Sign in to follow this  
gotoAndLego

[MOC] Bookshelf Library WIP

Hey guys, I wanted to show you the latest thing I'm working on. It's a library inspired by the Kansas City Library's Parking Garage facade. I'm in the process of building it from real bricks and haven't done the interior yet.

Bookshelf Library

Bookshelf Library

Here it is in our LUGs recent show.

52609034_2088602717871916_41973541311547

Edited by gotoAndLego

That looks nice! The books really fit a library. I only think the other part with the Library lettering looks a bit bland. But great job nonetheless.

Unique idea! I agree with @Man with a hat, the books look marvellous bu the building on the right needs some improvement. Adding some depth to the windows and and interesting cornice should do the trick :classic:

Here is my first big update to the library.

What does everyone think about the right side being rounded as opposed to a rectangular building?

Bookshelf Library v2Bookshelf Library v2Bookshelf Library v2

Edited by gotoAndLego

I like this version more than the previous one.  The previous one is good, but you've taken it to the next level.

Certainly an improvement! The titled book on the left now closes the space even more nicely. I really like how you brought the book concept to the roof of the library itself, maybe you could even stack more books there! This is giving me Toy Story Land feels, which is good! :sweet:

I think your second version is much better and looks really good, if anything though those letters that spell out library just don't look right. 

The first version was pretty blocky and boring, but I like the second version.  It looks like something you'd find in a mid-size city that wants to attract young educated professionals and families - just hip and fun enough for young families and good press, just conventional enough to be affordable for a city without a deep tax base.  I really like the way the leaning book on the left breaks up the lines and lets light in through the window gap, and I like the rounded corner of the main entrance, though it could look a little smoother.  However, it still looks pretty unfinished overall.  I assume you're planning to build a back wall and a full interior?  I think it would also look better if you put it on a green baseplate with trees and flowers, as if it was in the middle of some well-watered city's central park, or on a tan baseplate with desert plants, as if it was in a Southwestern city with xeriscaping ordinances.  Those plain gray baseplates are pretty ugly on their own.  Keep the updates coming, please!

Actually, never mind about some of that.  Looking back at the first post again, I actually think the first version works really well in a standard modular setting - a dense city center with buildings on both sides and narrow sidewalks.  By breaking up the lines on both sides of the building, the second version takes up less space on the baseplates and emphasizes their dull gray color, which in turn makes me want to see the building in a park, with room to breathe on all sides.  If you're going to put this in your modular layout, I'd say stick with the first version, even though the curved wall, book-styled roof, and leaning endcap are more technically interesting feats of Lego building.

The second version is much better. I really like the concept and the brick-built library sign. As what to improve, I double with @icm said and also recommend you to make the white section between the tilted and the normal books a bit more interesting and could make and make the open book like there was text in it. Perhaps, some books can be thicker/thinner than the others too... Nevertheless, I really like the direction this is taking, keep it up! :classic:

I've been fiddling around with this for a while and here is one of the most recent photos. I'll post more photos once I'm finished with the interior.

53860914_10156348377056243_3676985179290

Looks great!  I like what you did with the windows on the far left.

I just saw this today, but what a great progress from the original to this! So many great details (grafitti, seagulls) and great technique! This is a vey cool MOC! 

Wow, I almost closed this thread after the first picture, but then what I saw lower amazed me! Your progress is unbelievable and it's a real beauty! 

Wow great changes from the initial rendering. I really like that you kept the open book above the entrance. Love the little touches like the graffiti being painted over. The slanted book on the left is very nice leaving room for the windows. Looks like you have been working on the interior. I would love to see what it looks like. Fantastic work!

Oh, nice. That's a great improvement. It is looking fantastic now.

A minor point I was thinking about: The entrance now looks a bit small. Perhaps two books? But maybe it doesn't work.

14 minutes ago, Man with a hat said:

...A minor point I was thinking about: The entrance now looks a bit small. Perhaps two books? But maybe it doesn't work.

That’s a good point. I can’t add books but it could go from half the blue book to half the green.