Roadmonkeytj

Switching Puzzle

This thread has become the WIP thread for my switching puzzle see the updates for specific posts or feel free to browse the whole thread! Comments are welcomed!

Original Post:

So after a trip to the local train club (scale trains n, ho, S, O) basically think a large room with about 12 different layouts running. 

One of the club members created a 4x2 HO switching puzzle and it was a lot of fun.   I know I've seen switching puzzles at model RR shows but I haven't seen any in the Lego world.  So I've been reading through decoupling and other tricks that have been posted.  

My question comes...  Has anyone had any luck with switching puzzles in Lego at shows?  Did they go over well or was it more hassle then it's worth? 

Current form:

20190725_034521

Updates:

3 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Well, it's perhaps not quite the same thing as you are after, but click.

While not the scale I was looking for this is simply fantastic...  But the LDD link seems to be broken? 

If it's OK with you I would love to build this for our up coming train show in December.

It's quite an old thread so I suspect that Eurobricks must have purged the file. I'll try and see if I can resurrect my Brickshelf account and upload it there. I'll add a link just as soon as I've done so, but I'm just waiting for the admin e-mail to reset my password.

I'm more than happy for you to build this for your show. I'm not sure if it's going to be robust enough to withstand use by show-goers, but you can have a look at the design and decide that yourself.

Shunting layout SBS17

I built a layout for a show. 8 baseplates by 3, 5 switches.

I had plenty of fun shuffling cars about at home. In a show situation I was way too busy talking to gawkers and doing other things.

The layout had a loop though soo there was always a train running, and had a passing loop so could swap trains too.

@Hod Carrier

Thanks for all in advance...  It will give me a starting point at least lol. 

6 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

Lego Ideas? 

Do you have links to any in particular...  I haven't seen any lately

@Chromeknight

That's a nice little layout 

... This was what I had in mind...  But in Lego

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/Inglenook/Graphics/INSI-AlanWright.jpg

There was a thread a few months ago that had some similar questions and I made this post:

On 7/30/2018 at 9:22 AM, supertruper1988 said:

I used the nControl from 4DBrix and this is what I came up with:

feyyQ6c.png

This used a bunch of the 4DBrix Modular switch parts and some R56 Curves. 

Here is the BOM:

Uojdlig.png

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Thanks for all in advance...  It will give me a starting point at least lol.

You're most welcome. I need to take a couple of additional photos to show some of the hidden parts, but the .lxf file is now available here. (Or at least, it will be once it’s passed Brickshelf’s moderation.)

Edited by Hod Carrier

On 10/11/2018 at 2:32 AM, Hod Carrier said:

You're most welcome. I need to take a couple of additional photos to show some of the hidden parts, but the .lxf file is now available here. (Or at least, it will be once it’s passed Brickshelf’s moderation.)

It's still not public...  Does it normally take this long to approve? 

I have to be honest and say that I don’t know. It’s been a while since I last used Brickshelf, but it does seem to be unusually slow.

In my current layout, (250x100 cm, or 10x4 bp) I have a switching yard that can be considered an Inglenook Sidings representation:

43500132040_ec252f52a4_z.jpgSwitchingYard by Federico, on Flickr

And the reversing loop makes it possible to solve any puzzle, i.e. any composition of cars in either direction (forgive the poor lighting in these pictures)

44592554054_a4ae8f618e_z.jpgCurrentLayout2018 by Federico, on Flickr

That said, operating manual switches and especially manually decoupling cars is not particularly fun -- and it's not well suited for an exhibition.
I had previously built a mini version of that, with only the shorter 16-stud wagons, just as a shunting puzzle to show students as part of a 'computational thinking' class.
That thing is more useful, as a teaching tool, and for that I don't even bother to use a motorized locomotive.

Edited by MusicaRibelle

@Hod Carrier

Thanks I'll have a look at it tomorrow!

@MusicaRibelle

So would leaving the magnets off and just using the buffers be better?  I was thinking a somewhat easy solve ... Just a couple colors of boxcars, a switcher, a tanker, and a hopper.   Something that can be done in less than five min

On 10/14/2018 at 8:54 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

So would leaving the magnets off and just using the buffers be better?  I was thinking a somewhat easy solve ... Just a couple colors of boxcars, a switcher, a tanker, and a hopper.   Something that can be done in less than five min

Without magnets, you can't pull, only push, so you can't change the position of any train car.
You can build an uncoupler (mechanic, manual, without servo-motors) and still have a simple yet complete setup.

The Inglenook Sidings requires 2 switches and 1 uncoupler -- and a simplified version for shorter trains should fit comfortably on a 4 ft. table. (ref. http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/SPL-operate.html )

I have built remotely controlled Inglenook-layout:

The layout worked nicely and I did some shunting puzzles during events but as running a demo puzzle took some time to do + not many visitors were big fans of trains, I didn't do many demonstrations during displays. The basic shunting did work well tho, and it was nice to be able to remotely control train engine, switches and wagon separators. I used SBrick to handle the manipulation of the "ground mechanism". In the topic you can find link to Youtube video where I display them better.

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

I have built remotely controlled Inglenook-layout:

The layout worked nicely and I did some shunting puzzles during events but as running a demo puzzle took some time to do + not many visitors were big fans of trains, I didn't do many demonstrations during displays. The basic shunting did work well tho, and it was nice to be able to remotely control train engine, switches and wagon separators. I used SBrick to handle the manipulation of the "ground mechanism". In the topic you can find link to Youtube video where I display them better.

This will be at a train show so plenty of train fans.   I've noticed at least at scale shows the switch puzzles see their spurts. So hoping it will give an interactive to the main display.   We just had a hands on interactive games area at brickwork and it worked quite well

@TheQ

I actually had watched your YouTube last night lol...  I love the finished look. 

Would it be too much trouble to ask for some close ups of the decouple mechanicals?

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

@Roadmonkeytj

Here is a simple breakdown of the wagon separator / decoupler mechanism:
44754427064_e3a0333471.jpg

The 1 x 5 beam is lifted and set between the wagon wheel sets and when it is up, the wagon stays there. The trick is to fine-tune the magnets: If you have too strong power (two modern magnets), the train engine will only pull itself away. If you have two little power between wagons (two old magnets), train engine will pull few wagons with it but others way stay with the separated wagon. Best combination for me was using old and modern magnet together, that let me separate any wagon in a four wagons long train.

Update:

The track plan,  signal tower and custom rolling stock...  Still working on the switcher and getting the bricks together lol

Inglenook swicth

If you’re going for an Inglenook you might need to adjust the road lengths a bit. From the photo it looks like you’re going for a 3:2:2 puzzle, in which case the headshunt needs to be long enough to accommodate the loco plus two wagons.

Other than that it looks like a very promising start.

3 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

If you’re going for an Inglenook you might need to adjust the road lengths a bit. From the photo it looks like you’re going for a 3:2:2 puzzle, in which case the headshunt needs to be long enough to accommodate the loco plus two wagons.

Other than that it looks like a very promising start.

Right now it clears ... Just barely  but I will add a track most likely once I finish the shunter so I can test clearance.   ... If this goes over well I will go to a true inglenook next year

Update!

So I finalized the design and bricks are comming in!  The first two main players are assembled.

I can not take credit for their designs but I Am glad they were shared.  The first is the compact air compressor designed by MOCbuild101.  It was linked in another post and after watching the video of it running with auto shut offI had to include it ... And convert the layout to pneumatics lol.  So I built the outter "shell" in LDD and it was the perfect fit!  The only modifications I had to do to the switch house was open the floor up in one spot for the air to exit.  Also raise the interior floor one plate.

Here it is in the Brick!

20190622_115045(1)

The next Design that I need to give a shout out to is by Dennis Tomsen.  I had built a switcher in LDD but wasnt really happy that it looked nothing like a real world engine. Yes it looked as though it could have been but it just wasnt "right".

I stumbled across the Lego Koef and instantly knew I needed that engine.  The only issue was it was designed off the old 9V box and IR reciver.  Now my experience with IR at shows is not been good.  Sure its ok if the train makes another lap on the layout but when your looking for precice control no matter line of sight ... Powered up has me sold.  So after studying the the instructions I built a powered up version.  Now there are compromises ... The powered up hub is taller than the old battery box.  But I only had to add three plates to the cab to make it look right so I'm happy with this comprise.  

20190622_114820(1)

I am still waiting on the other half of the LBG hinge plates so thats the gap in the back.

20190622_114950(1)

Here you can see there is room to add a Legless driver ... Which I will eventually

20190622_114922

The layout should fit on a 80"x40" table.  I decided to add curves to each side with yard limit signs so I can connect to the club layout in the back.  I have all the track but Im waiting on some of the parts for the decouplers and switch stands.

Edit:

So got some more time tonight to build . . . seems I'm still missing more parts than I thought.  But the cars are built simple with different colors so they can be ordered ... I originally wanted them to look like the "my own train"  if the layout does well later this year then I plan to upgrade the rolling stock.

20190622_202138

Edited by Roadmonkeytj