murtaughf3

Sourcing parts for epic (to me) project. Sets or Bricklink?

So I’m wanting to start a project. I’m thinking something along the lines of a navy battleship / aircraft carrier, or a classic space outpost. That being said a lot of mixed grey pieces are in my future. I’m wondering if buying sets with mostly grey colored pieces would be better than ording all from bricklink. 

My thought is by purchasing sets with mostly shades of grey pieces and selling off the minifigs and unwanted pieces on bricklink I can slowly help offset the expense. As far as project size is concerned I’m thinking something in the several feet range if a navy ship or something like Jangbricks layout just all classic space related. I’m fulling expecting this project to be never ending, but at least I’ll have a goal and direction moving forward. 

I figure this might help cut down the number of bricklink orders not to mention improve my building skills by forcing myself to concentrate on building with pieces I have on hand. 

So what do you think, is my thought process on the right track? Thanks in advance. 

Your thought process is yes and no on the right track. You have to make sure you can find the RIGHT set that has pieces you'll need. Just buying gray in bulk sets may not give you the quantities you need. You'll need to bricklink either way, but you may not know what you need until you start building.

You also have to consider that not all figures or unwanted pieces will sell quickly or well at all. You may sit on them for a long time, so offsetting the cost isn't always going to work out in your favor.

Personally, I source what I can from my collection as is, then move on to just bricklinking what I need in the amounts I need instead of hoping of buying multiples of sets that may only give me a fraction of what I need. Just a thought. Others can weigh in better than I can I'm sure.

Unfortunately currently Star Wars sets are way overpriced, so that would be an expensive primary source for grey parts of all shades. In fact several of those sets ATM don't even contain grey parts due to being desert themed or white. I'd only get full sets at the "right" price and if they contain a good mix parts like I did for instance with Moloch's Landspeeder (https://myleniumsbrickcorner.wordpress.com/2018/09/26/expensive-brick-molochs-landspeeder-from-solo-a-star-wars-story-75210/). To me it was justifiable since I didn't have e.g. that many grey arc/ curved bricks. I might have decided differently, though, if my parts drawers were already overflowing with such elements. You should be able to get large quantities of most elements at decent prices on Bricklink, though. Pretty much any LEGO set has some grey elements, even Friends or Elves, making them available in large quantities. For your project you might want to buy some basic stock on BL and then expand it selectively as described. Either way, you never really know. LEGO could bring out some large sets next year with all the parts you may need and then the metrics could shift in favor of actualyl buying the sets. It's always a thin fine line.

Mylenium

I would buy sets heavy on grey that are relatively inexpensive with a good variety of pieces, like the Oni Titan and some of the Star Wars sets. There are plenty out there if you look, I know because that's what I do, then I would hit up the PAB wall and finally Brinklink the ones you need. I really do think sets are the most economical way though but obviously your not going to find all the pieces you will need that way. Good luck and enjoy the build. 

4 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

You also have to consider that not all figures or unwanted pieces will sell quickly or well at all. You may sit on them for a long time, so offsetting the cost isn't always going to work out in your favor.

Definitely this is true. 

Also remember that while a ship might look grey, you will need a lot of bricks on the inside for structure. These can be any colour.

SW sets would have been the way to go if you were doing this five years ago - lots of grey and easy to sell minifigures. But as noted above, these days there is a lot of tans and similar. Although these may also be useful if doing a space outpost.

I would suggest if you know what sets contain the pieces you want have a look at the Lego 'Bricks and Pieces' and the pick a brick pages, sometimes buying new from Lego is the cheapest option.

Pick-a-brick is your friend if you are local enough to one. A few of the large cups of a part that is useful go a long way.

I'm no expert, but if you don't mind second hand bricks then job lots on ebay may be worth a look, I've bought a few and although I've got some duff parts (heavy yellowing, old grey, a few megablox pieces etc.) it also got me a decent range of standard pieces and also a few rarer pieces that, based on the prices listed on rebrickable, would pretty quickly cover what I paid for the whole lots if I chose to sell them on. Though obviously you have to spend lots of time sorting!

I'd go with Bricks & Pieces on shop.lego.com (not to be confused with Pick-a-brick), and compare those prices to Bricklink (taking into consideration shipping costs for multiple Bricklink orders).