Hello,

My question is open, I would like to know your solution to motorized a diorama, to light lamp or other thing.

Currently I am working on a theme park and I will use an arduino to control 3 engine with different speed and in different time.

And one question occurs. Why lego does not create a good system for AFOL?

Bye

"Why lego does not create a good system for AFOL?" as with a lot of AFOL-only things: it is too niche for them! 

14 hours ago, Tassiruam said:

Why lego does not create a good system for AFOL?

The EV3 does not qualify? What is it you are looking for?

I have been combining Arduino processors and Lego for a while now.  I've always found the graphical programming environment lacking in abilities.  Lately I've added the use of servo motors for actuation of pneumatic valves, railroad points, and monorail switches.  Using C++ to create the code works best for me but I realize not everyone appreciates that style of programming.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Jim said:

The EV3 does not qualify? What is it you are looking for?

I never test the EV3 system but after discussion with a lego seller, he told me that the EV3 is monotask, and I would like to control different sensor and actuator in the same time.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, JopieK said:

"Why lego does not create a good system for AFOL?" as with a lot of AFOL-only things: it is too niche for them! 

Why do they not create an EV3 system compliant with all their motor and able to be multitask?

2 hours ago, Tassiruam said:

I never test the EV3 system but after discussion with a lego seller, he told me that the EV3 is monotask, and I would like to control different sensor and actuator in the same time.

Why do they not create an EV3 system compliant with all their motor and able to be multitask?

The controller brick can control up to 4 motors at the same time, each working independently.  It can also accept up to 4 independent inputs.  You can run one motor while another waits for a signal from an input to start running.  Seems like multitasking, but maybe I'm missing something.

Controlling different motors and sensors at the same time is what Minstorms is all about. Not sure why the LEGO seller would say that?!

Tassiruam

Back to the original question. The EV3 has some restrictions as to number of motors it can control BUT there are ways around it. There is a infra red transmitter that can be used on one port to drive an IR sensor which can control two motors. There is a multiplexer that allows one post to control multiple motors. You can daisy chain EV3's (up to 4) to control multiple motors and sensors. You can go the SBrick route and handle 4 receivers each with four motors. You need to do some basic research and establish the direction you want to go. You need to determine if you want to stay Lego or go mixed or go to simple computers for control like  Arduino. You need to choose between staying with the Lego language or go to another.

Bottom line -- once you go past the basics there is "The great Unknown". Take your time and choose wisely grasshopper.

Ed

42 minutes ago, knotian said:

There is a infra red transmitter that can be used on one port to drive an IR sensor which can control two motors.

Which IR Transmitter are you referring to? I am in the midst of doing some stuff with IR so I am interested to know the options. (maybe this warrants a separate topic)

2 hours ago, knotian said:

I was referring to the HiTechnic Infrared Link.

I figured you were talking about that one. I have been looking for an EV3-G block, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore. They removed it after a certain firmware version (or something like that). Do you know if there is a block that works with the latest firmware? I was about to order one or two sensors, but only if I can (also) use them in EV3-G.

No you are going to have to go to a language. Evidently they had the blocks but lego changed EV3 protocols and it does not work any more. I was working with it a couple of years ago. Their tech support may be able to help.

Ed

Just now, knotian said:

No you are going to have to go to a language. Evidently they had the blocks but lego changed EV3 protocols and it does not work any more. I was working with it a couple of years ago. Their tech support may be able to help.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I am currently working with PFMate, which works fine. But I do like the form factor of the IR link better. It simply matches my other sensors better. Maybe I will bit the bullet and get one (or two). They will work with RobotC and probably leJos too.

On 10/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, Tassiruam said:

Hello,

My question is open, I would like to know your solution to motorized a diorama, to light lamp or other thing.

Currently I am working on a theme park and I will use an arduino to control 3 engine with different speed and in different time.

And one question occurs. Why lego does not create a good system for AFOL?

Bye

It depends on the requirements.   For my bunny slope module that I sent down to BrickWorld with my LUG, I use a $2 chinese PWM motor control module to regulate the M-motor speed.  It is hidden plus if U.S. Customs seize the van, I won't be out too much $$$.  I recently added train crossing gates to the module.  I used a Mindstorm NXT to control the gate now that the module is back in country.  The chinese PWM module was replaced with Power Functions.  I kept everything naked so our spectators can see how it works. It's also easier for my fellow LUG members to explain how it works and point out components.

Maybe LEGO don't see enough return on investment to develop such a system for AFOL.

Here is our motorized layout: