Robert8

[PRESS RELEASE] 21316 - Lego Ideas Flinstones

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Pictures are out there indeed and if i've got i right sets will be in stores March 1. 

LEGO-Ideas-The-Flintstones-1.jpg

The idea has clearly been striped to its minimum. It could do with some more landscape elements yet the bowling game is a nice play feature. If the price is reasonable it will sell great imo. 

FLINTSTONE on the mailbox instead of THE FLINTSTONES like in the cartoon

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor the flintstones mailbox

Edited by Dragunov2

I'm on the fence with this one. There's a lot to like about this set,  but the problem is that you can look at the original project and see what hasn't been included.

The included figures are nicely done, the faces struck me as a bit too human at first, not cartoonish enough, but they are growing on me. I do wonder if Wilma and Betty might have worked better as mini-dolls, so that they looked more like their cartoon characters, but I reckon I'm in a minority of one with this opinion.  Barney should have had the short "child" legs, Pebbles and Bam-Bam also should have been included but I can live without them (I just have stronger memories of the earlier episodes before they got introduced). The absence of Dino is simply appalling though.  I get that they couldn't have added a custom moulded figure, but Jurassic Park sets have had these cute baby raptors, ok they're a little undersized, surely they could have made one in pink?

The car is very well executed. I agree that the the 2x2 round tiles with wood pattern are a bit too big, but they do a great job at hiding the technic brick making up the core frame, so I think it's an acceptable solution.  

The front wall of the house is just a flat vertical wall, it needs some texture or shaping.  Round the back, the fold-out floor panels seem a bit superfluous.  It took me a while to realise the telephone wasn't just some weird light shade, the phone in the original submission was a lot nicer.  Also, I really wish they could have kept the bird playing the gramophone record.  There are some nice touches, the use of the Uni-kitty display stand as the coffee table is sheer genius (I never thought that piece could be used in any other situation!), the tiger print curtains, and I like the TV

.So it's not a day-one purchase for me, but it's definitely something I'd like to pick up at some point.

The mailbox error and exclusion of Dino is somewhat annoying, but not a dealbreaker.   I remember voting for this one, so will probably pick one up soon.  

I have no interest in the Flintstones, but at least the original 'Idea' was colourful and fun. This looks flat and boring. I make that still nothing I like since the Doctor Who set...

Love the flintstones!

I'm disappointed in this set

- i miss the kids and dino + the bedrock sing

- i do not like the wheels, the are to simple, it think it needs to be more like stone ( maybe a couple of rock stickers that would help )

- the house is to clean it could be me more rock like

Greetings!

It looks like the final set is a medium quality ideasproject and the fan Moc was the real set made by professional designers, who live from that and have access to all the bricks they want. 

The final set is so incomplete and poorly done. There is no love at all. The Mail Box without "the", missing Dino&Kids, Barney with long legs(this is unforgivable badly done). I could go in and on. If i was the original Designer who put so much love and effort in this project, this insultingly bad set would make me cry.

It is unbelievable. I love Lego bricks and minifigures. I live for Comics drawing 90% of the time i don't have to work. My childhood was Lego and Cartoons. You can't find someone more forgiving (i would even pay the 60€ just for the figures of the original Ideas project) but Lego really manages it to produce that bad products for Toy Story and the Flintstones that i wont buy them.

If i had to give a grade it was a F. Just because there is no lower one. Everything which isn't bad is not made by Lego. 

Edited by Gorilla94

I wonder what the designer thought to screw up a set like this with so much nostalgia...

Okay, if Dino is missing, well yeah maybe, cause there is an explanation, so they thought about it, but all those remaining stuff.

Like the sign saying how much residents there are in Bedrock, not included, Barney with big legs, the error on the mailbox.

Easy things and already made, so they didn't need to find out how they had to do it, almost just a paste-copy of the original one

They just completely RUÏNED the Idea.
No Pebbles, No BamBam, even no predator bird.
The house looks now has a smooth front... despicable...
The Stone Age Feeling is far far gone.
Sign gone, mailbox screwed up.

Edited by coinoperator

Well, it looks much better than on leaked images. Overall, I think it's a good set to buy. It's bright, iconic theme, beautiful minifigures... For sure they simplified it and I would vote for original creation if I could. But still overall it's a good set. 

Hmm, I share Huw's opinion expressed in his review on brickset: If you just look at it, it is a neat set - but if you know the original Ideas submission you realize it could have been better... I do not understand why they didn't use at least the new "middle" length legs for Barney.

It is a bit underwhelming, but overall I do like it. I wonder why they chose this price point instead of going higher so they could’ve added more to it. If I can get caught up with what I want that’s ahead if this, I’ll definiteky pick it up. I love the car the most. 

I don't think he can give alot of negative comments on the set.

But most of the time u see after the set is released, they buy an official set and do some mods on it

I wish there was a bit more to the set, but I am still liking it a lot. I think the figures we got are very good, even despite the noises. Getting those hair pieces in that colour is great. The car is great and I think better then the original. I also think k the house is very good. I live location builds so this is right up my alley. Not perfect but I think the set is still great. 

I understand why they didn't go with the kids minifigs for this set. These four were the ones I wanted. But surprised that they didn't make a Dino. They could've put a decent Dino together from already existing molds, just giving him a new paint job. And not just for adult collectors. Adding a colourful dinosaur to the set would've increased the appeal for kids as well as kids LOVE dinosaurs, at least the ones I know. Also find it strange that they didn't go with shorter legs for Barney. 

Edited by snoozle

I had this set in my hands this afternoon and was about to buy it,  got to looking at it a little closer and just put it back on the shelf. Not sure why I just don't like it nothing specific, I just feel like it's lacking or something else I just can't put my finger on. Oh well may pick it up later, maybe it will grow on me. 

On 2/17/2019 at 12:28 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

The mailbox error and exclusion of Dino is somewhat annoying, but not a dealbreaker. 

It is for me. Too bad, I was looking forward to this set.

For me, I remember watching the Flintstones as a kid, but not a huge fan.  That said, this is the first Idea's set I will get since the Doctor Who set (both $60).  I think the fishing shack (just retired) will out sell both of these together.  

Hope this will be a good sell so they offer more Ideas sets.  A few more characters issued would probable help sales too (Dino, Bam Bam, and Pebbels).

I ordered my set via Shop@home on the 20th and it's still "In Process".  It's like a day until official launch and my order is not even "In Warehouse".  Already sent customer service a complain.  Anyone in also having the same issue?