ontheslipway

[MOC] Sentinel loader shuttle variant

My first attempt at creating a Lego model since the dark ages were over, using Studio 2.0, a Lego Sentinel-class shuttle / Loader shuttle hybrid. Learning Studio 2.0 was quite easy and the model was fun to create! The main reason to make my own was that the newly released Sentinel is a bit too toyish so I went for something a bit larger.

G4AjGzv.jpg

Pg1DMue.jpg

pBkMIaa.jpg

aP5NGPc.jpg

2DxVXdQ.jpg

More images here:

http://ontheslipway.com/?p=4037#more-4037

Edited by ontheslipway

Holy cow man, phenomenal greebling, shaping, attention to detail, and making the whole thing a functional MOC! The interior of the cargo pod is very well done, I love the usable ramp and speeder bike space as well as the striping on the hull, it makes it look like a working ship. Great solution on the pod corners as well, that can't've been easy to figure out.  Also the turrets on the pod and back of the ship are great. Are the gunners there to control them? 

One criticism that's not a big deal because as you said it's a variant, but the ship seems a little bit long to me, almost like there's too much "neck" between the cockpit and cargo container? Still looks great, reminds me overall of an imperial cargo LAAT.

Thanks for your feedback! I agree it's a bit long; I wanted to copy the same cockpit style as in the Tyderium model (modified to be open between the cockpit and passenger area). Plus, I though the segment behind the cockpit was quite nice... but the entire idea to keep the model small didn't really work out as planned :classic: The pod panels were the main time vampire... as a first-time user I had to work on my repertoire of building solutions!

The idea of the gunners is indeed to aim the guns, I also threw one gunner in Tyderium (they have nice heads too, behind that helmet). A normal officer minifig plus a few imperical pilots would work as well but I thought it was getting expensive enough. The speeder is mainly based on all the builds I could google so that's not really my design. The turrets are also from Tyderium (used that one for parts) and I ran out of 4L rods so had to rotate the dishes to make them fit on 3L bars... The detail on the rear of the center wing was also a late-minute addition because I didn't order enough white bricks so I had to improvise with what I had left...  I actually had a small ATDT in the rear hatch but that one didn't turn out so well... :cry_sad: Falls apart when you look at it...

aQUtSfG.jpg

Edited by ontheslipway

Wow! nice come back from the dark ages. this thing has everything the original needed. command post and speeder dock. I like the slight red color to it too! the shaping of the pod is awesome, I have never seen those slopes fit like that to make round corners! Your little walker is cool too, albeit it falls apart. awesome!  The only thing I am critical about is too much grey or not white pieces, imperial ships always seem to have that pristine look to it. it might be the gaps in the white shields that are bugging me though.  

It is a superb MOC none the less!

Wondeful design! very inspirating of your application of radii parts on loading coach, and I am feeling some good ideas spring out for my LAAT/c MOC.

@Smitty; the Saturn rocket has many creative round solutions; I built when it came out and it gave me many a good idea.

The model started to be a bit lighter in tone, but Bricklink complained about some bricks not in light blueish gray (the 4x4 technik brick with open center, 5,5 corner, some technik bricks (beams))) so I had to add more black to the model. So it went more from a pristine white to a more utilitarian color scheme and more "equipment" on the outside. I know that's more something you see on star ships and not so much the smaller craft... The gaps are there on purpose; I could have used the round corner pieces and normal arches but left it a bit more open and playful. The corners may have been a bit more solid with other parts... some black parts on the inside are there to block the view!

@ WTFett: I have not yet ventured into the manual making part... (don't even know if stud.io can do it?) At the moment I'm nearly done creating blocks that can be built in block-order...

@ JoeChu1980: Thanks!

Edited by ontheslipway

Thanks for the comments!

I"m never done a manual before (don't even know what program to use) but I can always throw the studio file on the forum; the file needs some cleaning up in terms of block structure but then it's fairly easy to build if the block structure is followed in the correct order?

Edited by ontheslipway

Impressive, most impressive. How much of the original 75094 shuttle did you use? I can see the nose, fin and wings but wondered about the internal structure and other bits. 

I too am interested in a model file or instructions. I think it's one of the few I could build without buying too many extra pieces (although is there such a thing as too much Lego? :wink:)

Not sure you do not need many parts, there's 3,300 of them in the model :innocent:  Didn't really count the number of parts of 75095 used, but as many as possible of course. After a while I got "need to use parts fatigue".

I uploaded the model to Bricklink

Edited by ontheslipway

Wow that is utterly incredible work!!! *huh*

And there's me just trying to work out how to seal the hideous gaps on the front of the retail Imperial Landing Craft to poor effect... I shan't embarrass myself with sharing my rubbish solutions :ugh:

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

That gap on the front on the retail version is something I cannot really live with either; looks like something is wrong...

Anyway, I made a small rendering of the lock mechanism; could be more study but also gets the job done. Wish I didn't have to use that many black bricks...

I0ecHWT.jpg

Edited by ontheslipway