Sign in to follow this  
Wineyard

Challenge I: The Gate of Schwarzburg

The small town of Schwarzburg was in a terrible state when Lord Wineyard took power in the area. The town was almost abandoned egen before the Great War and was to a large extent demolished during the war. But the few families that still resides within the walls of Schwarzburg needs protection and therefore Lord Wineyard has begun rebuilding the outer fortifications.

Lord Wineyard listens closely to his architect, who describes the next step in the building process. The young squire and the old general watch closely.

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Outside the castle, workers dig a moat around the castle.

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Lord Wineyard uses the few soldiers he has to guard the most important parts of the wall.

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Gate of  Schwarzburg

The stonecutters and mansons have worked day and night to rebuild the wall. The crane operator on the other hand needs to speed up.

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Some local woodcutters have joined the effort to rebuild the town. They have cut down a few mighty Avalonian oaks to build wooden hoardings.

Gate of  Schwarzburg

In the near future the town will hopefully regain some of its former glory!

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Gate of  Schwarzburg

Thanks to @adde51, @Gideon , @Zilmrud, @Peter S and @dalle for all feedback! #swedishlegomafia

Comments and criticism are welcomed!

Edited by Wineyard

Great to see that your build was finished in time!

I really like all the nice texture and details that you put in the stonework, the shape of the roofs, the curved tile arches (and lbg gothic arches, finally!) and the fig posing generally :classic:

On the photography side my main suggestions for improvement would be to mind the direction of the light, right now the shadows are in the same direction as the building which looks a bit weird, they would have been better at an angle in my opinion. I also think it would have been nice to cover up the visible colorful parts of the Moduverse base :wink:

So #SwedishLegoMafia is now officially a thing...?

Thanks @Gideon! Couldn’t do it without your help!

Ah! Yeah, that is a good suggestion! I always find the photography part of a Lego project the hardest!

It seems like that at least :laugh:

Amazing build! All the little details add so much, and the parts usage for the under-construction wall are great!

I'm never going to criticise anyone elses photography because mine has always been terrible...

What I really like about this castle is the textures that fit together but are subtly different which makes it look like different parts were built/repaired at slightly different times.  The texturing on and in the walls is great, especially the arches built into  the wall.

I also like the custom portcullis!

Lovely build! :wub: I especially like the rooflines, the covered walkway, the little turret and the subtle flaring at the base of the walls. So many great touches with the weathered walls and the workmen repairing them too. :thumbup:

What a cool and Large build! The walls... the mill.... amazing details.Cant wait for the other parts...

I like the wall especially the fact you put some decaying parts on the outside.  The interior part is nice with the arches, wheel, and guys working on the wood parts.  Nice build.  

Really nice work! Lots of nice little architectural touches here, around the gate opening, the windows and the wooden palisade. You've done a great job showing the damage and the work in progress, overall a great entry.

Wow, that is super cool, I love the roofs!  Also the wheelbarrow is great, and there is so much awesome designing and detail! 

Excellent build!  Good use of variety in the build without getting "messy" and a very solid structural silhouette.  Love the wheelbarrow and the wheel, the scaffolding, windows and archway are well done - Great job!

I think this is one of my favorite town gates.  The swivel bases as decoration near the roof peaks, the great high sloped roofs, the hoardings, the vaulted door frames, the level of detail with posing minis in the rebuild, the great color choices and the use of the portcullis piece really all speak to a lot of thought that went into this, and it shows.  I like the olive mixed with green on the grass, and the subtle slope of the batter at the bottom of the wall is a very nice touch that may be noticed by the subconscious, but lends to a much more realistic scene.  Keep up the awesome work!

Great job man, the roof is definately my favourite part of this build, love all the angles :sweet: 

Incredible gatehouse! It's realistically large, features beautiful detailing, and those roofs :wub:
The main arch design is super cool, and you did well showing the repair work on the walls. Fun way to allow a minifigure to carry a log on his shoulder too :classic:

The architectural style of the building is something we don't get a lot of in the Guilds, at least in the time I've been around, and that's a good thing! I love the steep roofs and the sloped bases to the walls. The arrowslits are nicely done, and the inclusion of so many different arches is very nice, too, keeping it interesting without being distracting. Your build does something that I have a hard time quantifying, but is what I feel when I look at a building whose architecture I especially like: it is asymmetrical yet balanced, detailed yet simple, playing on a similar motif but willing to play a bit with it... You have a good sense of proportion and balance, which comes across in the build. Very nicely done. 

Wow, this is great! :wub:  I really like the highly sloped roofs and general architectural shaping.  The texture of the walls is perfect at this scale too. :thumbup:

Well deserved winner Wineyard!

The gatehouse looks outstandning but my eyes keep falling in the figs and the building structures around the gate. :wub: