Blondie-Wan

Second 2018 LEGO Ideas Review Guessing Game

Second 2018 LEGO Ideas Review Guessing Game  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which, if any, of these product ideas will become sets?

• SpaceX Falcon Heavy
    • International Space Station
    • SpaceX - The Ultimate Collection
    • Steamboat Willie
    • M&M’s Chocolate Candy Dispenser
    • Rolls-Royce UltraFan®️ - The Ultimate Jet Engine
    • Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 LEGO Speed Champions
    • Fiat 500 F
    • The Central Perk Coffee of Friends
    • Mexico City & LEGO
    • none, because I am a no-fun destroyer of joy

Well I have been 50/50ish on the voting games but I might as well try again. 3 space sets this time around, out of those 3 I would say Space X Falcon Heavy is the most likely. I don't see Rolls-Royce Ulta Fan Happening at all, but I thought Treehouse was dead on arrival too. Mexico City is to similar to Architecture to be an Ideas set, I could see it as a skyline set later down the line though. Speed Champions is too similar to Speed Champions so that a no I think. Fiat 500 F looks possible. The Friends set is never going to happen, if the Big Bang Theory (which is a popular ongoing show) could not sell then no way will a set based off a 20 year old TV show. Steamboat Willie is also very likely as the official Disney Twitter account tweeted about it. The M&M Dispenser doesn't seem so likely to me just because I don't see kids caring for it too much. Out of all of these Steamboat Willie is the one I think they will go with as Disney products are popular and Disney themselves shared support for it. Personal I think it would make a nice set.

Would like to see the ISS approved but the last one failed so fear that this one will as well, also the Rolls-Royce Turbofan, but I don't think there is much of a market for that type of set, so fear that will fail as well, outside of those two there is nothing else in this review that I would buy.

PS The poll does seem to be working.

Edited by LucyCol

Huh. I’m not sure what’s going on with the poll, but it seems not to be working for me, and I’m the one who made it. Hmm.

I voted for the Disney one. 

But honestly? I think this will be a "none".

The M&M's one wont happen because of the food.

Engine is just...... plain and boring? I don't how that project made it to the review.

Space is overrepresented on Ideas. So, more space sets would be weird. Just introduce a Creator Space subtheme already.

Mexico is too similar to the Architecture line so it won't happen

The rest are meh...

Edited by Robert8

I don't think any will make it through this round, but I'll stick my neck out for the Fiat.  I might buy that one (the Peugeot I'd definitely buy but, agree, too similar to existing SC line).

Edited by spilledbricks

23 hours ago, LucyCol said:

Yeah, same here for me. :shrug_confused:

But, in the mean time, my picks would have to be for the Rolls Royce Ultra-Fan and The Central Perk Coffee of Friends; though I do suspect one of the two SpaceX projects and/or the ISS may pass review due to the popularity of the Saturn V set. 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:10 PM, LucyCol said:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, same here for me. :shrug_confused:

Does or does not?

It doesn’t seem to work for me, and I’m the one who made it. I don’t know what the issue is... :sad:

29 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Does or does not?

It doesn’t seem to work for me, and I’m the one who made it. I don’t know what the issue is... :sad:

Does not sadly. :look: 

Well, perhaps @WhiteFang or @CopMike could help us with this? 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

As to the actual topic, I think Steamboat Willie and the International Space Station are the two likeliest.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Does not sadly. :look: 

Well, perhaps @WhiteFang or @CopMike could help us with this? 

The poll does not seem to work indeed. I don’t know what’s the exact cause but I had highlighted this issue to the admins. You guys can continue discussing in here and let’s see what we can do from here. 

I think the most likly is the Space X - the ultimate Collection. TLG made more than one "NASA - space Exploration sets" and I love that theme. With the Micro roadstar this Project has more Little Details so I think this one is more likly than the Falcon Heavy stand alone one.

I would totaly buy an ISS, but I think that Maybe TLG would choose a non-NASA set over the third NASA-Ideas set. And I don't think they would choose two space-sets at once

35 minutes ago, Moguntia said:

I would totaly buy an ISS, but I think that Maybe TLG would choose a non-NASA set over the third NASA-Ideas set. And I don't think they would choose two space-sets at once

The fourth, in fact, after Curiosity, the Apollo Saturn V, and Women of NASA. But of course the ISS is more than just NASA, as its very name indicates.

Not long ago I’d have said there’s an excellent chance of a SpaceX project getting through, especially with two in this batch, but I think Elon Musk’s recent activity might diminish the chances a little (though there’s still a good chance of it).

On 10/6/2018 at 12:22 AM, WhiteFang said:

The poll does not seem to work indeed. I don’t know what’s the exact cause but I had highlighted this issue to the admins. You guys can continue discussing in here and let’s see what we can do from here. 

Has there been any progress made on debugging this poll glitch? It seems to still not work. :sad:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Has there been any progress made on debugging this poll glitch? It seems to still not work. :sad:

I’ve tried using the edit function to see if I can figure it out, but I still don’t know what happened, or whether it was a mistake of mine or a forum glitch or what. I was thinking about just reposting it (or perhaps having someone else do it) and starting over.

At least we can still comment with what we think is likeliest from the batch. I said earlier that I think Steamboat Willie and the ISS are likeliest. I’ll add that I think the Fiat 500 F is also likely.

That said, though, upon thinking about it a little more, I’m less optimistic about Steamboat Willie than I was earlier, since it’s ultimately a Mickey Mouse set, and “Mickey Mouse & Friends” is a currently active license. What might save it is that this set is so clearly tied to a very specific individual cartoon, one not really represented in anything else LEGO is currently making, but they do have a number of recent and current Mickey-related sets. If they’d made Mickey stuff before (so that the Mickey minifigure head mold existed) but weren’t currently offering anything, then Steamboat Willie would have a much stronger chance, but with Mickey well-represented in LEGO’s current offerings (as a Brickheadz, as a Duplo figure in current DUPLO sets, and even still as a minifigure in the still-available Disney Castle), its chances are more uncertain.

In fact, licensing seems to be more of a potential sticking point for this whole batch, as every single project seems to involve a license, with the possible exception of the Mexico City one (surely if the NASA sets are considered licensed, then the ISS would be as well). But I know the Architecture sets of individual buildings involve licensing from the buildings’ owners; if the same is true of the “skyline”-style sets with multiple buildings, then Mexico City + LEGO requires licensing as much as any other project here (indeed, perhaps more than them), meaning the whole batch is full of licensed projects. Lots of the review batches have been dominated by licensed projects, but I don’t think there’s been an entire batch that was nothing but licenses since the CUUSOO days, when there might be only one or two or three projects considered at a time.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I'm glad Central Perk made it, and now is waiting to see if they'd use yellow (most of them in the original submission) or flesh minifigs (like big bang theory)

Even so, it's one of the type of sets I'd still be interested in even with flesh toned minifigs. 

Yellow figures would make it a more generic City/Creator type set imo however.

I see some complaining about lack of Space sets , but 2017 had Women of NASA and the huge Saturn V set, and with City/TLM and even Overwatch Space I didn't expect a Space X rocket set or even ISS this soon.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I'm glad Central Perk made it, and now is waiting to see if they'd use yellow (most of them in the original submission) or flesh minifigs (like big bang theory)

Even so, it's one of the type of sets I'd still be interested in even with flesh toned minifigs. 

Yellow figures would make it a more generic City/Creator type set imo however.

As standard with all media-based properties since 2004, they should undoubtedly be flesh-toned.

9 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I see some complaining about lack of Space sets , but 2017 had Women of NASA and the huge Saturn V set, and with City/TLM and even Overwatch Space I didn't expect a Space X rocket set or even ISS this soon.

I'm just a bit bummed that both projects are based upon licensed properties; but, then again, none of the projects in this review were completely original in the same way the Treehouse and the Old Fishing Store were for instance. If anything, I would've liked one of the two approved projects not be another media-based property.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

As standard with all media-based properties since 2004, they should undoubtedly be flesh-toned.

That's what I expect due to Big Bang Theory being the closest of this type of set released, but still not a problem.

I recently got some minidolls, so I'm getting more used to the variations in modern LEGO.

Just it being a cafe/interior, type set is nice to see, even if they'd make it a bit smaller in the final result, it can still integrate into some City/Creator style builds.

Edited by TeriXeri

Well! “Steamboat Willie” is quite welcome here, but not really a huge surprise, except for my previously-noted concern about whether it came too close to being an existing license. The Friends project, on the other hand, is very much a big surprise. I never really gave it much consideration as a likely contender. And I’m also a bit surprised none of the three projects based on current real-life space exploration endeavors were selected.

It just goes to show I really never know what the LEGO Review is going to do.