29 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:
On 12/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Come to think of it, what will this new partnership mean for further representation of any original characters from TLM & TLM2 (i.e. Emmet, Wyldstyle, Benny, UniKitty, Metalbeard, etc)? Are those characters property of WB, TLG, or conjointly so? Would WB be at liberty to produce any further spin-off TV series or media based upon them during TLG & Universal's deal? :shrug_confused: 

I believe the characters from these movies actually are technically owned jointly by LEGO and Warner. That doesn’t mean there’s absolutely no possibility of them continuing on in these new movies, but I suspect Universal will instead want to start with a fresh clean slate... although if any of the creative staff behind the extant LCU does carry over to the new movies, they may want to keep the established characters / continuity going.

If Universal does want to start fresh with a clean slate, I've got a theory I've shared elsewhere on how they might do that (to which I've grown more convinced of)...

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Remember that one in-development spinoff, The Billion Brick Race? Given that it lost two directors during preproduction and hasn't been given a third since the last one departed, you could say this new deal with Universal may be the final nail-in-the-coffin for the development. But, given that the producer who helmed the first four cinematic Lego Movies will continue to oversee further ones under Universal, I'm wondering if there's a chance he'll be taking The Billion Brick Race with him over from Warner Brothers, reformulating it into Universal's own reboot/take on The LEGO Movie as a fast-tracked way to kick-off their own LEGO Cinematic Universe.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

So, I suppose many of you here probably have already heard about this recent development by now...

Variety - Universal in Talks With Lego Group to Develop New Films Based on Toys (EXCLUSIVE)

While I've come to presume this automatically spells out the writing-on-the-wall for The Billion Brick Race, a part of me wonders if there's a chance the project might carry over to Universal, especially considering that producer Dan Lin (who helmed all four of WB's Lego Movies) is reported to continue overseeing any further cinematic features they may develop. It's also worth noting that a similar such move happened for Pacific Rim's 2018 sequel when producer Legendary Pictures moved from Warner Brothers over to Universal, taking the still in-development sequel along with it. 

20 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

But wouldn't Warner still have legal rights to that plot?

Perhaps, though as I cited as an example elsewhere, Universal inherited the distribution rights to Pacific Rim's 2018 sequel when the first film's production company moved over from Warner Bros to Universal; so, given that the producer who helmed all four of Warner's Lego Movie's will also be overseeing Universal's, perhaps he'll be taking The Billion Brick Race over to Universal with him in a similar manner? :shrug_confused:

3 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I guess they could but I feel they'd rather have a clean slate for a story that, like the first film, would encompass the whole brand

I'm pretty certain that's how they'll want to do it too. If so, that's why I could see Universal wanting to pick up The Billion Brick Race where Warner's left off if they inherit the rights to its production, as I could see them using it as a fast-tracked way to getting their own Lego Cinematic Universe off the ground sooner than later. Though we hadn't learned much about it, the film sounded like it would've encompassed the whole brand in the same way The LEGO Movie had done, just in a LEGO Racers kinda way.

27 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

But, how are they with CG animated features?

Well, for starts, they currently own DreamWorks and Illumination, which makes me wonder if they'll have either one of those two handling further cinematic Lego Movies, or if they'll just give the job back to the animators at Animal Logic for such. :shrug_confused:

I think that means we are done with Emmet and the gang

Im pretty sure LEGO Spiderman will show up in Spiderverse 2 which is currently in the works

I do hope a new LEGO movie franchise doesn't use existing characters like Batman etc again.

While I understand it was mainly because of the LEGO Batman movie, I do hope LEGO can start with a clean slate and original characters again.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Im pretty sure LEGO Spiderman will show up in Spiderverse 2 which is currently in the works 

That would be interesting 

Edited by Harkonen

On 4/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, Robert8 said:

Undoubtedly so, since as characters they're more likely Warner Bros' IP rather than Lego's... :sceptic:

On 4/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, Robert8 said:

Well, Spider-Man is in Disney's and Sony's court rather than Universal's; so if we were to ever see such a thing, Universal likely would have nothing to do with it.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, TeriXeri said:

I do hope a new LEGO movie franchise doesn't use existing characters like Batman etc again.

While I understand it was mainly because of the LEGO Batman movie, I do hope LEGO can start with a clean slate and original characters again.

Agreed. They better damn sure kick-off their own "LCU" with an original story/set of characters like WB had done rather than an IP crossover off the bat. 

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Agreed. They better damn sure kick-off their own "LCU" with an original story/set of characters like WB had done rather than an IP crossover off the bat. 

I really hope they do something original instead of another IP crossover. I wasn't a fan of the LEGO Batman movie, and didn't like all the random IP's thrown into LEGO Movie 2... I really hope Universal's LCU won't be like that. 

Since this contract with Universal is supposed to last for 5 years, when should we expect for the next LEGO Movie to come out?

15 hours ago, Lego David said:

I really hope they do something original instead of another IP crossover. I wasn't a fan of the LEGO Batman movie, and didn't like all the random IP's thrown into LEGO Movie 2... I really hope Universal's LCU won't be like that. 

Since this contract with Universal is supposed to last for 5 years, when should we expect for the next LEGO Movie to come out?

Well, with the current climate is hard to tell, though not all animated movies suffer from this. I would say 2022 maybe? Or 2023. They need to get a director, writers, cast, etc. To make a team, I know some of the producers from the WB films will return here. I hope the animation is the same as the other films and not something like DVD films. I also think they might make it set in the same universe as the other films but use new characters for them. Again, Ninjago movie didn't acknowledge the other Lego movies so I suppose they could just reboot it. But the animation should be the same. Maybe we get an announcement at licensing expo this year, it will be online. 

Edited by Harkonen

What about Monkie Kid?

Listen, I'm no expert but based on how quickly Lego clamped down on Monkie Kid leaks and the content they generated I wouldn't be surprised to learn a Monkie Kid movie is in early stages of development.  

On 4/23/2020 at 4:53 PM, Robert8 said:

Well, its happening

I wonder why they didnt release any sets tied with the film 

On 5/9/2023 at 9:19 PM, Robert8 said:

Well, its happening

I wonder why they didnt release any sets tied with the film 

Maybe the 100% Sony stuff is in a weird legal limbo LEGO can't touch? outside of the disney co-production films since 2004 LEGO has never had a full set for something Spider-man related made by them, just a couple promotional figures for TASM2 

Next year will be the 10th anniversary of The LEGO Movie

I wonder if they are going to release anything. Like a "legacy" set or something

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I wonder if they are going to release anything. Like a "legacy" set or something

That'd be nice, depending on how TLM2 sets that might be possible, likely under icons.

Off the top of my head the 2 potential sets that seem to of had the most impact coming out of the film and would likely draw the most attention and sales would be the Double Decker Couch and Benny's Spaceship but both are remakes, maybe a large D2C version of the Master Builder sub? It includes the former and the whole main crew, given the scenes it's in if LEGO wanted to they could also throw in some other noteable characters like Bad Cop or Superman

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

It looks like Lego Movi 3 is in development bbut no relese date yet.  So…we shall see. 

On 5/28/2023 at 12:15 AM, Robert8 said:

That would be neat!