Feuer Zug

Hogwarts Express 75955 Modification

Like many others, I felt the latest release of the Hogwarts Express was lacking. In turn, I have stuffed an M motor in the boiler, radically altered the rods (based on the Emerald Night), put the PF receiver and battery box in the tender, and added doors to the carriage (Again, a la EM). The overall effect I think is much better visually and because I can run it at events now. I've included an internals picture so anybody wishing to see how it was done and get ideas is more than welcome to.

45445794021_c107c86b75_k.jpg

45445813901_d0d032100d_k.jpg

30505523587_a5c7e55931_k.jpg

45445815831_e457c4a1a7_k.jpg

45445816861_873fb524b8_k.jpg

45393686462_20f9274f76_b.jpg

The last one links to a video of the train in action. I can't remember how to link a Flickr video right...

Edited by Feuer Zug
Getting the video to properly link.

Thanks very much for posting this. I would love to build this set how you have, so it's great to have references! 

I may never do so, as I will only have one train at some point, and haven't got the space for a couple more years, but will see what I end up getting when the time comes! Still holding out that Lego makes another train similar to Emerald in the near future! Would be great to see one like it!!! 

It is always really cool to see what people come up for motorizing the Hogwarts Express! 

May I ask if you use several 6589 technic 12 tooth bevel gears to connect the wheels to the motor? 

I wonder why Lego never gets the Hogwarts Express right. Is there anybody who has not modified it?

It must be even more frustrating for children than for AFOLs that motoring the train is difficult, that the coupling is incompatible with other trains, ...

7 hours ago, Gideon8 said:

It is always really cool to see what people come up for motorizing the Hogwarts Express! 

May I ask if you use several 6589 technic 12 tooth bevel gears to connect the wheels to the motor? 

I use three of the 12 tooth bevel gears and a 20 tooth gear. The 20 tooth is attached to the M motor.

2 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

I wonder why Lego never gets the Hogwarts Express right. Is there anybody who has not modified it?

It must be even more frustrating for children than for AFOLs that motoring the train is difficult, that the coupling is incompatible with other trains, ...

Many seem to have modified it. For the coupling issue, I think the included version is easier for kids as they can rig that up with possible spare parts much easier than trying to get the real magnetic couplers. I did modify the rear of the tender and BR Mk I car to have the magnetic version though. But I got the extra couplers by making some passenger trains use Jacobs bogies.

13 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

I use three of the 12 tooth bevel gears and a 20 tooth gear. The 20 tooth is attached to the M motor.

Is this method illustrated anywhere?

8 hours ago, kibosh said:

Is this method illustrated anywhere?

Here's some pics of the mechanical setup. I tried to keep it simple, yet with the motor over the drivers for enhanced traction.

44613914705_46d120222a_z.jpg

43710333560_f1b78e564d_z.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Okay cool! Thanks. I like that you kept the original stove with the wires running out of it. 

I have another question for you. How does your M-Motor run since that you use the 20 tooth instead of another 12 tooth? I would imagine that the up-gearing would stress the motor, cause it to reach its limit, and shut it down..... Did you try to run the train for more than 15 minutes? That happened with my Carousel before I down-geared it to help the M-Motor....

2 hours ago, Gideon8 said:

Okay cool! Thanks. I like that you kept the original stove with the wires running out of it. 

I have another question for you. How does your M-Motor run since that you use the 20 tooth instead of another 12 tooth? I would imagine that the up-gearing would stress the motor, cause it to reach its limit, and shut it down..... Did you try to run the train for more than 15 minutes? That happened with my Carousel before I down-geared it to help the M-Motor....

The M motor is sped up, but this reduces the torque. I haven't run the Hogwarts Express much, but when I ran a similar setup on another locomotive, the M motor ran all day with no problems.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Here's some pics of the mechanical setup. I tried to keep it simple, yet with the motor over the drivers for enhanced traction.

Ahhhhhh...  That's brilliant.  Thank you!