GLAP23

Ninjago Movie Screen-Accurate Mech Recreations

@Boettner Builds You're welcome. :wink:

I have finally figured out all the Technic parts behind the leg. It took a long time, but the right leg is finished. If there is anything I need to change, I will update it. There are a few parts in the foot and the leg that can't be added and attached due to collision detection.

Fire%20Mech%20Foot%204.png

Edited by GLAP23

This is some really amazing stuff. Watching the movie there’s not to many static scenes where you can see all the work/details/parts used in these mechs. Then seeing your builds, they use TONs of parts! Again, thank you so much for doing this.

You never cease to amaze me with the progress you make and the amount of details you manage to replicate 

Edited by KaiNinjaOfFire

Both legs are now finished.

Fire%20Mech%20Foot%205.png

Now it's time to build the waist.

Edited by GLAP23

Am I correct to assume this Fire Mech will actually have lower joints that can articulate? The official one I believe has straight legs that don't bend at the knees. I'm always annoyed when they don't allow bendable legs on the official sets. The Venom mech from 76155 also has this issue.

@zweifuss The legs do indeed articulate in the knees like how they do in the movie. As for the set version having no knee articulation, the reason behind that is so it will not be unbalanced. If you add knee articulation to the legs, the mech will be a little prone to falling over. This is also the same reason why the set version of the Garma Mecha Man doesn't have knee articulation either. Stability is important to LEGO when it comes to the official sets.

Edited by GLAP23

8 minutes ago, GLAP23 said:

@zweifuss The legs do indeed articulate in the knees like how they do in the movie. As for the set version having no knee articulation, the reason behind that is so it will not be unbalanced. If you add knee articulation to the legs, the mech will be a little prone to falling over. This is also the same reason why the set version of the Garma Mecha Man doesn't have knee articulation either. Stability is important to LEGO when it comes to the official sets.

Knee articulation has been quite rare since Exo-Force met its end. The last mech with knee articulation that I remember of is the Sentinel from X-men vs Sentinel set. A shame if you ask me.

No new updates at the moment, but I thought it would be interesting to do comparisons between the movie mechs and their set counterparts.

The movie version of the Green Ninja Mech Dragon measures at 49.7 in (121.6 cm) in length, whereas the set version only measures at 23 in (60 cm).

Green%20Ninja%20Mech%20Dragon%20Size%20C

The Lightning Jet is larger than the set, mainly because of the wings and engines.

Lightning%20Jet%20Size%20Comparison.png

One of the most noticeable differences between the Water Strider in the movie and the set version is the color of them, with the one from the movie being Titanium Metallic and the set version being Black. I get why the set version isn't Titanium Metallic, because for LEGO it will be costly to mold a lot of parts into that color.

Water%20Strider%20Comparison.png

When I get finished with the Fire Mech, I'll do a comparison on it.

Edited by GLAP23

Looking forward to the release of the LDD files for Fire Mech and Lightning Jet! I'm really planning on building some of these with bricks, and those two seem like the easiest to do and stay accurate to the color scheme with parts currently available. Sadly, the Green Ninja Mech Dragon seems to be out of the question to build physically without drastic color changes, and while I could swap all the titanium metallic parts in the Water Strider for black, I'm much more interested in the former two builds so I'm eagerly anticipating the file release

@legozebra Glad you are intending to build both the Fire Mech and the Lighting Jet out of real bricks. However, both mechs have floating pieces, which means modifications will need to be done to build them in real life.

I just got the LEGO Ninjago Movie Video Game in order to update the Lightning Jet, and to build Garmadon's Shark Mech and the Quake Mech. Upon closer inspection of parts of the Lightning Jet in Ninjago City Docks, I noticed inaccuracies in the replica that I built. I did all changes necessary to make it more accurate. It helped me a lot, and it should be more movie accurate now.

Edited by GLAP23

14 hours ago, GLAP23 said:

@legozebra Glad you are intending to build both the Fire Mech and the Lighting Jet out of real bricks. However, both mechs have floating pieces, which means modifications will need to be done to build them in real life.

I just got the LEGO Ninjago Movie Video Game in order to update the Lightning Jet, and to build Garmadon's Shark Mech and the Quake Mech. Upon closer inspection of parts of the Lightning Jet in Ninjago City Docks, I noticed inaccuracies in the replica that I built. I did all changes necessary to make it more accurate. It helped me a lot, and it should be more movie accurate now.

Gotcha, yeah, I’ll probably start with the Lightning Jet once you publish the LDD file (with part color substitutions when needed) and I guess I’ll figure out during the build what needs to be modified to be structurally secure. Thanks for doing this!

The side by sides REALLY make the sizes super apparent! This is some truly amazing work. I have been collecting some of the rarer parts to build your UCS versions, but I have no idea when I’ll actually start! Thanks again for doing this and I eagerly await every new post!

@legozebra You are welcome, and good luck building. :wink:

@Boettner Builds I am glad you are enjoy my progress, and I am happy you are building the mechs out of real bricks too.

The Lightning Jet is now completed. I haven't decided to add in the 14301 hoses as they disappear and reappear in the movie, but you can add them in if you want.Lightning%20Jet%204.png

There is a new update for the Water Strider. Inaccuracies have been spotted in the legs. Now they appear as they do in the movie.

Water%20Strider%203.png

The Mecha Crab, Shark Boat, and Piranha have all been updated due to Video Game close ups.

All of the LXF files are here.

Since the Lightning Jet is complete, there are only 3 more of the ninjas' mechs to build: the Fire Mech (already started), Quake Mech, and Ice Tank.

Edited by GLAP23

GLAP23 you make my day my friend. I love your attention to details. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work, there are many that keep this kind of thing a closely guarded secret!

@zweifuss No problem. :classic: There is going to be much more coming.

I fixed an inaccuracy with the Lightning Jet. The parts that attach the dome are supposed to be two 44567 plates, not a 44568.

I got news relating to the Quake Mech. In the game, I have figured out how to get a rear view of the mech, but it doesn't really help giving a good view of the internal structures I need to build. I wonder if there is any way I can get a closer view of the Quake Mech? :sceptic:

The LEGO® Ninjago® Movie Video Game 4_5_2019 8_10_43 PM

Edited by GLAP23

17 hours ago, GLAP23 said:

I fixed an inaccuracy with the Lightning Jet. The parts that attach the dome are supposed to be two 44567 plates, not a 44568.

Now THAT is some crazy attention to detail!!!!

I have finally found a way to land onto the Quake Mech in the Video Game. Because It is modeled after the one in the movie, I finally have something to build from. Some of the most challenging areas to build are now easy to make.

Internal structure of the hands (incomplete) :

Quake%20Mech%202.png

Shoulder pad attachment to arm:

Quake%20Mech%201.png

Edited by GLAP23

New update for the Quake Mech:

Quake%20Mech%203.png

Quake%20Mech%20Arm.png

The Quake Mech has also helped me figure out areas of the Fire Mech.

Edited by GLAP23

On 4/6/2019 at 2:39 AM, GLAP23 said:

I got news relating to the Quake Mech. In the game, I have figured out how to get a rear view of the mech, but it doesn't really help giving a good view of the internal structures I need to build. I wonder if there is any way I can get a closer view of the Quake Mech? :sceptic:

There is one technique that you might be able to use to get a closer view - at least, if you're running the game on a PC. There is a tool out there called 'Ninja Ripper', which allows you to 'rip', or essentially reconstruct, game assets which are being rendered by DirectX. I've used this successfully to access models from Lego video games in the past, and although I don't own the Ninjago Movie game, I shouldn't imagine it's any different. Tt Games usually seem to be very thorough with the models they use in their games, including every brick even when they won't be seen, so you might be able to get what you're after this way.

It's a free program that can be downloaded from various sites on the internet, although it also requires a 3D modelling software (e.g. Blender, 3ds Max, etc.) in order to access the models. This site has links to everything you need along with a tutorial on using it. I hope that helps you.

@ChocolateCrisps I already had Ninja Ripper installed, and used it to get a better view of Garmadon's Shark Walker and the Quake Mech. Thanks! :classic:

It's been a long time since I posted any updates because I was busy building both the Quake Mech and Garmadon's Shark Walker. Here's what has been built.

Quake Mech:

Quake%20Mech%204.png

Garmadon's Shark Walker:

Garm%20Mech%201.0%201.png

Tail of the Shark Walker:

Shark%20Mech%20Tail.png

Edited by GLAP23
Fixed images