Sign in to follow this  
DonRamon1981

My first Pirate Moc

Hello all...

I like to share my first adult built pirate moc, I call it my first as it is my first Pirate Moc for more than 25 years. As I made the Bountys to red coat ships, they have now 4 with the two Flagships, the Black Seas Barracuda as a Blue Coat Ship, and the cargo moc, I had to build a big Pirate ship for my son. This is the final version as I changed it over the past. Never been satisfied until now so I will share it to know how you like it. Maybe you got some ideas of improvement. 

I build it just of my castle and Lego city and pirate parts of the 80s, he carrebean clippers I had and just the fence and windows as new bought parts for cents, and the Sails for just 15 Euro. 

I took some ideas off the Big Flagship and the Black Pearl to design it my own way, and added a bed inside the cabin cause never saw one inside the official lego ships.

Here it is:

a0d4d0-1540049786.jpg

8ec5cc-1540049869.jpg

76a0a7-1540049941.jpg

146dc3-1540050016.jpg

1a35b5-1540050077.jpg

455d26-1540050130.jpg

I, for two, like it. The light grey is subtle, but I like that you sewed in other colors. It's tempting to get "blackshipped" when doing pirates. :head_back:

Keep MOC-ing. 

MAC

Thanks. As you have way more experience in that, I saw a lot of great ships that made mine looking like a kid have build it ;-) so do you have some advices of improvement? 

I had almost every Castle Set from 86 to 89, along with that Pirates Stuff and Lego City and Space (it was all called just LEGOLAND in that time) I still have a lot of black and grey parts. 

My next project is to make a second blue coat ship. I would love the style somebody made called the Admirals Eagle. I love that ship I would by it in a heartbeat, sad that lego did never a blue coat one after the Caribbean Clipper. 

So my next Moc I will buy some parts and start the Blue Coat Ship that can pair with my Blue Coats Black Seas Barracuda. And as I also have the Eldorado Fortress it makes nice looking forces for the Blue Coats.

I am thinking of white and blue Palisade Parts just like the Brown ones used in the Bounty 1 and 2 and the Flagship. 

Further I will need new Window Parts and some blue white sails or just white.

I will start that one after my son's birthday and Christmas.

Also the poor build Cargo Ship would need an update. 

I still have cannons, hull parts, but I am lack of window parts and good looking doors. 

Appreciate ideas for the from of the ship as I want to build that higher for the Blue Coat Ship, but failed already to fullfill my ideas for the pirate ship as you can see the front is the same level like the rest of the ship. 

I am not 100% happy with that. Due to lack of ideal parts you maybe can help me with ideas what kind of parts I can use to get it done. Not the way the Flagship is build at is fragile by playing it sometimes, and I want some stable ship that my son can play without needing to fix something everytime. 

My son wants a second blue coat ship so he will get that early 2019. 

Welcome aboard! I'm somewhat new to the moc scene as well.

I like your color (not too flashy, but not too monotonous), and you have a very creative method of attaching the front sail (and it looks good!). I also like your angled stern.

I have some suggestions that might help.

Try using google to find ship mocs that you like. The Admiral's Eagle is a great example. Look at parts that you like from that ship, other mocs, and licensed lego ships. Copy those techniques/ideas for your next ship!

I also like to use the bricklink stud.io program. To get better at using it, I looked up lego pirate ship instructions (like the Black Pearl or Brick Bounty or Imperial Flagship) and then built them in stud.io. I design using that, then I built with my own parts. This helps me figure out if I need to order any new parts from Bricklink to finish my design.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Welcome aboard! I'm somewhat new to the moc scene as well.

I like your color (not too flashy, but not too monotonous), and you have a very creative method of attaching the front sail (and it looks good!). I also like your angled stern.

I have some suggestions that might help.

Try using google to find ship mocs that you like. The Admiral's Eagle is a great example. Look at parts that you like from that ship, other mocs, and licensed lego ships. Copy those techniques/ideas for your next ship!

I also like to use the bricklink stud.io program. To get better at using it, I looked up lego pirate ship instructions (like the Black Pearl or Brick Bounty or Imperial Flagship) and then built them in stud.io. I design using that, then I built with my own parts. This helps me figure out if I need to order any new parts from Bricklink to finish my design.

Good luck!

That's exactly what I will do next thanks. Use my parts that I still have left buy new parts that I can build a second blue coat ship beside my BSB. 

It will take a while because I don't have really enough time before new years, but I like the idea of mixing design elements from one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen, the Admirals Eagle. 

Thanks! :classic:

Edited by DonRamon1981
Added something

I love the windows at the back, though I saw that before I saw the rest of the ship, and expected something much larger with how grand those windows look.  It's a very unique choice that I think looks really great.  Perhaps the captain has big plans for his future, or finds himself entertaining company on a regular basis?

When I got back into Lego several years ago now, I initially used sails from the old sets, but I gave those up very quickly (partially because I couldn't believe how much the sails cost, partially because they're kind of restrictive).  When I say "quickly", I mean to the point that by the time I finished my first MOC in its original configuration, it had custom sails.  Fortunately, this site has a lot of great information on how to do pretty much everything.  For instance, if you want to take a stab at your own sails, there's a very good tutorial here:

Also, you might want to check out what is probably the most common hull building technique on this site, commonly referred to as the "Captain Greenhair Method".  It can be kind of annoying, especially if you try to set it up in a digital design program, and takes a little tinkering, but the finished product looks great.

I really like the old bow and stern hull pieces, but I've found they are typically best used for larger ships.  The newer hull ends are readily adaptable to either large or small ships, IMO, and are typically easier to work with (especially at the stern).  I still like the old ones, though, because I'm old and I like a challenge!  It's good to see other ships coming out using them regardless of size.  That you've built such a nice smaller ship on them is a testament to your capabilities.  I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with your next project!

I just noticed that you said you want a ship your son can play with without having to fix things constantly.  If you're after that with your bluecoat ship, I advise against the Greenhair method as it's a little fragile.  If you want a ship for yourself, though, you might want to examine it.

Thanks a lot. I am receiving a lot of compliments on that stern I build. I used my old hull ends from the carribean clipper for that ship and hat the idea of the windows because of all that ships I watched at the battle of Trafalgar. 

I have another idea to modify it, will try that out in my blue coat ship project for January. 

They all have to be playable, because my son love the ships and sometimes we play 8 hours nonstop at the weekend when we are at my flat in North Berlin. When we are in the other flat, were we are 90% of the time, there he have his second love: lego train. He got his first couple of days ago at his 5th birthday, he loves that more than ships. But I haven't the same passion as I never owned trains in Lego. But I play the same time with him doesn't matter what and how.

But my love stays with the Pirates theme. His too as we wanted to have something like a pirate gold rush at his birthday. A treasure with golf coins (chocolate inside) was made for him.

So we will definitely be back there making ships. 

Will try to take some design elements from admirals eagle and add my own ones and the idea to variate that stern I made for the pirates. 

It won't be big like the 2010 Flagship as he have trouble to play it because of his age and the size of the ship. His favourite size are the bounties that's why the pirates received the same size. And I also think the next blue coat will get this handable size for him. 

Long term I really want to make another big Flagship for the Blue Coats, as the BSB is their Flagship since 1989 already - receiving new sails and crew recently. 

Another long term project would be a base for the red coats. But that comes way after the ships.

My son wanted the red sails badly so we changed it again. Not the ship itself just the front and masts / sails. That's the end product of my son's improvements to the ship:

757843-1542455168.jpg

The inside area wasn't changed at all:

b7e365-1542455229.jpg

78bb1b-1542455317.jpg

9c2f05-1542455382.jpg

f4c06c-1542456233.jpg

Compared to the other sails... I made a good ship but my son made it look excellent. ?

Edited by DonRamon1981