Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] Gun barge no. 1

In the colonies, port protection is often an issue. Both ships and fortifications are often in short supply.

Hence, alternative measures are often considered, such as the Corlander gun barge.

31289441348_3e7851b311_c.jpg

Built on a heavy raft of logs, it is almost impossible impossible to sink. Armed with 18 pounders, it may be unhandy, but it has quite a bite. Sitting low in the water, it is a difficult target in a close engagement, although the open deck does leave the crew exposed.

The barge has no propulsion of its own, and is hence only useful as a defensive measure. It must be towed to location where it will anchor and stand its ground. By use of two anchors, the guns can be lain sideways, but the only option of retreat is to cut the cables and drift ashore.

43349203700_51e5d87f82_c.jpg

Outside King's Harbour Gun barge no. 1 is currently running through trials in the bay, offering one of the young lieutenants a command of much more firepower than normally. However, protecting a port is far from the independent command of a sloop or frigate dreamt about by many of the young gentlemen...

A "ship" based on the gun barges used by the Danes at the battle of Copenhagen against the British to supplement the fleet.

She is fairly large (class 4/5) but I am thinking she is a class 3 in BoBS terms, considering there is no rigging and only a simple hull. If she is ever licensed, I am thinking range 0, manoeuvre 1 (minimum) and a lot of firepower :)

C&C welcome - mainly a fun build after reading about the battle of Copenhagen *shakes fists at the dastardly British thieves... Little better than pirates...*

This ought to makes any pirates think at least twice before attacking King's Harbour!

I could never have imagened such a "vessel". Despite it's simplicity you've done a good job with the details: archor, mast, gunwails etc.
The figure posing is also very dynamic; it really feels like a busy gun line. Also, how many barrels can you possibly have?

Class wise I think 3 is correct. I counted it as being 52 studs long, compared to my HMS intrepid and the HMS Otter which are both 46 (at least that's my estimation from the pictures). Given the lack of sails it seems reasonable.

A rare sight for sure in the seas, I wonder what 

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

almost impossible impossible to sink

means :jollyroger: 

Interesting concept for sure, and nice execution! :thumbup:

The WTC might "borrow" the design... :pir-grin:

@Bregir is there a historical reference for such defenses or just something you thought up for the game.  I never would have thought of a raft with Cannons lol its a great lil build though.

A brown, square barge, make me think of a chocolate cake.:drool:

Seriously, that's a very interesting design, it's good to see some varieties.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:10 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Damn !!

a floating castle...

A floating battery, to be exact ;)

On 10/10/2018 at 10:08 PM, Flavius Gratian said:

This ought to makes any pirates think at least twice before attacking King's Harbour!

I could never have imagened such a "vessel". Despite it's simplicity you've done a good job with the details: archor, mast, gunwails etc.
The figure posing is also very dynamic; it really feels like a busy gun line. Also, how many barrels can you possibly have?

Class wise I think 3 is correct. I counted it as being 52 studs long, compared to my HMS intrepid and the HMS Otter which are both 46 (at least that's my estimation from the pictures). Given the lack of sails it seems reasonable.

I should hope so! :)

I cannot really take the credit for the "invention" - I saw this at the danish war museum (Tøjhusmuseet) in an exhibition about the battle of Copenhagen. It is quite hard to find source material, but I found a few pictures.

And those are not barrels - just 2x2 round bricks. :D

On 10/10/2018 at 10:58 PM, Fraunces said:

A rare sight for sure in the seas, I wonder what 

means :jollyroger: 

Perhaps some pirates will give it a try? :P

On 10/11/2018 at 7:08 AM, Drunknok said:

Interesting concept for sure, and nice execution! :thumbup:

The WTC might "borrow" the design... :pir-grin:

Thanks - and feel free to do so.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:10 AM, LM71Blackbird said:

Very unique design, I like it quite a lot! As Drunknok has already said, this design bears borrowing!

Thank you sir - and it will be interesting to see someone's take on it.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:08 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Bregir is there a historical reference for such defenses or just something you thought up for the game.  I never would have thought of a raft with Cannons lol its a great lil build though.

As I said above, it is a bit hard to find sources on this, but searching for floating battery battle for copenhagen or similar should yield a little. The best I found was this:

106-2000.jpg

On 10/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, Bodi said:

A brown, square barge, make me think of a chocolate cake.:drool:

Seriously, that's a very interesting design, it's good to see some varieties.

A very dangerous chocolate cake, I would say! :P

And I agree - I enjoy sometimes building something out of the ordinary, exploring something different. (And sometimes saving a bit on the rigging... ;) )

On 10/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, Elostirion said:

Superb idea, well executed and just a lovely and inspiring addition to the world of BoBS!

Thanks, Elos. Happy to hear!