GLAP23

Ninjago Movie Screen-Accurate Mech Recreations

@GLAP23, congrats to your creations and thanks a lot! I enjoyed following this thread since the beginning. In the meantime this thread is the one with most replies and views after the yearly theme threads and one or two exceptions under this theme. A fact you can be proud of and a sign of your good work.

I personally downloaded the Fire Mech file, exported it now to stud.io and created a first pdf instructions which is maybe funny when you look at free floating pieces but will be a little tough when you wanna build it. So this Mech is on my list when I will come home after christmas holidays. In parallel I will work on the pdf instruction to get more familiar with stud.io.

Sixth update: 

The model is finally complete. It took me ages to prepare the pieces, make some modifies and assemble the model. The Garmadon's shark mech walker is definetely the hardest challenge i have ever made. The head is temporary leaning on a pile of books (keeping the mouth closed) because its weight is unbalanced and without that it would fall forward and the legs cant sustain the whole shark. Im going to make a transparent support for the model to be able to place it in my diorama. If anyone has some tips on how to build a support for the model i would be happy to listen to your advises.

IMG_20210108_145751IMG_20210108_145740IMG_20210108_145704IMG_20210108_145648IMG_20210108_145725IMG_20210108_145713

@GLAP23 how about your progress with the garma mecha man? 

Edited by Matteo Nottoli

Built and installed in the model two trasparents supports attached to the jaw line. Now the model is finally complete. Definetely my new greatest build. 

IMG-20210116-WA0028IMG_20210116_201123IMG_20210116_201305IMG_20210116_202701IMG_20210116_201329IMG_20210116_202715

1 hour ago, Matteo Nottoli said:

Definitely my new greatest build.

That is some incredible work, for sure. A huge accomplishment, especially with all of the painting and custom touches that went into it.

I have a small update of my own. Today was the day I've been dreading for months; when the two halves (bottom and top) of the Destiny's Bounty had to come together as one. It took all afternoon but they are finally aligned.

blue72_destiny_bounty_2021-01_01.png

blue72_destiny_bounty_2021-01_02.png

She's a little disheveled from being jostled, twisted and tweaked all day, but I had to snap a couple of pictures. The sheer girth of this thing is something else.

Also visible is the beginnings of a section of docks. I might wind up using something like it to stabilize this thing and keep it from rocking port to starboard. There is a minuscule contact patch underneath this very top-heavy ship.  I also have hundreds of other small adjustments remaining to be made and plenty of things left to attach (engines, cowlings, fenders, flags, sails, rigging, etc...).

11 hours ago, blue72 said:

That is some incredible work, for sure. A huge accomplishment, especially with all of the painting and custom touches that went into it.

I have a small update of my own. Today was the day I've been dreading for months; when the two halves (bottom and top) of the Destiny's Bounty had to come together as one. It took all afternoon but they are finally aligned.

She's a little disheveled from being jostled, twisted and tweaked all day, but I had to snap a couple of pictures. The sheer girth of this thing is something else.

Also visible is the beginnings of a section of docks. I might wind up using something like it to stabilize this thing and keep it from rocking port to starboard. There is a minuscule contact patch underneath this very top-heavy ship.  I also have hundreds of other small adjustments remaining to be made and plenty of things left to attach (engines, cowlings, fenders, flags, sails, rigging, etc...).

My God this is beautiful!! How many pieces?

22 hours ago, Matteo Nottoli said:

Built and installed in the model two trasparents supports attached to the jaw line. Now the model is finally complete. Definetely my new greatest build. 

IMG_20210116_202701

The money shot. Outstanding work! I can only admire.

Just makes me sad LEGO didn’t choose to scale up either of the big two mechs.

3 hours ago, Mrlikesninjagomoviethings said:

20210117_225315

Made these stickers a while back but never decided to share them but here they are.

Fantastic! I'd like to see the whole model with the new changes

Just wanted to say, @blue72 and @Matteo Nottoli, I love coming here and seeing your in real life builds, I am in awe. This is some real dedication. Maybe one day we'll see all the mechs here in real life as well, eh? We can always dream. It is certainly doable with enough money, time, dedication, and of course, transparent supports!

On 1/17/2021 at 5:52 AM, Matteo Nottoli said:

My God this is beautiful!! How many pieces?

Thank you. Quite honestly, I have no idea how many pieces are in it. Just the tiles that cover the decks are about 700+.

1 hour ago, blue72 said:

Thank you. Quite honestly, I have no idea how many pieces are in it. Just the tiles that cover the decks are about 700+.

Are you planning to place the bounty in a large diorama? 

3 hours ago, Matteo Nottoli said:

Are you planning to place the bounty in a large diorama? 

I..... I have not thought that far ahead. I suppose now that I have both a movie-scale Destiny's Bounty and Green Ninja Dragon Mech, I had better start on such a thing. I just got done assembling the 70620 Ninjago City recently, and my mind has been reeling, thinking of possible ways to expand in that style of architecture and design. I basically started putting together the big Destiny's Bounty because I had constructed the official 70618 set and was disappointed that it wasn't the same scale as what was in the movie. That's it, that's the entire reason I began this whole endeavor was because I was stubbornly disappointed about scaling. Now I'm going to have to just keep building an environment for them to fit in I suppose.

I have been acquiring a few of the other small sets from 2017 and I've built some miscellaneous scenery bits, like these street lamps:
blue72_destiny_bounty_2021-01_03.png

I'm going to have to start sketching and planning what I want to do from the ground up, quite possibly laying the basics of it all out in stud.io first.

@Matteo Nottoli There has not been too much progress, but I did make the shark ammo chain.

Garma%20Mecha%20Man%20Shark%20Chain.png

The Garma Mecha Man currently has 7576 pieces.

Amazing work you have done @blue72 and @Matteo Nottoli!

As for updates, the center flagpoles on the shoulder pads were slightly shortened for the Quake Mech and small changes in the feet and tank attachment area were made for the Fire Mech. The Water Strider was also updated to have better and more accurate details.

Edited by GLAP23

Fire%20Mech_Copy.pngJust for your eyes :
Fire%20Mech_Copy_2.png
Fire%20Mech_Copy3.png

On 1/17/2021 at 2:01 AM, blue72 said:

Amazing,
on my side I am doing a MOC of the very first junk in season 1 of the series

@GLAP23 you're welcome

in the scene of the Garma Mecha Man
You can see that it is a 3d mold unlike the other mechs, it has few pieces modeled, and it seems to me that they only used the 3d mold and put displacement, normal and roughness maps so that the final result seemed to be made of Lego pieces.

Hey while I was trying to examining the jaw on the green ninja mech dragon, I went back to the movie and I found out that the jaw has four pointed ends in the back.

in the movie, If you look closely when Lloyd actives all those missiles, when it came to the head it starts to rebuild itself and when I slowed it down you can see the jaw reattach 

Edited by Thedoctorwedwhistle

20210129_231836

Thought I'd share the piranha in a slightly more "aggressive" pose.

It also highlights the differences between the set version, considering the set version does not have leg poseability due to usual standards of sturdiness in their official models.

Hey y'all. I wanna start by saying you've all been doing incredible work. I mean seriously, I wish I could be this deticated about anything.

So, I'm interested in building a Destiny's Bounty. I got a copy of the set in 2018 and loved it. Still the biggest set I ever bought, and I liked it so much I bought a second one and followed a video by MOC YOUR BRICKs and build an extra long one out of both. I loved that thing and made a lot of modifications to it, up until I took it apart in late december. I'm not sure why I did it, it just felt like it was time.

So I wanted to ask where I could start in building a screen-accurate one, at least in general size and detail. Has anyone made an LDD available? Or does anyone have a collection of reference material? I wouldn't really know where to begin.

And again, thank you for all you're inspiring work.