Robert8

[PRESS RELEASE] 21316 - Lego Ideas Flinstones

Press release edit:

21316 The Flintstones

Ages 10+. 748 pieces

US $59.99  CA $79.99  DE €59.99  UK £54.99 – FR €59.99  DK 549DKK – AU $99.99AUD

*Euro pricing varies by country.  Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Have a yabba dabba doo time at Fred Flintstone’s home!

Enjoy modern Stone Age suburban life in Bedrock with this LEGO® Ideas 21316 The Flintstones collectible toy! A wonderfully nostalgic building toy, it features The Flintstones house and their iconic family car. The detailed house has a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, sofa, TV, coffee table, bowling ball and bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree. Build your own Flintstones vehicle that seats 4 minifigures and features a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element and an attachable dinosaur rib for creative play. The first animated TV series ever to be aired in a prime-time slot, The Flintstones cartoon was first broadcast in America in 1960 and has become an enduring family favorite around the world. Recreate hilarious scenes with the included cartoon character minifigures of Fred Flintstone, wife Wilma Flintstone and their friends Barney and Betty Rubble, or simply build and display this instant classic LEGO Ideas model.

• This LEGO® Ideas building toy includes 4 new-for-March-2019 The Flintstones cartoon character minifigures: Fred Flintstone, Wilma Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Betty Rubble.
  • The Flintstones home features a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, curtains and curtain rails, sofa, TV with aerial, kitchen sink, table and phone, fireplace, painting element on the wall, coffee table with fruit bowl and fruit elements, buildable floor lamp and lampshade, crate with a bowling ball and 3 bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree, 2 flower pots, flowers, plants and 2 milk bottle elements.
  • Includes a buildable postbox with printed ‘Flintstones’ decoration, plus a letter element.
  • The LEGO® brick-built Flintstones car features 4 minifigure seats, 2 steamroller wheels, a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element, plus an attachable dinosaur rib.
  • This creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about The Flintstones, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO® designers.
  • Build and display this collectible construction toy or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic American animated sitcom The Flintstones.
  • The Flintstones Bedrock home measures over 4” (12cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
  • The Flintstones car measures over 2” (6cm) high, 4” (11cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.

32180240587_1b123f0761_c.jpg

40157447223_cc2c5dd63c_c.jpg

40157445913_ac7e9a4324_c.jpg

46208334455_5968ff92b4_c.jpg

46208340005_de826d27cf_c.jpg

40157457993_4aed7770f0_c.jpg

33246846188_3049e8966a_c.jpg

40157452753_8b8d39e623_c.jpg

40157445163_6d455a1634_c.jpg

The project has been approved

The Flintstones

Yabba Dabba Doo!! Congratulations to Andrew Clark a.k.a. AndrewClark2 for this design which will officially become one of the next LEGO Ideas sets!

This nostalgic design brings plenty of fun flashbacks of all the stories with Fred Flintstone and the rest of the stone age gang.

If you'd like to learn more about Andrew then make sure to check out their 10K Club Interview.

5784874-Fan_Model_-_Not_Final_Product_Gr

I’m very happy this ideas was approved, but I can’t even imagine Fred, Wilma, Barney, Betty, etc. using standard minifigure head pieces. Other than that, I look forward to seeing the final design!

They can't

LEGO Ideas don't introduce new molds.

Not sure if they can reuse Aladdin's hairpiece out of the Disney theme. 

But anyway I don't Pebbles and Bam Bam will make it to the final set

I think they can use special molds in an Ideas set if they want to; the rules merely specify that the project can’t require them. It doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t do them on their own if they’d like to.

That said, AndrewClark2 did an amazing job at designing some really good Flintstones and Rubbles minifigures using only standard, existing pieces. I think LEGO Flintstones could take the route of LEGO Minecraft and LEGO Ghostbusters - using only extant molds (but with new prints) for the Ideas set, and then if there are any followup sets (turning it into a whole theme), producing new, theme-specific molds for those.

(Robert8, why didn’t you title this thread “Meet the Flintstones”? The opportunity was just sitting right there... :laugh: )

Yabba Dabba Doo! Great news. My favorite cartoon from childhood. I can not wait to buy this set. 

It's the noses. I imagine LEGO will get rid of them, like on cartoon characters like Captain Hook, Scooby Doo gang, etc...

57 minutes ago, MAB said:

It's the noses. I imagine LEGO will get rid of them, like on cartoon characters like Captain Hook, Scooby Doo gang, etc...

You can’t get rid of the noses from Fred and Barney, their potato noses are iconic. However I can see they being eliminated from Wilma, Betty and the kids.

This is pretty exciting news...I loved this show(in reruns) when I was a kid. I think this looks great. Like most, my purchase will hinge on what the final model looks like. 

12 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

You can’t get rid of the noses from Fred and Barney, their potato noses are iconic. However I can see they being eliminated from Wilma, Betty and the kids.

Like Captain Hook's nose?

On 10/4/2018 at 4:56 PM, Chiaroscuro said:

They should, because otherwise, they wouldn't flesh very well with their other LEGO Hanna Barbera counterparts, Scooby Doo and company. Speaking of such, I hope this inspires someone to submit a decent looking Jetsons project to LEGO Ideas in response. :smug:

11 hours ago, MAB said:

Like Captain Hook's nose?

Good point. But Hook has other features to make him recognizable (Hat, Hair, Mustache).

18 minutes ago, MicroJow said:

They'd better add Dino! A Flintstones set without Dino would be like a Scooby Doo set without Daphne!

Personally I was hoping for the great Kazoo, although I will still be getting this set, I very much like it. 

2 hours ago, MicroJow said:

They'd better add Dino! A Flintstones set without Dino would be like a Scooby Doo set without Daphne!

The Ideas proposal has an excelent brickbuild Dino!

Hello, do you think that we'll get the Bart's slingshot as seen on the fan model ? I mean, there are some pieces released under licences, that we never see after the first release. I thought that slingshot was a piece that we could have seen in several themes (City, Creator, even Friends, etc.) then nothing after the CMF Simpson Series 2. The same for some hair (Alice, Mr. Incredible, Aladdin...) If we finally get it in a set, is it the kind of pieces that we get one more ?

Edited by notpennysboat

I wonder if the dinosaurs will be brick built, because I don't think they can use the Disney molds out of their theme

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I wonder if the dinosaurs will be brick built, because I don't think they can use the Disney molds out of their theme

Disney molds? Are there any Disney-related dinosaur molds other than Rex from Toy Story? (I mean, discounting birds as dinosaurs, so excluding Donald, Daisy, etc.)

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Disney molds? Are there any Disney-related dinosaur molds other than Rex from Toy Story? (I mean, discounting birds as dinosaurs, so excluding Donald, Daisy, etc.)

I meant Pascal. They used it there

Ah, right! I’d forgotten. Hmm, I don’t know. They might be able to use it, but I think they’d just find another option.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:55 PM, Chiaroscuro said:

Good point. But Hook has other features to make him recognizable (Hat, Hair, Mustache).

So who is this ...

SixKviT.png

or this ...

M80HxKy.png

I think he is fairly recognizable by the outfit.

Can't wait to buy the set, hopefully it's as good as the idea submitted.