LEGO Train 12 Volts

Lego Idea Chemical Plant

19 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

It's a pity that a so beautiful project hasn't won :wall:

Now it's official for me: I'll have to build the chemical plant on my own! :sadnew:

Agreed! This was the one idea I was really excited about. 

22 hours ago, Toastie said:

Question Ymarilego: Do you plan on/have already/want to sell/want to share building instructions? I love to have this my office (there is more LEGO already:wink:) - this would really stand out and make my point: Having fun and doing hard work go very well with each other - when you want that.

All the best,
Thorsten 

Question: @Ymarilego do you know that are available on ebay these instructions?

Chemical 001

and

Chemical 002

has anyone already copied you? *oh2*

I've found also this link:

Chemical 003

I didn't know there were so many chemical industry enthusiasts...

LT12V

I was excited for this as well. Unlike the Steamboat Willie or Flintstones sets, this is one I'd actually want.

Shame it didn't get approved.

Yeah, shame it didn't get approved.

I would have bought it too, more than once.

20 hours ago, Bludchylde said:

Unlike the Steamboat Willie or Flintstones sets, this is one I'd actually want.

I totally agree ..and I don't understand how Steamboat Willie could have been chosen :enough:

The Chemical Plant was by far and away my favorite Ideas submission so far.  I quite literally wanted to buy at least 3 copies.  I really don't understand Lego's selection process at all.  This seemed like a perfect set.  Crossover appeal to both City and Trains while also being something Lego has never really done.  My town needs more industrial zoning darn it.  Ironically the Chemical Plant also would have served as a terrific parts pack for Space builds. 

I am starting to think Lego really should offer a crowdfund attempt on any submission that hits 10,000 votes (and is not otherwise in IP rights conflict)  I suspect the "results" of Ideas would be rather different if people had to put their money where their mouth is and actually pre-order.  I almost wonder if the Bricklink Designer Program is a test bed for the concept.  I bet the Chemical Plant would have done extremely well under that system even at the $200-300 it likely would have cost.

Well add me to those willing to buy instructions if Ymarilego decides to make them.

6 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

The Chemical Plant was by far and away my favorite Ideas submission so far.  I quite literally wanted to buy at least 3 copies.  I really don't understand Lego's selection process at all.  This seemed like a perfect set.  Crossover appeal to both City and Trains while also being something Lego has never really done.  My town needs more industrial zoning darn it.  Ironically the Chemical Plant also would have served as a terrific parts pack for Space builds. 

I am starting to think Lego really should offer a crowdfund attempt on any submission that hits 10,000 votes (and is not otherwise in IP rights conflict)  I suspect the "results" of Ideas would be rather different if people had to put their money where their mouth is and actually pre-order.  I almost wonder if the Bricklink Designer Program is a test bed for the concept.  I bet the Chemical Plant would have done extremely well under that system even at the $200-300 it likely would have cost.

I agree one hundred percent on that: the chemical plant would have been a perfect set both for city and trains and a rich source of pieces also for other uses.

The idea of a crowfund would be really appropriate.

I would have liked to see this set for sale. But from an ecological point of view, TLG can not release a set whose theme is industry and which is polluting ...

They literally approved the worst option available - the dinosaurs are completely useless; they don't really fit any theme, and you'd have to build some 20,000+ piece museum just to make them work for town.

I can't stand the Lego people who are in charge of Ideas. I hardly even visit the website anymore because I know that I'm going to see something awesome that will never get approved. It's an infuriating place.

4 hours ago, higgins91 said:

I would have liked to see this set for sale. But from an ecological point of view, TLG can not release a set whose theme is industry and which is polluting ...

I assume none of us wants to live in the pre-industrial area, thus, industry is not bad per se. If Lego takes environmental issues seriously, they must stop making car models immediately and only produce train sets. Of course only electric ones, steam trains are dirty. :grin:

I fully agree that the result of the last Ideas review is among the worst in the Ideas history. If Lego wants the dinosaurs skeleton so badly, they should have simply chosen two sets. I don't want to say that the dinosaurs set is bad, but it's not what the majority of customers want. Dinosaurs work for kids, but only dinosaurs, not dinosaurs skeletons. Other themes get by far more sets per year, sometimes really crappy ones. Its hard to understand that Ideas does not play a bigger role in the Lego universe.

Crowdfunding can indeed be an option to see more fan designs on shelves. However, the strange fishes are certainly not the way to go, I doubt Forma is a success story. If Lego had chosen designs that fans actually want, the crowdfunding idea would have worked out much better.

14 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

I fully agree that the result of the last Ideas review is among the worst in the Ideas history. If Lego wants the dinosaurs skeleton so badly, they should have simply chosen two sets. 

They did choose 2 sets, the piano is still up for consideration.

Just now, TeriXeri said:

They did choose 2 sets, the piano is still up for consideration.

Right.

The idea behind Ideas is to turn unique designs into products and avoid products that have been done before. This explains most of the (bad) decisions the ideas team did in the past. The error in reasoning is that customers want new ideas, but they don't. Let's face it, most of the submissions are buildings, vehicles and space-teamed designs and Lego does at most one product per category, rejecting all the others.

What would be necessary is to split up Ideas into two product lines, one that keeps the focus on novel ideas. And another one, for outstanding but not so novel designs like modulars, cars and trains. The latter one can be crowdfunded.

4 hours ago, higgins91 said:

Oh, from an ecological point of view TLG should stop making LEGO bricks at all.

(ABS is not necessarily that environmentally friendly to make nor does it biodegrade over decades and decades - this is why we can still use the bricks from the early days of TLG. However, no one in the world will throw LEGO bricks into the garbage - and this is why the latter is not an issue at all, of course)

Plus: A chemical plant is not intrinsically "polluting". Plus: No chemical plants = no nothing other than what nature provides us with. And: No LEGO bricks at all; wooden bricks won't clutch as nicely … nor would the have any other color as "wooden" and biodegrade rather rapidly - particularly as the usage of any long-lived precious wood is not environmentally tolerable as well, of course.   

From that perspective, TLG should really release the set as it is the reason of existence of TLG. Which adds an even existential philosophy dimension to the set :wink:

All the best,
Thorsten   

I think this MOC is awesome and the more I look at it, the more I like it.

It has a lot of details, but it's really thought as a Lego Set from the beginning. It has all, the wagon, the truck, minifigures...and it's playable. :laugh:

Speaking of the set and the designer/builder, Ymarlingo, has many others that share the precision and attention to detail that we would all like to see in plans or as kits. I hope they are released for the rest of us as soon as TLG allows.

This set was really nice looking, and the Octan color scheme was great.

Selling instructions, custom kits or anything, isn't allowed, by the IDEAS guidelines, but free sharing is.

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines

Now, Crowdfunding might be different, I dunno. I don't want to sound negative here, as it's a great unique set.

Edited by TeriXeri

Thank you all for the kind words about chemical plant. I do not understand why I do not get a message when someone mentions me, so my apologies for responding late.
I was disappointed when the model was not chosen, but so be it. In the meantime some &^%$#@%& russian copied my model and is selling instructions while I am bound by a 3 year contract with LEGO for a design they do not intend to make......... :(
I am looking into that crowdfunding coop program they did with Bricklink. Maybe there is a chance there.

@ Knotian : you asked about pictures of the large Blast Furnace. There are some on my flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/144703642@N05/

On 6/1/2019 at 6:28 PM, Toastie said:

From that perspective, TLG should really release the set as it is the reason of existence of TLG. Which adds an even existential philosophy dimension to the set :wink:

All the best,
Thorsten   

Holy words my friend, holy words! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Ymarilego said:

In the meantime some &^%$#@%& russian copied my model and is selling instructions while I am bound by a 3 year contract with LEGO for a design they do not intend to make......... :(

What a pity, I had the suspect it wasn't you! :sadnew:

During this week end I'm started to work on my own chemical plant, I hope to show my progress next months...

On 6/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ymarilego said:

Some of you asked about instructions. I am not allowed to sell instructions for models that are in Ideas but I have made instructions for some models. You can find them on my FB site https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ymaribricks/posts/?ref=page_internal

Thanks for that. I will have to order some of those soon.  Your industrial builds are top notch and something my city/train layout is sorely lacking.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:59 PM, higgins91 said:

TLG can not release a set whose theme is industry and which is polluting

In that case they shouldn't have released the BWE and R9800 too
Talking about pollution....pfieuw

On 6/1/2019 at 6:28 PM, Toastie said:

nor does it biodegrade over decades and decades

Right.
We find Lego here daily on the Northsee beaches.

4 hours ago, coinoperator said:

Right.
We find Lego here daily on the Northsee beaches.

Too bad there is no handheld ABS detector thingy. I live about an hour or two from the Netherland's shores away. Vacation time would be LEGO skimming time for me :laugh:

Best
Thorsten

7 hours ago, coinoperator said:

In that case they shouldn't have released the BWE and R9800 too
Talking about pollution....pfieuw

there is a difference between a construction machine for which pollution is not "visible" in a lego set and a chemical industry that immediately evokes pollution.
Still, I find this set great and that I supported it on idea ...

Once a model is passed up by TLG, they should release the builder from all obligation. Talk about bad business plan.