kaelthas

[REVIEW] 5005257 - NINJAGO Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)

How do you rate this set?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 - 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

IMG_5832.PNG.ba6c8e6bf95bd20370afb846aca47672.PNG

Hi, October is an awesome month for me with the introduction of bricktober minifigures promotion since 2017. To me, these exclusives are really nice to collect. Here is some recap of 2017 bricktober reviews by Eurobricks' marvellous golden reviewer @makoy

5004938 - NINJAGO Minifigures

5004939 - TLBM Minifigures

5004941 - Classic Minifigures

Okay, after reminiscing the past, let's look into 2018. Ninjago is the first bricktober released this year, followed by Harry Potter, Jurrasic World and Infinity War. Let's start.

Overview

Name: 5005257 - NINJAGO Minifigures
Theme: Promotional \ Toys R Us (Bricktober)
Year: 2018
Pieces: 25 pcs
Minifigures: 4
Price: free with purchase of RM199 in Malaysia.

Introduction

Last year we thought that was the last bricktober but gladly they're not. Now we are pampered with more interesting minifigures with arm and leg printings. Even the fan is printed. Even me, a non-Ninjago fan, feels happy and excited about these minifigures.

Box

I love the words at the lower left corner. Limited Edition. Which means you won't find them elsewhere other than this box. I think they heard @makoy's suggestion last year about the minifigures being loosely placed in the box. Let's see why.

There are some extension of the black mould plastic at the arm area to secure them in place. I didn't notice that at first but when I tried to take them out single handedly, I can't. :iamded_lol:

Anybody reads these? 

Can't wait to get out of the box!

Okay. Let's go to pose in front of the camera. 

Minifigures

Harumi with the oni mask of hatred. Hmm, as a non-Ninjago fan, I've googled the name of this purple mask. I found out that this minifigure is actually a Princess and the story goes on. Minifigure wise, the print of the mask is truly amazing and two sides of the hair part (plume feather ponytail) can become details of some buildings for MOCers. She is holding two red katana, (I think they are NEW!), with an Armor Rock Shoulder Pads. Look at the printings at the side of the legs! I love them even though they are just a few crack lines there! The other minifigure that wearing this kind of mask are Ultra Violet (Oni Mask of Hatred) and Killow

To my surprise, under the mask is a biker's helmet instead of just one piece mask and I suppose the person under the mask and helmet is Princess Harumi with grey head and white band around the eyes. This minifig had the most accessories in this box.

As of the prints, she is printed all over. The grey makes her looks like a statue with expressions. I suppose it's her transformation after she wears the oni mask of hatred? Overall, I really love the detailed prints on her torso, arms and legs.

Ugly has a new definition now.

Future Jay. So Jay the Blue ninja has grown up and become 'Jackie Chan' in the future and come to the present and for what purpose? Hmm, let's don't go to that. He has arm and side leg prints, and he seems to lose his left eye. No alternate face and a blue ninja robe. Hey Gandalf, he took your staff.

6L Bar with stop ring.

Mohawk. He looks scary, with a black spiky hair, and a silver coloured baseball bat. One skull face, no alternate expressions and a highly detailed torso and jean print. The tatoos at the right arm looks amazing too!

Yes. 2018 bricktober is better than 2017. So much better.

Nya. The best minifigure so far for a Geisha looking girl. The prints are totally marvellous and the fan is very uniquely printed. I like the smirk as the alternate facial expression here on a kabuki-face printing. 

It's not about you.

Conclusion

As a non-ninjago fan, I truly don't appreciate this set as Ninjago characters but I still love them with so many detailed prints. This is totally worth for money as the minifigures are exclusive and can be used in so many ways. 

Review summary

Playability: 6/10 - Play feature? I didn't see any at the box art. But you can make a minifigure sit, stand or run, so I give it a six.
Design: 10/10 - Yes FULL marks for the design!
Minifigures:  9/10 - Future Jay is quite simple, and Harumi is scary. Hence the one point deduction.
Price / Value for money: 10/10 - Who doesn't love a free set? (I paid RM199 for the other set to get this free, but it's still worth it!)
Overall: 8.5/10 - This is a very good set and I think Ninjago fan would love it. Even I liked it very much.

I hope you enjoy reading my simple review and do express your comments below. :wink:

Harry Potter is next. Stay tuned.

This set is tremendously great value for NINJAGO fans. It's totally spoiling the market with all minifigures having very detailed printing  --  front, back, and sides -- makes me wonder why we can't have this much printing in regular series when TLG can practically give this away for free for promotions. Anyway, great review @kaelthas and thanks for the tag as well. :wink:

great review, I'm jealous you got it as in my country there is no bricktober promotion :(

btw. red katanas are NOT new, as they appeared in at least 3 sets on last ninjago wave (i have those 3 so could be even more) - 70639/70640/70643

I absolutely love that Nya, the expression, the facepaint and just all around amazing. Mohawk looks like the kind of guys I meet at gigs! I certainly need one!

Those are so great!  Thanks for the review.

Hope they'll appear somewhere in the US (besides eBay!)... that's a great promotional item.  :wub:

Absolutely awesome. I also happen to pick up one of this as well. Real detailed minifigure especially Nya in her geisha outfit. Thanks for sharing and I looking forward to see you with more of the Bricktober reviews, if possible. :sweet:  

These are amazing

Like for real.... They are more detailed than the Ninjago Movie CMFs

My favorite has to be Harumi. Love the stone printing 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:12 PM, makoy said:

This set is tremendously great value for NINJAGO fans. It's totally spoiling the market with all minifigures having very detailed printing  --  front, back, and sides -- makes me wonder why we can't have this much printing in regular series when TLG can practically give this away for free for promotions. Anyway, great review @kaelthas and thanks for the tag as well. :wink:

Go get yours. You shouldn't miss this.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:11 PM, Duxx said:

great review, I'm jealous you got it as in my country there is no bricktober promotion :(

btw. red katanas are NOT new, as they appeared in at least 3 sets on last ninjago wave (i have those 3 so could be even more) - 70639/70640/70643

Thanks for the info! Sorry about the wrong information here. By the way, where are you from?

On 10/6/2018 at 5:09 AM, Peppermint_M said:

I absolutely love that Nya, the expression, the facepaint and just all around amazing. Mohawk looks like the kind of guys I meet at gigs! I certainly need one!

Nya is certainly the gem of this set. Mohawk's torso and tattooed arm is really some amazing prints.

On 10/6/2018 at 6:35 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Future Jay has to be my favorite of the four, but all of them do have above-and-beyond detailing... *huh*

I suppose you are a hardcore Ninjago fan. I don't really see how special is Future Jay here compared to others in this set. Maybe due to my zero knowledge of Ninjago. Haha.

13 hours ago, deraven said:

Those are so great!  Thanks for the review.

Hope they'll appear somewhere in the US (besides eBay!)... that's a great promotional item.  :wub:

You're welcome! Try bricklink, I think they are there already.

1 hour ago, WhiteFang said:

Absolutely awesome. I also happen to pick up one of this as well. Real detailed minifigure especially Nya in her geisha outfit. Thanks for sharing and I looking forward to see you with more of the Bricktober reviews, if possible. :sweet:  

Thanks! Harry Potter Bricktober's review is brewing. I got them already, all I need is more time! haha

35 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

These are amazing

Like for real.... They are more detailed than the Ninjago Movie CMFs

My favorite has to be Harumi. Love the stone printing 

I think they are more detailed than a lot of other minifigures. Yes the stone prints are very nice indeed.

3 hours ago, kaelthas said:

I suppose you are a hardcore Ninjago fan. I don't really see how special is Future Jay here compared to others in this set. Maybe due to my zero knowledge of Ninjago. Haha.

Not at all actually! That's not necessarily to say that I dislike Ninjago, I just hold many other Action/Adventure themes in higher regards. For instance, regarding more recent "big bang" System themes, I prefer Nexo Knights over Ninjago but do prefer Ninjago over Legends of Chima. 

Now, as to why I prefer Future Jay over the other three in this pack, well, he's just a much more conservative design; particularly, I would find his head and printed arms useful parted out to reuse elsewhere. :shrug_oh_well:

I can't wait to get that Nya figure for my collection.

Quick question is there a minimum buy you have to make to get this pack? Or just buy Lego in general.

Also is it only found in ToysRus or can it be gotten from shop@home?

I was impressed with these designs even when we first saw them, but seeing them from more angles, the level of detail is amazing. Almost every one of the figures has printing on the sides of their arms and/or legs, and none of them seem to reuse an existing print — even Harumi's Oni Mask of Hatred has a different expression than in the main sets!

The gender balance in this set is also nice, although as unrealistic as it would be for a primarily boy-targeted property, I kind of wish that Mohawk had been swapped for one of the female Sons of Garmadon bikers seen in the TV series, just by virtue of the main sets not having any female 'grunt-level' bikers.

Hope I can find an affordable way to get my hands on this!

This is a good review (Even if it's a bit misinformed). As a Ninjago fan this set is AWESOME! You did a fair review in my mind.

Also Mohawk is even more unique than you know. He has pretty much all exclusive pieces aside from the black mohawk.