Jim

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

General discussion about the new forum.

This forum is an interesting idea. I would like to understand better how to integrate Arduino or some other 3rd party platform into Lego technic, because the Mindstorms seems to be very limited for complex computations and machine learning.

7 hours ago, Jubuilder said:

This forum is an interesting idea. I would like to understand better how to integrate Arduino or some other 3rd party platform into Lego technic, because the Mindstorms seems to be very limited for complex computations and machine learning.

I am in favor of allowing third party electronics like Arduino in this forum, thus I have renamed it Mindstorms and Robotics for now :sweet:

Thanks for creating this forum.
What used to be the MINDSTORMS Community Partners (MCP) are now the ROBOTMAK3RS, an official Recognized LEGO Online Community (RLOC).

The FB group is private but the members of the group all have a public profile on robotmak3rs.com
If you are interested in joining this group, send an email to ambassador@robotmak3rs.com with your LEGO robotic bio and I'll submit your entry for the next round of nominations.

109840215_ScreenShot2018-10-14at11_24.45AMcopy.thumb.jpg.f4943bef375cd0104453632142972711.jpg

Cheers
/baz

Edited by bazmarc
updated info

1 minute ago, bazmarc said:

Thanks for creating this forum.

No thanks. Funny thing is that my wish to have such a forum got me involved into Eurobrick quite a few years ago. Maybe we should have done this way sooner, but better late than never.

I was having some issues finding the proper information, so I figured having an active forum with proper indices will definitely be helpful.

Hi, this seems a great place to ask a big question i've got.... can we have a beginners overview of mindstorms? My knowledge of it virtually zero, to the point where i don't know what the key components are, where i would start, or how to go about it - But i've seen what its capable of and am very interested in it...

Now, i'm 100% sure i could buy some stuff and be up and running pretty quickly - at least i'd hope so, i'm a developer for a living ! :roflmao: - but a nice basic overview would be great, and maybe helps in terms of accessibility for others too?

Jim,

I am totally in love with this forum. For me, it is kind of home.

When I came out of my dark ages, it was because for me in 1998, a dream came true: A programmable brick, the RCX actively responding to sensor readings. I chose my favorite LEGO theme, trains, to come up with machines replying to messages, sensor reading, and the like. However, that included also custom designs and changes to what LEGO was giving us.

And this forum is exactly what I was looking for for such a long time, for the same reasons you took your motivatíon.

Thank you very much for creating this forum. I am looking forward to seeing it growing!

All the best
Thorsten

I'm highliy interested in sharing ideas and asking for advise. I'm also totally new to that overall Mindstorms and linked topics and trying to understand where to best start to earn these experience.

Hopefully, this forum and its users will increase and we can have a lovely community.

Cheers

6 hours ago, xp10r3r said:

I'm highliy interested in sharing ideas and asking for advise. I'm also totally new to that overall Mindstorms and linked topics and trying to understand where to best start to earn these experience.

Hopefully, this forum and its users will increase and we can have a lovely community.

Cheers

You are more than welcome and I also hope we will have a lovely and active community.

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

Jim,

I am totally in love with this forum. For me, it is kind of home.

When I came out of my dark ages, it was because for me in 1998, a dream came true: A programmable brick, the RCX actively responding to sensor readings. I chose my favorite LEGO theme, trains, to come up with machines replying to messages, sensor reading, and the like. However, that included also custom designs and changes to what LEGO was giving us.

And this forum is exactly what I was looking for for such a long time, for the same reasons you took your motivatíon.

Thank you very much for creating this forum. I am looking forward to seeing it growing!

All the best
Thorsten

That is great to hear. I regret not doing this a couple of years earlier. Better late than never :tongue:

2 hours ago, toatyger said:

Would this forum also include Power Functions?

If the goal is robotic, why not ?

3 hours ago, toatyger said:

Would this forum also include Power Functions?

We can discuss it when used in a robot, but general discussion will still be in Technic.

Super news that there is now a dedicated Mindstorms forum.

Until now, I have posted my articles in the LEGO Technic and Model Team forum. How can I change this to the new forum?

Best regards,

Hans