Carsten Svendsen

Horrible looking mold marks on brand new panels

What gives? I bought these from a reputeable Bricklink seller. They've been underway for a week and a half but surely it's something with the mold?

The mold numbers are mostly all different, I counted about 6-7 different molds.

30331f99c8.jpg

db2d3cb367.jpg

That wave is the weld line where the plastic joins together from two or more directions.  My panels look the same and black is just more visible than other colours.

5x11 panels have been like that since their introduction in 2009, I think. And the mold marks are located in the back, so they won't affect the look of a model.

I have always noticed that wave effect in every one of my panels, I will say though probably not as noticeable as yours seem to be. It almost seems as though you have them in very bright light with them angled just right for maximum reflection in order to highlight the wavy effect. 

I have as also notice that, but on inner side it is more intensive. Last summer we wanted to rebuild one of my mocs to full studless with frames and panels but black bodywork does not look nice with those lines. 

I have a ton of those size panels already and none of them have these marks. These are the first I've ever seen with these marks. Also, it's not just on the back, the images clearly show it on the front too.

I put it in the bright light to catch it better on camera, but even in person it's very noticeable anyhow.

The panels that I already have are from sets at least 3 or 4 years old. I have none from the recent years. And the panels I have are probably made in Denmark rather than Germany where I bought them from.

I'd say it's a quality control issue.

EDIT: I reviewed my other panels and I have to say that they have the mold marks too, but not in any way as noticeable as these ones. So I'm wrong, but -

I also noticed that the new ones I got are very shiny, where as the black ones I already have are matte. Maybe that is why it's easier to notice. Are they not using the same plastic?

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

Every panel I have that is 11x5 has the line. Even ones from 42000, 42053, 42052, 42066...

Every one of those panels BUT the medium blue one from the race jet has one for me.

I have had a different markings issue with my Bugatti: most dark blue panels and beams have sort of matte lines all over them!

I've noted matte and lustrous patches on flat Technic panels such as the 5×11 and 3x11, as well as the titular wavy lines. It's most noticeable on the black ones.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

I also noticed that the new ones I got are very shiny, where as the black ones I already have are matte. Maybe that is why it's easier to notice. Are they not using the same plastic?

Some years ago they used full-coloured ABS granulat , now they use most % transclear ABS mixed with coloured ABS .

I have also much shiny beams , expl. yellow .

32 minutes ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

Some years ago they used full-coloured ABS granulat , now they use most % transclear ABS mixed with coloured ABS .

I believe this change has happened before 5 x 11 panels were introduced. So the issue discussed in this topic shouldn't be related to this change.