Sign in to follow this  
Patgeo

Challenge I: Repairs in Sir Patman's Cottage

CHALLENGE I: Repairs in Sir Patman's Cottage

"Once the balance and peace was established in Historica, Patman decided to return to his family's cottage, after a long time of absence.

Unfortunatelly, his fears came true as he saw his family's property ruined. The war had left its wounds. A heavy catapult projectile stone had hit the house ruining the walls and part of the roof. Luckily, his family was well-respected in the area, as his parents were good and joyful to everyone. So, he managed to find quickly the best crue in the area to fix his home. This crue, was the well-known Dworf Repairs group.

31358577568_7ab7d3b493_b.jpg

Sir Patman's Cottage

44510116004_707ee1d616_b.jpg

Sir Patman's Cottage - Rear View

45182306612_bb4ffec757_b.jpg

Workings in the Yard

44321804775_48c098d3b1_b.jpg

Repairs in the Roof and inspection of the House

While he was wandering around the ruins, he managed to find a passage to the basement, so he decided to check the condition in which it was after so many years. 

44321811915_1613c72223_b.jpg

Removing the ruins and fixing the roof

45182318112_dfcd6165a1_b.jpg

An old neighbour came by to help, by making food

As he was carefully going down the stairs carrying his lantern, he saw something on the floor, that he had never noticed as a child. It seemed like an arrow, pointing to one side of the wall.

44510126784_d7a6478e61_b.jpg

The Basement

As he walked closer, he noticed a compass being hanged in that particular point. As he was checking it out, he found that it was pointing in the wrong direction and he tried to correct it. Then, all of a sudden, the wall moved, revealing a secret room.

After the first shock, he decided to explore it, discovering the armor and the belongings of his Great Grandfather, the first Sir Patman the Lionmane, along with the deeds of Neapolis, a city that was founded by his long gone ancestor.

31358614058_54c09a0448_b.jpg

Exploring the Secret Room

45182326532_ca1d94bab5_b.jpg

Sir Patman's the Lionmane Armor

Having no family left, nor anything else to keep him in his home, he decided to descover the truth about his family's mysterious past and the reason it was kept a secret."

The above creation, is my first true modular of this size, and I enjoyed a lot, builting it. More stories will follow for Sir Patman. I hope you like it. You can find more pictures at my FlickR

16 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Wonderful interior, that is a very nice staircase! Cool roof too, and I like the use of those ladders for scaffolding

Thank you very much for your kind words!

7 hours ago, The Last of Nergoue said:

Very nice build, the roof is a very interesting technique!

Thank you! The it was a bit tricky to be honest, but the outcome is really nice!

The interior looks great! Although there's a lot of detail all around the build, it works! 

Really nice roof shingles there, that's a nice design. I like the steps going up to the balcony area, the 1x1 and 2x2 round tiles you've used for the road and the detailed interior.

The house exterior is relatively simple - it might have been nice to add some more interesting details - but I'm nitpicking here. Good work!

On 10/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Nice work! That roof is definitely interesting, looks pretty good! The ladders create a nice sense of it being in construction. :) Keep it up!

Thank you TheLordOfBricks!

23 hours ago, Windusky said:

The interior looks great! Although there's a lot of detail all around the build, it works! 

Thanks a lot!

16 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Really nice roof shingles there, that's a nice design. I like the steps going up to the balcony area, the 1x1 and 2x2 round tiles you've used for the road and the detailed interior.

The house exterior is relatively simple - it might have been nice to add some more interesting details - but I'm nitpicking here. Good work!

Thank you for your comments Basiliscus! Regarding the exterior, you are right. I had some ideas but i couldn't find the appropriate parts.

1 hour ago, Patgeo said:

<snip>

Thank you for your comments Basiliscus! Regarding the exterior, you are right. I had some ideas but i couldn't find the appropriate parts.

No problem, it takes time to build up your parts collection so don't worry about it. I've been collecting LEGO for over 10 years and I still run out all the time!

Really like the interior and overall shape of the build. My favorite thing about it is the "tier" structure where you've got stuff going on at different points, giving the build a lot of verticality.

My two critiques are:

1) the "peak" of the roof, which reflects a problem I often have where two parts of an element wind up conflicting. So you've got this nice tile effect I've never seen before and is one of the more interesting parts of this build, but then you probably needed to design a fairly clunky "peak" element to hold it in place. That kind of thing happens to me ALL the time and winds up diluting the effect somewhat.

2) the plates around the house's walls are a bit too patchy and Minecrafty-y looking to me. The mix of greens and browns just can't sell the effect you're going for with that little of space. I think the groundwork below the house, on the road, is much better.

Thank you for your kind words @mccoyed and all the feedback. 

Regarding the roof technic, it was inspired by some old traditional houses in the area and it really came out nice. Regarding the "peak", I tried some techincs in order to have a smooth ending, but this was the best outcome. I'll try to improve it in future builts, hoping that it will get better.

As for the plates you are refering to, I know that it could be better, and i had it in mind but i forgot to look it again.

Really like the elevation you have in this build, and the way you have the building integrated into the landscape. The roof tiling is a wonderful technique too. :wub: I don't mind the chunky roof cap too much, although i'm sure there has to be a way of making a smoother transition. The lack of eaves near the wall does bother me a bit though. Overall, i love how chaotic the building site appears to be - very true to life i'm sure! :classic:

Finally, welcome to GoH my friend :) As I already told you, I really like the roof, the fact that you have modular/interior and all that movement feel going around :)

Brick it ON!

Great to see the different components of the home.  I really like the roofing technique, and nice to see all the staircase work and the little tree.  Nice work on this entry!

On 10/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, Gabe said:

Really like the elevation you have in this build, and the way you have the building integrated into the landscape. The roof tiling is a wonderful technique too. :wub: I don't mind the chunky roof cap too much, although i'm sure there has to be a way of making a smoother transition. The lack of eaves near the wall does bother me a bit though. Overall, i love how chaotic the building site appears to be - very true to life i'm sure! :classic:

Thank you for your comments Gabe. I'm glad you like the chaotic atmosphere. I tried to convey the reality as much as possible. Also, I will keep in mind the thing about the eaves, and I will try to improve it in my future builts. 

On 10/16/2018 at 8:10 PM, Gunman said:

Finally, welcome to GoH my friend :) As I already told you, I really like the roof, the fact that you have modular/interior and all that movement feel going around :)

Brick it ON!

Thank you my friend!

3 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

Great to see the different components of the home.  I really like the roofing technique, and nice to see all the staircase work and the little tree.  Nice work on this entry!

Thanks a lot!

Very nice!  I love the slate roof tiles, the overall architecture and layout (the height difference and L shape are great) and the detail in the basement.  The level of thought and detail that have gone into this are fantastic.  Great job!

I like the innovative roof approach here, as it offers a nice change from what we are accustomed to seeing around the Guilds. The landscape is a bit too flat in the front, though, and the ladders are not my favorite part here for the scaffolding - they look a bit too pre-fab to me. Something that was custom-built for your house that did not have to worry about awkward connection angles and that kind of thing would be better, in my opinion. That being said, I really enjoy how the workers are all busy, and the inclusion of so many aspects of the construction is quite nice. I also like that you included interiors!

The dwarf repair team look to be a group of happy, hard working fellows! Neat layout with the building situated atop a rock outcrop, and I like the winding stairs leading up to it :thumbup:
Wonderful interiors down in the basement. Really fun idea to have a secret room, and the goodies inside would make any treasure hunter ecstatic :classic:

I would like to apologize for bringing up a so old threat, but I didn't realised that there were some comments that I didn't reply to. As one of my principles is to thank everyone for their kind comments, I have to reply. If there is any problem with it, please inform me and i will delete my post.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the innovative roof approach here, as it offers a nice change from what we are accustomed to seeing around the Guilds. The landscape is a bit too flat in the front, though, and the ladders are not my favorite part here for the scaffolding - they look a bit too pre-fab to me. Something that was custom-built for your house that did not have to worry about awkward connection angles and that kind of thing would be better, in my opinion. That being said, I really enjoy how the workers are all busy, and the inclusion of so many aspects of the construction is quite nice. I also like that you included interiors!

Thank you very much for your comments Henjinh_Quilones.

I aggre with the fact that the lanscape is quite flat, but at that time I didn't have the appropriate parts to create something more interesting in my disposal, something that stands for the ladders as well. 

On 10/29/2018 at 4:33 PM, soccerkid6 said:

The dwarf repair team look to be a group of happy, hard working fellows! Neat layout with the building situated atop a rock outcrop, and I like the winding stairs leading up to it :thumbup:
Wonderful interiors down in the basement. Really fun idea to have a secret room, and the goodies inside would make any treasure hunter ecstatic :classic:

Thank you very much soccerkid6! 

That happy working feeling of the dworf team was the one that i had in mind and wanted to express through my creation. I am glad you liked all the aspects of it!