GLAP23

Ninjago Movie Screen-Accurate Mech Recreations

@J4ck I took screenshots via LDD, but I will do renders for finalized designs.

I am just about done with the Water Strider. The back is just about finished:

Water Strider Back

If anyone has anymore references other than the movie to build these mechs, that would be great. The movie models of Garmadon's Shark Mech, Jay's Lightning Jet, and Cole's Quake Mech appear in the videogame. Screenshots of the mechs that I've mentioned from the game are good references.

Edited by GLAP23

12 hours ago, GLAP23 said:

@J4ck I took screenshots via LDD, but I will do renders for finalized designs.

I am just about done with the Water Strider. The back is just about finished:

Water Strider Back

If anyone has anymore references other than the movie to build these mechs, that would be great. The movie models of Garmadon's Shark Mech, Jay's Lightning Jet, and Cole's Quake Mech appear in the videogame. Screenshots of the mechs that I've mentioned from the game are good references.

I have the game. If you tell me what exactly you need I can try and get it : )

@J4ck LDD does have a feature that allows you to take screenshots. Under "Tool Box" look for "Take a screenshot".

@Dardanel In Ninjago City Docks, you can see parts of the Lightning Jet laying around, but I need this particular area:

Lightning Jet 2

I will need pictures of the sides, the back, the pieces behind the seat, and underneath where the landing gear attaches. As for the Quake Mech, in Chapter 5 - The Ultimate Weapon, try to get close-ups of the Quake Mech when you have to pull Cole out of the stuck canopy. It's definitely the one from the movie. Thanks.

Edited by GLAP23

On 12/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, GLAP23 said:

@J4ck LDD does have a feature that allows you to take screenshots. Under "Tool Box" look for "Take a screenshot".

Ahh, much appreciated, thank you!

On 12/9/2018 at 4:43 AM, GLAP23 said:

@J4ck You're welcome.

I think it's about time to release the Water Strider.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/GLAP23/lego-ninjago-movie-ninja-mechs

I have figured out most of the structure of the shoulders of the Fire Mech. Only one has been worked on so far.

*insert image here*

You’ve done well to figure that out. Do you examine each frame to figure it all out?

@J4ck I do examine each frame to get the details right. It may be a little difficult, but if I have high definition footage and good angles, I can easily identify parts and the way they attach.

Edited by GLAP23

On 12/11/2018 at 1:57 AM, GLAP23 said:

@J4ck I do examine each frame to get the details right. It may be a little difficult, but if I have high definition footage and good angles, I can easily identify parts and the way they attach.

Ahhh I see. Thanks!

On 12/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, GLAP23 said:

I have updated the Green Ninja Mech Dragon. Found and fixed inaccuracies.

Link to updated version

Bluerender render:

This is really impressive, and I love the inclusion of the LDD file. If only more parts were available in Sand Green to make this a physical creation...

@legozebra There is going to be some more Sand Green parts in the upcoming LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part D2C set, with 47759 appearing in Sand Green, though not all of the part designs appearing in Sand Green in the set are used on the mech.

Another update has been done to the Green Ninja Mech Dragon.

Updated version here

More work has been done to the Fire Mech, but I'm not entirely sure if the Technic structure for inside the leg is correct though.

Fire%20Mech%20Foot.png

Edited by GLAP23

Could you show how to build the head, neck, engines section, hind legs, & tail of the Dragon? (I left out the front legs because I've nearly finished building them)

Thank you for this, enjoying your work so far. Can't wait to see all the mechs completed. Is it possible to extract the models from the videogame and use those somehow? That'd be cool.

@zweifuss It is possible to extract models from the game, but I think it would be a violation of the game's EULA. The only other alternative is to get permission from the creators of the models at TT Fusion to view the meshes.

New update for the Green Ninja Mech Dragon: Link

Another update for the lightning jet:

Lightning%20Jet%203.png

Edited by GLAP23

@GLAP23I've watched the promo videos for the game, and it looks like they're using the models from the sets for the mechs anyway, so it'd be a moot point. Wouldn't it be cool if Animal Logic would share their models with us, now that'd be a dream. But it's all intelectual property and I'm sure there are legal issues with that, since Lego owns it.

I've been enjoying these screen-accurate recreations people do, it is quite amazing. I'm wondering if any of these screen accurate models can be built in real life at all, because especially the green dragon would need to have support structures built into it so the neck doesn't fall due to the weight of it all.

@zweifuss I hope that one day LEGO would release instructions for the on-screen models, but I don't think that will ever happen. Someone at /r/lego in Reddit tried inquiring instructions for the full-sized Green Ninja Mech Dragon. This was LEGO's response:

x3jho62hecez.jpg

It is interesting, but a little disappointing at the same time. When I first read this, it was time for me to build my own replica of the one from the movie.

The screen accurate models can be built in real-life, but there are issues you will run into. For example, certain parts appearing in colors they're not molded in, non-existent parts, which include the resized 23798 tire used for the Quake Mech, and the jaw and snout pieces used for the movie version dragon mech. Also, the models can be heavy, like what you mentioned with the dragon mech's neck. The last problem is that it will not be sturdy enough. So, you will need to modify the design.

Edited by GLAP23

@GLAP23 And I was thinking about this the other day, they must cheat when they build these models for the movies. Surely the insides are not fully fleshed out, the skeletons, the structures.... I think they are made to look cool on the outside but not much thought is put into build ability or play-ability. I can't believe the official Lego people would say such a thing, it's blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes on their head that the mechs are different. At first glance, yes, they look the same, but especially Garmadon's Mech and his shark mech are way smaller than what is in the movie. I love the movie more for the designs than the story, I gotta admit.  

@zweifuss I like the movie just for the mech designs too. It has some of the best looking mechs in the franchise.

Another new update for the Green Ninja Mech Dragon:

Green%20Ninja%20Mech%20Dragon%20Engines.

The engines are now the way they are in the movie. Download Link

Unfortunately, there has not been any progress of the Fire Mech due to the complexity of the model, but there will be more soon.

Some more progress for the Fire Mech.

Right leg:

Fire%20Mech%20Foot%202.png

The Technic parts behind the leg are hard to figure out.

Left arm:

Fire%20Mech%20Arm%202.png

I have managed to attach the arm to the shoulder. Now I just need to figure out how to attach the rest of the shoulder armor.

Absolutely stunning work. As a handful of AFOLS who love The Ninjago Movie, this makes me so happy!!! These are the UCS versions of the released set! Thanks you for doing this!