Sign in to follow this  
chewbacher

Challenge I - Brick by Brick

Brick by brick we must start anew. With their village left in ruins from the war, what was left of the two Avalonian families decided to rebuild in the country-side in the hope of hiding away from further turmoil.

IMG_2712

IMG_2732

Somewhere to cook was the first priority. A hearty meal was on the minds of all the workers as they would not rest until the first structure, the kitchen, was completed.

IMG_2734IMG_2726

It was bittersweet news to hear that the war was over but it did not sit well to see the soldiers returning home in such a poor state. The price of freedom was perhaps at the cost of the sons of Avalonia.

IMG_2736

IMG_2739

Will be uploading some more photos of the build onto my Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/2aEUsx6

Nice detailed build with some really great details!
My favorite is probably the floor tile laying, where having tiles instead of plates where the tiles are missing gave the scene a much better look :thumbup:

I like the presentation style focusing on individual figures in the build, but I'm missing at least one overview shot showing the whole build.
I would also recommend making sure that the pictures are sharp. In the case of the floor tile worker, using a tripod or other support for the camera (easiest) or having much more light would have helped as 1/30 s handheld seems to have been too long to hold the camera steady. ISO 3200 is also unnecessarily high, so a tripod and 1/2-1 s shutter would have given the cleanest image.

There looks like a lot of nice foliage and minifig placement, it's a real shame the photography has let them down here. As @Gideon says, investing in a simple tripod or at least placing the camera on a stable surface will allow you take a longer exposure and therefore lower the ISO (this will remove the graininess from the photos). There's plenty of LEGO photography tutorials online, try starting here. If you need any help please ask!

The bench in the third photo is nice and I like the composition of the last shot showing your main character.

2 hours ago, Gideon said:

Nice detailed build with some really great details!

Thanks heaps for the camera advice. I unfortunately had to rush the whole progress and wasn't able to check out the photos as i took them. The link at the bottom has the overall shot ? 

The photography isn't amazing, but it's more than adequate. I didn't feel like there was much detail loss here, but then there's always room for improvement as the others have said.

The standout here is all the little details you thought to include to make this look like a genuine construction project. I also dig the variety of foliage. It makes this seem like a few different builds when you switch angles, which is a pretty cool effect.

I really love that folliage around the moc :) Also great WIP stage with all those wooden poles around

Lots going on in this build - would love to see an overview photo.  I like the tiling of the floor, the lumber and brick stacks are well done,  the landscaping and approaching troops - well done!

Really nice moc with lots of detail. The foliage, the half constructed house and the figure placement are probably my favourite aspects. I can understand why you didn't use the pulled back shot on yr Flickr, the rockwork and the river don't seem to be at the same level of polish as other parts of the build.

22 hours ago, Gabe said:

Really nice moc with lots of detail. 

Thanks, the plants and fig placement are always my favourite parts of a build. It ended up being a rush job for me as I only joined up at the last minute and thought I had to complete it the day before it was due because I'm in Australia ?

Very nice!  I like the level of detail, with laying the tile, rebuilding the roof, to using the punch/chisel on the door (the wand use is great).  There seems to be a lot going on, so it might help the presentation to space things out a bit more.  It almost seems too busy, but there are so many great things going on, it's hard to complain.  Great job!

The mason laying tile is fabulous! Good choice to include pallets of materials outside, that adds a lot to the ongoing construction look :thumbup:
Lovely trees and Avalonian landscape and it's great to see the new bee hive element getting some use in a medieval scene.

This photo would be a nice one to include in your post, as it gives a good impression of the overall setup of the scene:
44416165395_df830ebef3_z.jpg

The construction progress is very well done in this build, with the pallets and the laborers working. It seems strange to me that there is smoke coming from the chimney when there is no visible fire inside... The vegetation is very beautiful and lush, and the build is nicely done as a whole. I just wish you had a shot to allow us to take it all in!

The classic profile of the trees is nice to see and the tile-laying bit is just awesome.  Nice MOC!  :thumbup: