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it come to life.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it come to life.

A little warming up ... (another Tech United robot, made by my son with some little help).

Edited by Hanso

Yes, yes, yes!!! This is exactly what I am aiming at with my robot. Yours is awesome!

I would to hear how you have implemented inter-brick communication! Which environment? Which communication method etc? 

Tell me more....tell me more....

This robot was controlled by 4 EV3 bricks in daisy chain modus, so there was no special inter-brick communication. It was programmed with the standard EV3 programming environment, and because of the daisy chain modus, it could be handled as one large brick with 16 motors.

On 10/26/2018 at 6:33 AM, Hanso said:

This robot was controlled by 4 EV3 bricks in daisy chain modus, so there was no special inter-brick communication. It was programmed with the standard EV3 programming environment, and because of the daisy chain modus, it could be handled as one large brick with 16 motors.

Interesting. I have created a new topic about Daisy Chaining.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:24 AM, Hanso said:

If you buy the set, the building instructions will be part of it

When exactly is the set available?

I don't the exact release date. We are now in the process of creating the building instructions. We are aiming at 'somewhere in December 2018'.