GLAP23

Ninjago Movie Screen-Accurate Mech Recreations

@GLAP23 do you think the Animal Logic folks modeled the insides of this mech? I believe they only did the outside and then just imported it into their 3D software (Maya probably), and then added armatures to the model. I seriously doubt they made them all structurally possible.

@zweifuss I am pretty sure there is not that much inside the mech, especially for them to reduce rendering time. The designers mostly only focused on the external details.

The mech is not going to be 100% accurate, just curious on how they attached certain things.

There is also the fact that your assumption that some things are not structurally possible is more likely correct. After all, it's computer animation.

Edited by GLAP23

I am wondering if any of them know about this thread and that people actually tried to recreate their movie models in real life...

I'm trying to model the snout and lower jaw in my free time but it's a high learning curve for me, understanding how meshes work and such. I've been going through a lot of Blender tutorials and here is my progress so far, but I still have a lot more to learn.800x484.jpg

@zweifuss The mouth pieces seem to be going nicely. 

Fun fact: The actual movie models themselves were made in Lego Digtial Designer before being imported into Maya. This was also the case for the other LEGO Movie films too.

Edited by GLAP23

1 minute ago, Thedoctorwedwhistle said:

Its too bad we can't 3d print the jaw and the snout

You can! When I'm done with it I'll provide an .OBJ file which you can convert to .STL and print it out! Just have some patience, I have many reference shots, it'll get done when it's done. Here is my work in progress so far of the top part, what do you guys think? The nostrils need more work for sure, but I think I got the width of it right because it matches the black 11477 pieces behind it. 800x522.jpg

glap23 I would be interested to know if you will modify my version of the ice tank after finishing with it Garma mecha man  (honestly I put more interest to the destiny's bounty than to Garma mecha man I think I will do the same as animal logic model the exterior part and then export it to an animation program 3d to complete)

@Thedoctorwedwhistle Sure I can. I have the video game, and because the helicopter is in the video game, I can change it to be accurate if there are any inaccuracies.

Edited by GLAP23

IInteresting this thread of the recreation of the mechs in detail.
when will publish the Garma mecha man and the ice tank?

Edited by 8Arely_-A

First update:

These are all the piece that i had to paint to make the shark mech "color accurate". In some pictures the color may appear brighter than the real sand blue but its just an optical effect of the light. The finished product is just perfect and its very hard to spot the difference between real and painted pieces. I managed to get the right color by searching the RAL code of the sand blue and commissioning the production to a specialized center equipped with a tintometer. 

IMG_20200904_184512IMG_20200904_184556

IMG_20200904_184522IMG_20200904_184535IMG_20200904_184548IMG_20200904_184612

10 hours ago, Matteo Nottoli said:

First update:

These are all the piece that i had to paint to make the shark mech "color accurate". In some pictures the color may appear brighter than the real sand blue but its just an optical effect of the light. The finished product is just perfect and its very hard to spot the difference between real and painted pieces. I managed to get the right color by searching the RAL code of the sand blue and commissioning the production to a specialized center equipped with a tintometer. 

IMG_20200904_184512IMG_20200904_184556

IMG_20200904_184522IMG_20200904_184535IMG_20200904_184548IMG_20200904_184612

Nice work.

Medium recreational boat

The next boat that is finished is this medium recreational boat. The sea monkey is a relatively easy build being 8 brick wide boat. I have already started on it and I am still waiting for red hose peices that attach to the 1 x 8 tiles that made up the multicoloured roof at the back. 

6 hours ago, Mrlikesninjagomoviethings said:

Medium recreational boat

The next boat that is finished is this medium recreational boat. The sea monkey is a relatively easy build being 8 brick wide boat. I have already started on it and I am still waiting for red hose peices that attach to the 1 x 8 tiles that made up the multicoloured roof at the back. 

Always love your boat series! 

Second update:

I've built the legs and now i am working on the frame of the body that connects to the legs and the finns. Had to make some minor modification to the ankles to make the feet solid. Building huge model by using Lego digital designer is a real pain in the butt because the generated instruction does not follow the correct order of the of the building process resulting in having many floating parts that does not connect to anything until you reach a certain point of the build. The best is to study the model a bit before you build the real thing. If anyone knows a better way to generate instructions from imported models please let me know. 

IMG_20200905_182536IMG_20200905_182514

IMG_20200905_182504IMG_20200905_195219IMG_20200905_195226IMG_20200905_195236

On 9/3/2020 at 10:46 AM, zweifuss said:

@GLAP23 do you think the Animal Logic folks modeled the insides of this mech? I believe they only did the outside and then just imported it into their 3D software (Maya probably), and then added armatures to the model. I seriously doubt they made them all structurally possible.

This is very likely, in the making of the movie book in the vehicles section you can see the models of the mech and the omceptual arts, it seems the same LDD resolution as if it were a screenshot (obviously custom) instead of Garma's mecha . man The model is already rendered, perhaps that is why in some joints they are not visible and are obscured by various armor pieces Maybe that's why they didn't put all the models of the mech from the movie in the game and only the toy version exists

4 hours ago, Matteo Nottoli said:

Second update:

Construí las piernas y ahora estoy trabajando en la estructura del cuerpo que se conecta a las piernas y las aletas. Tuve que hacer una pequeña modificación en los tobillos para que los pies fueran sólidos. Construir un modelo enorme usando el diseñador digital de Lego es un verdadero dolor de cabeza porque la instrucción generada no sigue el orden correcto del proceso de construcción, lo que resulta en tener muchas partes flotantes que no se conectan a nada hasta que se alcanza un cierto punto de La construcción. Lo mejor es estudiar un poco el modelo antes de construir el modelo real. Si alguien conoce una forma mejor de generar instrucciones a partir de modelos importados, hágamelo saber. 

IMG_20200905_182536IMG_20200905_182514

IMG_20200905_182504IMG_20200905_195219IMG_20200905_195226IMG_20200905_195236

Good progress
Have you tried STUDIO 2.0?
  it's a good instruction generator

1 hour ago, mr4543r said:

This is very likely, in the making of the movie book in the vehicles section you can see the models of the mech and the omceptual arts, it seems the same LDD resolution as if it were a screenshot (obviously custom) instead of Garma's mecha . man The model is already rendered, perhaps that is why in some joints they are not visible and are obscured by various armor pieces Maybe that's why they didn't put all the models of the mech from the movie in the game and only the toy version exists

Good progress
Have you tried STUDIO 2.0?
  it's a good instruction generator

I tried but i don't know how to generate instructions out of it. I heard that you can't do It with imported models unless you make the steps of the build. Is that true? 

Edited by Matteo Nottoli