Hmmm if production beings in 2019 for that LEGO movie, then that means is actually TLM3.... 

Because TLBM2 production begun in late 2018, right?

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

For the people who have seen The LEGO Movie 2:

Do you think there is chance for a third one? 

there's always a chance if it'll make em some moneys

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Hmmm if production beings in 2019 for that LEGO movie, then that means is actually TLM3.... 

Because TLBM2 production begun in late 2018, right?

It could be but there's also a chance that what he meant was just that they were working on the script then. 

15 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Because they already have a well established group of characters people already know and love. They have to stick to that. The novelty of the "lego" element is already wearing off a bit. Mostly because this isnt like Toy Story, where you can have different kind of toys from different brands. And Warner didnt help releasing 4 movies in 5 years... Most of reactions to the TLM2 trailers were like "sigh... another one?"

A new LEGO movie about racers with a whole new cast.... Hmmm It would be too much. I dont think people would be interested. It is not worth the risk. If you see the reactions to TLM2, most of the people gave it a shot because they loved the first one. 

Who says it'll just be an original cast, for all we know it would be in a similar vein to the main LEGO movies where they make the leads original characters and have famous LEGO and Pop-culture characters appearing as cameos and supporting cast.

15 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The MCU is using well established characters that have been around for decades. They just make adaptations. I don't quite get the comparison

LEGO and Warner already tried to branch out of TLM movie storyline and every film got a worst reaction than its predecessor, with the exception of TLM2 wich is far superior than Ninjago Movie, which is the point

Well back before 2008, outside of the Hulk none of the phase one or two heros they ADAPTED were popular characters, no-one but a select few comic fans cared about Captain America, it was the fact that (almost) every film they made consistently good in the eyes of the public that made people care about them. By comparison the LEGO franchise has a many more well established characters right of the bat.

Also There are MANY things you can say about WB but if there's one thing they have it's their persistence, how many DCEU films did they make 'till they got the formula right, I doubt they'll give up on LEGO that easily

15 hours ago, LB2341 said:
Found this picture of WAG's 3 year film slate on twitter. If you look closely up in the right hand corner under TBD we see what appears to be a concept poster for the Billion Brick Race.

That's a snazzy poster

14 hours ago, jamesster said:

May be worth noting since in the picture it's ambiguous - the person who posted it is saying those years are when production begins, not release years:

Given the picture states their for the next three years I'd expect there's probably some reworking going on but it'll probably be out before the second half of the 2020's.

A thing that's worth pointing out about the possibility of a "Lego Movie 3" is that the franchise's use of real live-action child actors offers both benefits and drawbacks to a long-term plan. The Lego Movie 2 coming out five real-world years after the first movie allowed made the passing of time for the child actors take center stage, allowing for the radical transformation of the Lego world in the movie from the first's orderly dystopia to the segmented world of the second (both allowing for Finn's interests to morph from childlike optimism to a grittier post-apocalyptic layout and for Bianca to graduate out of playing with Duplo alone and into playing with a wide variety of themes, much like Finn's play in the original). If they were to make a third movie, they would need to continue to take advantage of the aging of their actors if they want to carry on the strong metanarrative of the first two movies, and the amount of time it takes for such a sequel to come about would shape what kind of story structure is best suited for a sequel. Five years from now, Finn will be 18 years old and could plausibly be heading off to college, which could offer some Toy Story 3-esque opportunities. But because the adult voice actors are likely to be less subject to vocal changes than the live action actors are to changes in their appearance, it wouldn't necessarily be impossible to deliver a sequel ten, fifteen, even twenty years from now, by which point Finn and Bianca would both be AFOLs like the Man Upstairs was in the first movie. My point is that that movie would be necessarily different from the one we get if a new movie goes into production immediately and comes out within the next five years. The time table influences the metanarrative, which in turn influences the main narrative.

Anyway, if they do opt to make a third movie to round it out as a trilogy, what do you think they'd call it? "The Lego Movie 3: The Final Step" has a nice ring to it, I think.

23 hours ago, Robert8 said:

... Ninjago movie was bad...

I thought it was good.  I very much enjoyed it.

5 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

... how many DCEU films did they make 'till they got the formula right...

I will let you know when they do.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

I thought it was good.  I very much enjoyed it.

Yeah I don't get why so many people seem to dislike The Ninjago Movie. I really like it.

I can understand why it didn't do so well at the box office, because most parents had never heard of Ninjago so it didn't have the same broad appeal as Lego or Batman, but I think it's great.

The action scenes alone are the best we've seen in a Lego Movie (excluding TLM2 as I haven't seen it yet).

And then the sets based on those mechs were amazing, not to mention the Destiny's Bounty.

Could it be that the movie gets such a bad rep because it's so different from the TV show? I know there was some bad blood about the voice actors being replaced and some lore ret-conning.

38 minutes ago, leafan said:

Yeah I don't get why so many people seem to dislike The Ninjago Movie. I really like it.

I can understand why it didn't do so well at the box office, because most parents had never heard of Ninjago so it didn't have the same broad appeal as Lego or Batman, but I think it's great.

The action scenes alone are the best we've seen in a Lego Movie (excluding TLM2 as I haven't seen it yet).

And then the sets based on those mechs were amazing, not to mention the Destiny's Bounty.

Could it be that the movie gets such a bad rep because it's so different from the TV show? I know there was some bad blood about the voice actors being replaced and some lore ret-conning.

There's the things you mention, but there's also just some weird things about the movie. As action goes, the movie starts strong with a giant mech battle and then... the rest of the movie gets smaller and more contemplative, culminating in a final battle that isn't really much of a battle at all. It's an odd choice to say the least—most movies would start with the human-scale martial arts scenes and build up a massive mech battle for the climax, whereas the Ninjago movie does the exact opposite without any obvious benefit to doing it that way. There's also the fact that it focuses on the father-son relationship between Lloyd and Garmadon to the exclusion of almost every other character, whereas the TV series does a much better job of balancing its ensemble cast.

I didn't hate the Ninjago Movie (and in fact will defend many of its differences from the TV canon if it comes to that, despite being a huge fan of the TV show) but it also didn't quite match the excellence of The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie in my eyes. It was just okay, which makes it pale in comparison to the rest of its pedigree.

16 hours ago, leafan said:

The only reason is because they didn't play cats in the cradle during the Meowthra scene

18 hours ago, x105Black said:

I will let you know when they do.

I meant monetarily 

16 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There's the things you mention, but there's also just some weird things about the movie. As action goes, the movie starts strong with a giant mech battle and then... the rest of the movie gets smaller and more contemplative, culminating in a final battle that isn't really much of a battle at all. It's an odd choice to say the least—most movies would start with the human-scale martial arts scenes and build up a massive mech battle for the climax, whereas the Ninjago movie does the exact opposite without any obvious benefit to doing it that way.

I think the point was that they didn't save the day by just beating the bad guys but by using empathy to understand their side and ending the tension peacefully, apart from the burnt Generals none of the Antagonists at the start of the movie are still villainous by the end

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

17 hours ago, leafan said:

Not to mention the Unicycle mech controlled by a DJing ninja!

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

1 hour ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

The only reason is because they didn't play cats in the cradle during the Meowthra scene

I didn't ever consider this before but now I agree that it would've fit perfectly.

1 hour ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I think the point was that they didn't save the day by just beating the bad guys but by using empathy to understand their side and ending the tension peacefully, apart from the burnt Generals none of the Antagonists at the start of the movie are still villainous by the end

I get that, but even the fight to get back into Garmadon's occupied city leading up to that felt rushed and a bit lacking. I'm fine with a non-violent resolution (and in fact that was one of the things I liked about the movie), but nevertheless so much of the most intense action being frontloaded at the beginning of the movie made the whole movie feel unbalanced in a weird way, almost like the movie's emotional arc and its dramatic arc were inverted instead of going hand in hand. Compared to the previous Lego movies, which I adored without reservation and returned to watch multiple times, I walked out of the theater for TLNM feeling slightly confused and dissatisfied, for reasons that were much more complex and hard to pin down than just the dissimilarity to the TV series.

I actually enjoyed The LEGO Ninjago Movie much more than I thought I would; in fact, I think I probably enjoyed it as much as The LEGO Batman Movie. For me, it’s as funny as TLBM is, and I think the action may actually be the best of any of the movies in this franchise; it really benefits from having Jackie Chan do actual fight choreography (even if it does mean playing even faster and looser with minifigure limitations than the other movies, something I’m not normally particularly enamored with otherwise). That the action starts off with a huge battle and then moves to smaller ones isn’t a problem for me - after all, there are some outstanding films that use similarly unconventional patterns with their action setpieces (Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back comes to mind).

I also admire that the movie breaks from LCU formula in certain ways. Most notably, each of the other three movies include numerous cameos and crossovers with (LEGO versions of) various outside pop-culture properties - DC Comics (fundamental to TLBM, of course, while more of an outside crossover in TLM and TLM2), Middle-Earth, Wizarding World, Star Wars, The Simpsons, and so on, with TLBM adding to the lineup not just existing properties like Doctor Who and The Wizard of Oz, but things that have never had actual physical LEGO products before, like Clash of the Titans, King Kong, and The Matrix (something I admit I found entertaining, but which feels like a bit of a cheat if I’m completely honest). TLNM, OTOH, almost wholly eschews pop-culture references - there are numerous acknowledgements of trappings and tropes associated with martial-arts cinema, say, but IIRC, there aren’t tons of cameos of characters from other entertainment franchises, which was honestly kind of refreshing to me. I love a good pop-culture reference or character crossover as much as the next cinephile, but I think it’s easy for makers of “hip” humor endeavors to become overly reliant on them, and I liked that the makers of TLNM didn’t lazily lean on that button, choosing instead to tell their story using just LEGO-original Ninjago characters.

I certainly think TLNM is the most under appreciated movie in the franchise, both critically and commercially. While I don’t doubt no small number of people found it genuinely wanting in comparison to the truly glorious The LEGO Movie, I think TLNM being the third movie in this series, coming so close on the heels of another spinoff, being based more purely on a toy line than the previous movie (which was part toy, and part commentary on a mythology that has been a cornerstone of popular culture for most of the last century), and with both TLBM and TLNM being just two of at least four toy-based movies released in theaters that year (!), may all have led critics to judge TLNM a bit more harshly than they otherwise would have. I certainly don’t think the reviews would have been so poor if it had come a few years earlier as the first LEGO movie.

Oh, well. It’s still not my favorite, but I do think it’s by far the most under-appreciated entry in the LCU. I look forward to finally seeing it again.

As far as hints at future movies in The LEGO Movie 2 go:

Spoiler

Batman in this movie is introduced towards the beginning as being something of a loner once more, but not in such a way that it feels like a retcon of The LEGO Batman Movie — rather, I get the sense that events BETWEEN The LEGO Batman Movie and The LEGO Movie 2 that were not explained in detail here might wind up being the subject of The LEGO Batman Movie 2.

Specifically, one theory my brother and I have had since The LEGO Batman Movie was that a sequel might involve Robin "leaving the nest" (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that exact pun were used) and Batman come to terms with the idea that his adopted son/kid sidekick is growing up and needs to be allowed more independence, even if it means Batman can't count on his found family always being there by his side.

3 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

So apparently TLM2 only grossed $8.5 million opening day  under TLBM and TLM 

Yeah, this bad.

According to Variety, the box office will be around $20M lower than expected. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/lego-movie-2-box-office-what-women-want-cold-pursuit-the-prodigy-1203134106/#article-comments

I HOPE this will be like Venom: poor opening box office but got better with time thanks to word of mouth

It seems Warner B really messed up this franchise with such a poor release schedule in 2017 ( and Ninjago Movie itself)

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

As far as hints at future movies in The LEGO Movie 2 go:

Reveal hidden contents

Batman in this movie is introduced towards the beginning as being something of a loner once more, but not in such a way that it feels like a retcon of The LEGO Batman Movie — rather, I get the sense that events BETWEEN The LEGO Batman Movie and The LEGO Movie 2 that were not explained in detail here might wind up being the subject of The LEGO Batman Movie 2.

Specifically, one theory my brother and I have had since The LEGO Batman Movie was that a sequel might involve Robin "leaving the nest" (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that exact pun were used) and Batman come to terms with the idea that his adopted son/kid sidekick is growing up and needs to be allowed more independence, even if it means Batman can't count on his found family always being there by his side.

I like that idea though if it will happen really depends on if TLM2 can pick up momentum, then again this is WB and if their one thing it's persistent (They're still making DCEU films even though only two did well) if this was ANY other company they'd preparing to drop this franchise right now, with WB you never know 

I don't know if this is funny or sad but TLM2 completely ignored Ninjago. It's like poison now :laugh::cry3:

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I don't know if this is funny or sad but TLM2 completely ignored Ninjago. It's like poison now :laugh::cry3:

Not completely, the Hot noodle dog stand appears in the first duplo invasion 

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

How would you have expected it to be included? Unlike TLBM it didn't feature any of the same characters or even the same real-world family, so I would think it would be weird if it DID show up. It's a more "traditional" spin-off, off being its own thing instead of building toward the next crossover.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

How would you have expected it to be included? Unlike TLBM it didn't feature any of the same characters or even the same real-world family, so I would think it would be weird if it DID show up. It's a more "traditional" spin-off, off being its own thing instead of building toward the next crossover.

I kind of expected to see Lloyd after he was in the Turkish Airlines commercial. Not in a big role, just a cameo.

And he was in TLM1

If Ninjago was big enough to get its own movie, I was expecting at least 1 cameo. 

Also because Finn owns sets from TLNM, as Renny pointed out

For those wondering if Ninjago is a part of this universe(pretty sure thus was previously discussed here...)

Spoiler

The hot dog noodle cart is seen early on. Oddly enough the ice cream dude is tending to it. Also, Officer Toque is seen in the bunker. 

9 hours ago, Vindicare said:

For those wondering if Ninjago is a part of this universe(pretty sure thus was previously discussed here...)

Hide contents

The hot dog noodle cart is seen early on. Oddly enough the ice cream dude is tending to it. Also, Officer Toque is seen in the bunker. 

Spoiler

As I've said before Panda Guy, Kebab Bob Deep Sea Diver, Blacktron fan, Fabufan, the double decker couch, the Ninjago police force wear the same uniform as Bad cop and people wearing Batman and Unikitty merch appear in TLNM  (Plus Luh-Lloyd, Nya, the Hot Noodle Dog stand and apparently Officer Toque appear in TLM and TLM2 respectively ) and at least Cole, Lloyd, Jay, Kai, Zane and Nya are master builders I'd say there's gotta be some sorta connection between the worlds, maybe Kid (Yes that's what the character's billed as) is friends with Finn or maybe The Man Upstairs goes to Mister Liu(Jackie Chan's live action role on TLNM) to play with HIS highly sophisticated interlocking brick system now that his kids have messed his up. 

8 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

As I've said before Panda Guy, Kebab Bob Deep Sea Diver, Blacktron fan, Fabufan, the double decker couch, the Ninjago police force wear the same uniform as Bad cop and people wearing Batman and Unikitty merch appear in TLNM  (Plus Luh-Lloyd, Nya, the Hot Noodle Dog stand and apparently Officer Toque appear in TLM and TLM2 respectively ) and at least Cole, Lloyd, Jay, Kai, Zane and Nya are master builders I'd say there's gotta be some sorta connection between the worlds, maybe Kid (Yes that's what the character's billed as) is friends with Finn or maybe The Man Upstairs goes to Mister Liu(Jackie Chan's live action role on TLNM) to play with HIS highly sophisticated interlocking brick system now that his kids have messed his up. 

I don’t remember seeing Officer Toque in the first one?! Drat...now I have to rewatch it for the 9,000th time. Having those other characters show up does make you wonder about the relationship. I suppose both kids could simply have the same sets/minifigs(although they did use the old Ninjago look for nameless Lloyd). Or we’re overthinking the connection & the team just thought it’d be fun to put all those characters in. :tongue: 

Looking back, you also said the double decker couch was in Ninjago, where? I swear...there’s so much stuff going on in the background it’s hard to see it. I finally saw in the background of Batman, Polka Dot Man was in the background pole dancing...of all things. When the Joker was wallowing watching Superman talk on TV.