GLAP23

Ninjago Movie Screen-Accurate Mech Recreations

I don't see the Fire Mech or Quake Mech lxf files, are you going to post those too?

Thanks!

@STeNCH The lxf files for the Fire Mech and Quake Mech aren't available yet because they are incomplete. They will become available once when the mechs are complete.

Edited by GLAP23

@GLAP23 always a pleasure to see you update these, your hard work is appreciated. I noticed with the Quake Mech, you're doing something interesting with the wheel there... is the actual piece not available in LDD? Or is there no such LEGO part for that wheel? It does look quite big. Have you thought about switching over to Bricklink's Stud.io? They now have a part designer tool that lets you take existing parts and modify them. Perhaps you could take the largest LEGO tire and just increase its dimensions to meet your demands. For example as you can see below, I've increased the '23798' tire to 150% just by dragging some dots on it.

640x498.jpg

Just a thought. Anyway, keep on keeping on, love seeing the progress.

@zweifuss Thank you showing me the Stud.io PartDesigner! :classic: I downloaded and installed the program and resized the tire to fit the rim. If Bricklink adds the jaw and nose for the dragon mech, I can resize those too.

Here is another update for the Fire Mech:

Fire%20Mech%201.png

Another update to Garmadon's Shark Mech:

Garm%20Mech%201.0%202.png

Speaking of shark mechs, has anyone attempted to build the film version of Garmadon's second mech, the Garma Mecha Man? Also, is there anymore reference material for the Garma Mecha Man other than promotional material, Making of the Movie book, the Shark E. Shark short, or the movie itself?

Edited by GLAP23
Fixed image

Nice work, love the true shark mech!

Regarding True Garma Mecha Man, I was thinking that myself when you started this topic... that would be the ultimate challenge, wouldn't it? I don't think anyone's attempted it. Does the game only have the toy version in it?

Also, to your comment regarding the dragon head pieces, they are available as .DAT files on the unofficial LDRAW repository here:

http://www.digital-bricks.de/en/lddprimitives2670.php

http://www.digital-bricks.de/en/file.php?part=24232 <- top part

http://www.digital-bricks.de/en/file.php?part=25380 <- bottom part

So you can import them into Part Designer, I've done it. Only thing is you can't really stretch individual vertices to make the pieces. I think you'd have to export them to OBJ, manipulate in Blender, then import back into Part Designer. It'd be quite a process but well worth it in my opinion. Another cool thing about Part Designer is you can make all the custom decals needed for these constructions too.

5 hours ago, zweifuss said:

Does the game only have the toy version in it?

The game only has the toy version. It's disappointing since they included large, complex mechs in games before. Plus, they only made it bigger just by resizing it. If the game had used the movie model instead of the set, I would have started building it in a heartbeat before anything else, and thank you for giving me the link to the dragon head pieces.

Edited by GLAP23

@GLAP23 I've been playing around with Blender and I think I'm getting somewhere, what do you think of this dragon bottom piece? I stretched it out 1 stud longer

640x531.jpg

@zweifuss Looks Great! However, there is a reference you can use to make the shape of the jaw look more like Animal Logic's. Even though these aren't the final designs of the jaw and snout pieces as seen in the movie, I can still use this to make the final designs.Ninjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

Edited by GLAP23

Hey, what an amazing job.

I run a 3D Printing material Company in Germany and we are producing a compostable flexible material and we printed toy tires already.

It would be a pleasure to print Cole`s Mech tire and to build it for real. 

I just started to rebuild the Dragon Head for a special Diorama*.

Has anyone tried to find matching paint for Sand Green   Pantone 624 C  Pantone HEX  789F90  Red    Green    Blue (RGB)  120    159    144 (http://www.bartneck.de/2016/09/09/the-curious-case-of-lego-colors/)?

I found Revell Aqua Color Patina Green 36365 only, which is close.   

* see Lego Ninjago Outtake 1:39-2:02 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTQK0AaSEY

@MOCER Thank you. I'm happy that you're willing to build the Quake Mech with a custom 3D printed tire.

I uploaded long overdue updates to three Shark Army vehicles: Mecha Crab, Shark Boat, and the Piranha.

Download them here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/GLAP23/

As of 8-17-19, the Fire Mech and Quake Mech are not finished, but hopefully I can get both of them done next month.

Edited by GLAP23

1568763325836.jpg.aa657ed63bc304e8dba8cb6579928007.jpgso? Whaddya think?. I based it off of glap23's lxf file.                                      The shark boat is one of my favorite shark army vehicles and was sad it did not come out as a real set

Edited by Mrlikesninjagomoviethings

@Matteo Nottoli Once the Shark Mech is finished, the LXF will be released.

@Mrlikesninjagomoviethings Wow! That is incredible. Thanks for sharing. :classic:

The Quake Mech is just about complete. I will still need to look at the wheel though.

Quake%20Mech%205.png

Back:

Quake%20Mech%206.png

As for the Fire Mech, I reconstructed the legs. The Technic structures are much more accurate now.

Fire%20Mech%20Foot%206.png

Edited by GLAP23

This is my accurate clam drone. Lego had one job to do! I understand that the Manta bomber is inaccurate or the the shark walker. But this model is so Small, I thought Lego would get it right. I even put the stickers on the bottom of the fins. I put the trans light blue plate in the middle. I literally took exact precision when perfecting this model! To the last detail!

1569036979023.jpg

@Mrlikesninjagomoviethings I really like your clam drone too, especially with all of the accurate details.

@Takanuinuva I will see what I can do with those rim pieces.

Today marks the second anniversary of the LEGO Ninjago Movie. In celebration, I am releasing updates for the Green Ninja Mech Dragon and the Lightning Jet.

The Green Ninja Mech Dragon has a few structural changes, plus the correct shade of gold.

Get them here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/GLAP23/lego-ninjago-movie-ninja-mechs

I noticed that the video game models copy the inaccurate first wave set models. But the sets in the 2nd wave which weren't released until after the game launched are accurate to the movie in the game. Just a thought . Also if you watched many of the dropships (which weren't in the movie) and jelly subs, I noticed that when finished dropping off troops, they disappear into buildings (probably because it's just easier to animate it that way instead of having the models go somewhere and a bunch of other hassles that they didn't want to deal with) Also, I have almost finished making the piranha mech accurate, albeit having some troubles figuring out the feet of the mech. I have also been interested in the red variation of the shell drone with the red fins and the red blaster on top, it also only appears in the game along with the hammer dropship. I'd like to consider the docks set as a combination 3rd wave. Instead of having three medium or smallish sets, it's this one big set. I'm also glad the set included the Orange puffer figure, I was scared about the thought of not having that one figure being made by lego, because they did such a good job of pumping out the S.A fleet albeit missing some good ones. Also I've already showed you guys picture of the shark boat, but I'd like you to notice my other models in the background. -M.l.N.M.T 

Edited by Mrlikesninjagomoviethings
More to add

The Fire Mech is nearly finished, but still not done.

Fire%20Mech.png

Garmadon's platform and control stand is finally attached in the Shark Mech.

Garm%20Mech%201.0%203.png

Edited by GLAP23
Fixed image

On 9/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, GLAP23 said:

@Mrlikesninjagomoviethings I really like your clam drone too, especially with all of the accurate details.

@Takanuinuva I will see what I can do with those rim pieces.

Today marks the second anniversary of the LEGO Ninjago Movie. In celebration, I am releasing updates for the Green Ninja Mech Dragon and the Lightning Jet.

The Green Ninja Mech Dragon has a few structural changes, plus the correct shade of gold.

Get them here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/GLAP23/lego-ninjago-movie-ninja-mechs

Has anyone tried to build the mecha crab yet?

@Mrlikesninjagomoviethings I haven't tried to build the Mecha Crab out of real bricks yet, but I hope to do so someday.

Today, the Fire Mech is finally done after months of working on it. Like any other mech, it will be updated if I find any inaccuracies.

Some things had to be changed or unattached due to collsion detection. The mech also has some floating parts.

Front:

Fire%20Mech%20Foot%207.png

Back:

Fire%20Mech%20Arm%208.png

Download the LXF here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/GLAP23/lego-ninjago-movie-ninja-mechs

The Quake Mech is around 95%-97% complete. 

I will soon start on the Ice Tank and continue working on Garmadon's Shark Walker. The Garma Mecha Man will be the last mech since it's the largest and most complex.

Edited by GLAP23

6 hours ago, GLAP23 said:

@Mrlikesninjagomoviethings I haven't tried to build the Mecha Crab out of real bricks yet, but I hope to do so someday.

Today, the Fire Mech is finally done after months of working on it. Like any other mech, it will be updated if I find any inaccuracies.

Some things had to be changed or unattached due to collsion detection. The mech also has some floating parts.

Front:

Fire%20Mech%20Foot%207.png

Back:

Fire%20Mech%20Arm%208.png

Download the LXF here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/GLAP23/lego-ninjago-movie-ninja-mechs

The Quake Mech is around 95%-97% complete. 

I will soon start on the Ice Tank and continue working on Garmadon's Shark Walker. The Garma Mecha Man will be the last mech since it's the largest and most complex.

Do you have any of the shark army/mech builds from Lego and if so, are you going to be correcting them with Lego bricks since you already have the shark fleet all completed and accurate?

@Mrlikesninjagomoviethings I actually do have some of the Shark Army builds, including the Jelly Sub, Manta Ray Bomber, Piranha, and small Crab Mech. They were corrected to be more accurate, except for the small Crab Mech. The models I corrected are still not finished.

While looking for more references and information to use to make the mechs, I stumbled across two sites of small animation studios that worked on and created promotional material for movie: Devastudios and ATKPLN. In the Comic-Con promo created by Devastudios, two of the mechs appeared animated: Green Ninja Mech Dragon and the Quake Mech, and in the "Please Put On Your 3D Glasses" promo created by ATKPLN, the Garma Mecha Man appears. Now, here are questions: Do you think one of these studios will provide references to build the mechs mentioned if someone inquired about them, and if not, would it be better to talk to Warner Bros, Animal Logic, or the designers of the mechs?

Edited by GLAP23