The topic is updated with detailed review:

Hi! I’m glad to show you my new MOC made for Lego and Volvo contest. The task was “Build construction equipment of the future”.

31480496468_3096441f5a_b.jpg

My little pet was designed special for Mars developing. Artificial intelligence allows this machine to perform different operations simultaneously. This monster replaces excavator, loader, tunneler, dozer. It can be used for road construction, tunnel boring, preparation of construction sites and many other tasks. All-around lighting system and cameras form 3D vision of the surrounding scene in a wide electromagnetic spectrum. Because of low solar irradiance on Mars the machine is powered by a compact nuclear reactor.

Model features: 100 x 36 x 45 cm, weight - 7.4 kg. The model contains 16 motors.

1. Chassis

- All-track drive (4x XL-motor)

- Independent steering for crab mode up to 90 degrees and zero turning radius (4x M-motor)

44632169534_2e8bf97203_b.jpg

- Central pylon has an automatic leveling system. The tilt sensor is the weight on a pendant. If lengthwise tilt occurs the weight turns the motor on (buggy motor, I just have no wires for PF motors). The motor is interfaced with four linear actuators which level the superstructure

44632169104_7d98bd8673_b.jpg

- Central pylon has two co-axial independent turntables for different equipment

2. Loader

- 360 degrees rotation (M-motor)

- Boom lifting mechanism (L-motor)

- Boom extension with synchronized counterweight movement (mechanical binding, M-motor)

31480495638_19a20af56d_b.jpg

- Bucket loading and unloading (M-motor)

3. Tunneler

- 360 degrees rotation (M-motor)

- Boom tilting mechanism (L-motor)

- Drilling head has five types of movement (XL-motor). The central part rotates fast in forward direction, the second part – in opposite direction, the third part – slowly in forward direction, eight additional cutters rotate in perpendicular plane. In addition, the whole drilling head unit moves in a reciprocating manner like a puncher

31480494998_4dcaa3f610_b.jpg

- Because of absence of liquid water on Mars I suggest to use a huge vacuum cleaner to remove dust from drilling (you can see six working propellers near the drilling head)

All the functions have remote control except for the leveling system – it operates automatically.

Please enjoy the video:

Thanks for watching!

44632169844_8742daa0bb_b.jpg

Edited by desert752

What a beast! *oh2* All features are very well done, congrats! I'd love to know more about that automatic leveling system if possible, looks very interesting.

18 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Monster! 

I can't add even more! It's an amazing (ehh… Martian robo-dozer?). I don't know how to call it but I love it :snicker:

Really great MOC. I especially enjoyed the driller animation (such an awful monster nose) and how fast the auto-tilt reacts on the surface changes, nearly immediately. :thumbup:

This is one seriously amazing bit of kit. Everything looks brilliant and works great, and I can just imagine Volvo producing this sort of machine for terraforming work. This is what it would be. :thumbup:

Looks nice. But I have a serious issue with the base structure bending quite heavily under its own load. This indicates lots of stress on the beams attaching the chaindrives.....

Thank you for many kind words :)

2 AkiyamaWataruThe structure isn't bended - it's an optical effect because of tracks aren't parallel to the ground surface.

kbalagegeneral idea is to connect electric switch and free hanging weight by one axis. The execution is a bit more tricky though )

Nice huge work!

The drilling arm is terrific! Any chance to see what's inside?

Brilliantly done! Lots of very well thought out and executed functions. The Mobile Construction Vehicle (MCV) from the command & Conquer game series instantly came to mind. I'm guessing the nuclear powerplant is of the fusion variety (rather than fission)?

Wow! I had not realised the size until I watched the video and realised the tracks were “normal” tracks. Incredible how many features you included in this build. And they kept surprising with their execution. The extending arms + fully functioning digging mechanism, the two tools turning above each other, the drill with the retracting black box, etc. I also like you tried to simulate the red planet landscape. My compliments and good luck!

Great MOC and I love the double turntable setup and self levelling.

But for me the look of the bent track arms (optical illusion as you say) is a bit weird for me.

and most importantly, I fail to see how the drill rig would be any good other than a very shallow drill hole in limited directions? Especially as there is limited overhang to the undercarriage in the direction of travel. Or does the drill arm have a telescoping out feature that I missed? 

I do however love the way you made the drill rig action. Fricken awesome.

9 hours ago, desert752 said:

take a look to the real tunneler :)

oh interesting. looks like they tunnel flat bottom smaller (in real life) tunnels.  I see how they work now, with a sweeping arm. thanks for the enlightenment  :thumbup: 

Yeah, again, you're one of my favourites. I don't see mine getting into the winning 3 but yours is going to the top! And deserved too!

I've just seen this machine for first time and I'm amazed. Kudos to you. And it isn' just the build what makes me tip my hat, but the ideas behind the functions as well. Best of luck with it.:thumbup:

I too can’t believe I missed this. It’s fantastic! I love the functionality, especially the way that drill moves, it’s brilliant. Really mesmerising.