5 hours ago, J4ck said:

True. I mean let’s face it, from what we’ve seen so far TLM2 might as well be named The Lego Unikitty Movie :hmpf_bad:

Really? She's appeared in more sets in the first wave, but the same applies to Metalbeard, Benny, and Batman. And the most likely reason for all of those characters to appear more is that they're in more of the movie—unlike the first movie, in which most of them didn't show up until Cloud Cuckoo Land. The most common characters are still Emmet and Lucy (the lead male and female roles, respectively).

23 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Really? She's appeared in more sets in the first wave, but the same applies to Metalbeard, Benny, and Batman. And the most likely reason for all of those characters to appear more is that they're in more of the movie—unlike the first movie, in which most of them didn't show up until Cloud Cuckoo Land. The most common characters are still Emmet and Lucy (the lead male and female roles, respectively).

The unikitty theme/aesthetic has been over used. There was a balance in the first Lego Movie, it’s now way out of whack.

Just now, J4ck said:

The unikitty theme/aesthetic has been over used. There was a balance in the first Lego Movie, it’s now way out of whack.

Well, it's sort of more of a sharp division between the boys' toys (a.k.a. Apocalypseburg & Dangervest) and the girls' toys (a.k.a. Systar System & Co.). :shrug_confused:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, it's sort of more of a sharp division between the boys' toys (a.k.a. Apocalypseburg & Dangervest) and the girls' toys (a.k.a. Systar System & Co.). :shrug_confused:

I agree. I just don’t like the Unikitty aesthetic. For me personally, there’s too much of it from what I’ve seen in the trailers.

Edited by J4ck

On 12/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, J4ck said:

True. I mean let’s face it, from what we’ve seen so far TLM2 might as well be named The Lego Unikitty Movie :hmpf_bad:

I'm not sure what you mean by that… are you just upset because it has girly-looking stuff in it? :wacko:

I mean, you should realize by now that LEGO isn't just for boys… and as an adult you'd have to be pretty insecure in your masculinity for a handful of bright floral colors, streamlined shapes, and whimsical animal characters to bother you. Particularly when they're so heavily balanced out by both the bold, intense colors/aggressively angular shapes of Rex Dangervest's fleet and the muted earth tones/gritty Dieselpunk motifs of Apocalypseburg and most of its denizens.

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Particularly when they're so heavily balanced out by both the bold, intense colors/aggressively angular shapes of Rex Dangervest's fleet and the muted earth tones/gritty Dieselpunk motifs of Apocalypseburg and most of its denizens.

Ah Ah Ah, Post-Apocalypticism isn't Dieselpunk. THIS is Dieselpunk. :tongue:

114bb9746a1fafa0af5988c41189e13a.jpg

P.S. Don't take it too seriously, I'm probably the only weirdo around here who's OCD about Retrofuturism. :laugh:

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that… are you just upset because it has girly-looking stuff in it? :wacko:

I mean, you should realize by now that LEGO isn't just for boys… and as an adult you'd have to be pretty insecure in your masculinity for a handful of bright floral colors, streamlined shapes, and whimsical animal characters to bother you. Particularly when they're so heavily balanced out by both the bold, intense colors/aggressively angular shapes of Rex Dangervest's fleet and the muted earth tones/gritty Dieselpunk motifs of Apocalypseburg and most of its denizens.

Here we go! :sadnew:

*ahem!* I’m not insecure about my masculinity thank you (No need to start insulting people you disagree with)! I full well know Lego isn’t just for boys, I was stating that from the look of the trailers the movie’s plot looks to mostly unikitty and girly aesthetics but obviously nobody has seen the movie yet. 

2 hours ago, J4ck said:

Here we go! :sadnew:

*ahem!* I’m not insecure about my masculinity thank you (No need to start insulting people you disagree with)! I full well know Lego isn’t just for boys, I was stating that from the look of the trailers the movie’s plot looks to mostly unikitty and girly aesthetics but obviously nobody has seen the movie yet. 

I dunno, I feel like the trailers and teasers we've seen spend about the same amount of time on Rex and the Apocalypseburg folks as on the Systar System and its inhabitants. Likewise, only 9 or 10 of the 25 sets revealed so far seem to have more feminine-coded than masculine-coded motifs and design language.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Ah Ah Ah, Post-Apocalypticism isn't Dieselpunk. THIS is Dieselpunk. :tongue:

*insert image here*

P.S. Don't take it too seriously, I'm probably the only weirdo around here who's OCD about Retrofuturism. :laugh:

You’re not a weirdo, I find this stuff very interesting, if it wasn’t for you I’d still be getting my Retrofuturism mixed up so thanks!

I don't agree with the "LEGO Unikitty Movie" thing but I do think they are pushing it a little bit too hard with her. Some of her lines are weird. Like they just needed her to say something. Like when she is shown to be afraid of the Queen Whatevra because she is a shapeshifter brickbuilt character.... Isn't that exactly what Unikitty herself is? 

On this matter, we know from the leaked spoilers that:

Spoiler

Unikitty does pretty much nothing in the second half of the movie

44 minutes ago, J4ck said:

You’re not a weirdo, I find this stuff very interesting, if it wasn’t for you I’d still be getting my Retrofuturism mixed up so thanks!

Heh, I was only being sarcastically self-deprecating, but thanks! :grin:

For the people who have seen The LEGO Movie 2:

Do you think there is chance for a third one? 

Oh no dude.... 

Billion Brick Race could be Ninjago 2.0 or even worse

LEGO/Warner can't afford to make the same mistake twice... 

Ninjago movie was bad but it seems LEGO Movie 2 was able to get the franchise back in form. But anothet misfire might damage the brand beyond repair.

At this point I say they should put all their efforts on TLM3 and TLBM2 and thats it. 

25 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Oh no dude.... 

Ninjago movie was bad but it seems LEGO Movie 2 was able to get the franchise back in form. But anothet misfire might damage the brand beyond repair.

At this point I say they should put all their efforts on TLM3 and TLBM2 and thats it. 

Why may I ask, Just because their both original IPs? The problem with TLNM is the team needed more time to develop it but the production was rushed to tie-in with the sets not just the fact the Minifigures were Yellow.

51 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Who's to say it'll be a bad movie? :wacko:  I mean, we hardly know much about it so far, so what do you have to work with? :shrug_confused:

Because they already have a well established group of characters people already know and love. They have to stick to that. The novelty of the "lego" element is already wearing off a bit. Mostly because this isnt like Toy Story, where you can have different kind of toys from different brands. And Warner didnt help releasing 4 movies in 5 years... Most of reactions to the TLM2 trailers were like "sigh... another one?"

A new LEGO movie about racers with a whole new cast.... Hmmm It would be too much. I dont think people would be interested. It is not worth the risk. If you see the reactions to TLM2, most of the people gave it a shot because they loved the first one. 

So I think they should focus in developing the storyline they already have. Maybe take any innovative elements planned for Brick Race and bring them into TLM3.

It could be like Finn playing with other kids or something like that. But Emmet, Lucy, Unikitty, etc, need to be there

Just now, Robert8 said:

Because they already have a well established group of characters people already know and love. They have to stick to that. 

Well, imagine where the MCU would be if they stopped with further character debuts after the Avengers. :sceptic:

The MCU is using well established characters that have been around for decades. They just make adaptations. I don't quite get the comparison

LEGO and Warner already tried to branch out of TLM movie storyline and every film got a worst reaction than its predecessor, with the exception of TLM2 wich is far superior than Ninjago Movie, which is the point

Found this picture of WAG's 3 year film slate on twitter. If you look closely up in the right hand corner under TBD we see what appears to be a concept poster for the Billion Brick Race.

13 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The MCU is using well established characters that have been around for decades. They just make adaptations. I don't quite get the comparison

Once upon a time, all of Marvel's creations were brand-new characters, as were the cast of The Lego Movie. All new characters become well-established characters if they stand the test of time and are well-executed from the start, so why should they stop trying? What if Warner Brothers played it safe and only used preexisting characters such as Batman for the first Lego Movie? 

16 minutes ago, LB2341 said:

Found this picture of WAG's 3 year film slate on twitter. If you look closely up in the right hand corner under TBD we see what appears to be a concept poster for the Billion Brick Race.

Whoa. :oh: That's a breakthrough find you've found there! :thumbup: :smug:

12 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

So, Billion Brick Race is still a thing??

Heh, it better be. 

May be worth noting since in the picture it's ambiguous - the person who posted it is saying those years are when production begins, not release years: