Peppermint_M

Action and Adventure Themes Discussion

23 minutes ago, Countdraynor said:

Check out my MOC The Wild West !

I used to love old western films growing up so thought I’d design a Wild West themed set, complete with a Saloon, Sheriffs office and plenty of old western action!
Please check it out and let me know what you think 🙂

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/201f60ae-c2bf-4810-b422-d5a950d0221e

Looks awesome

I love old cowboy and western films too and would love a set like this as a display piece. Keep up the good work 😃

Hey all ADVENTURE themes fans! These 2 YouTube channels cover a lot of adventure themes... 

Brick Monarch

Bricking Up Brad

Example 1.) Bricking Up Brad

Example 2.) Brick Monarch

. . . and yes there is also videos about Western theme!

Hey, could this be a NEW adventure theme? Detective adventurer...

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/52f44609-e275-4694-a69e-5578a68eeb2d

or maybe Sherlock Holmes?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/29291cf7-9141-4dfb-9628-37c6ce5e59e7

(I am a bit sad that we did not get Hercule Poirot in that Orient Express adventure train) 

Edited by legoturtle

Posted (edited)

71025-7.jpg?201909090221

Happy NEW year 2024! It took only about 9 hours and first buy.

I try to get Natural History Museum (Dr. Kilroy) and Orient Express (Pippin Reed) this year. AND then I put them next to this Johnny Thunder. ADVENTURERS is back 2024. MAYBE...

Edited by legoturtle

Guys! Is it a good idea to start collect this theme? LORE is amazing. Everything is well thinked trough. Minifigures all have purpose AND the list goes on and on...

On 1/30/2024 at 11:54 AM, legoturtle said:

Guys! Is it a good idea to start collect this theme? LORE is amazing. Everything is well thinked trough. Minifigures all have purpose AND the list goes on and on...

If you're willing to pay the money it can take to collect a retired theme, sure.

Pharaoh's Quest was interesting, even though I never really collected any of it myself. Tonally, the emphasis on supernatural undead foes and dramatic transforming ruins made the theme feel more similar to '90s action movies like the Mummy trilogy, compared to the classic Adventurers theme's Indiana Jones pastiche (which also featured supernatural elements but in a much more reserved way). I did really appreciate the characters' meteorological naming scheme, calling back to the American names of the Adventurers characters (before international names like Dr. Kilroy and Pippin Reed replaced them in later years).

Well, in this chase money is probably problem. some of the sets are super expensive. actually same with ghostbusters :/

Are we going to see some heroes from Adventurers show up in City’s Jungle subtheme this summer?

56 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Are we going to see some heroes from Adventurers show up in City’s Jungle subtheme this summer?

It was on IG today - apparently Johnny Thunder will reappear. Yay! I'm so excited!

It sounds like we will, even if they are not directly named. That is the thing about City right now, they mix in named characters and generic figures. I would love a named Johnny Thunder, but a nod with a figure that looks just right (Like Pippin being on Safari a few years ago!) is as wonderful.

3 hours ago, The Reader said:

It was on IG today - apparently Johnny Thunder will reappear. Yay! I'm so excited!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!

After looking at these rumours again I'm beginning to feel a little underwhelmed. It comes across as more like regular "City" sets but with a cameo by Johnny Thunder, instead of something like "City Adventurers" à la the new "City Space." I hope at least we get some of the other characters like Pippin and Kilroy in some more "Adventure-y" outfits than in the Musuem and Orient Express or maybe it will open the door for a proper reboot in the near future.

I'm excited, but I'm also tempering that excitement. If it turns out when we see official pictures to be everything I've ever wanted, then I'll get excited. Text-based descriptions are almost always inaccurate in some way and even preliminary pictures can be deceiving! I don't want my imagination running away from me and then be sad when the theme doesn't live up to my dreams.

Edited by Murdoch17

Yeah, totally. I saw the rumour just before going to bed so got myself all worked up but have calmed down now. The part count is a little on the low side with the highest being 314 pieces, supposedly a water plane, which doesn't sound like it will be anything too substantial but I'd like to be surprised. The other two are said to be an ATV and off-road vehicle, stuff that Lego has done countless times before in City which honestly sounds rather boring unless they make them a bit more unique with an early 20th century design.

I would like to see the water plane be similar to 5925 Island Hopper

5935-1.jpg

Or the off-road vehicle like 5934 Dino Tracker

5934-1.jpg?199911090444

That would make them more unique.

A hot air balloon or redesign of the Aero Nomad would also be cool

7415-1.jpg?200212130134

But I'm getting myself too excited and hopeful again!

Edited by Autumn

Yeah, unfortunately I think it'll be more akin to the modern Jungle exploration subtheme versus a 1920s/30s era exploration theme.  I think the allure of the Adventurers theme, to me, was the heroes vs. villains dynamic, the booby traps and mystical/supernatural aspects of the locations, and the world-building aspect that the theme just nailed, in my opinion.  Essentially, it was everything that made Indiana Jones amazing, but they could pretty much do whatever they wanted since they weren't sourcing material from movies.

I'd be surprised if they even go for a treasure hunting angle, I think it would more likely be something along the lines of researching plants/animals.

Edited by Kit Figsto

To put it into perspective: the original 5935 Island Hopper was only 205 parts (figure parts included) back in 2000, and the 76947 Quetzalcoatlus Plane Ambush from Jurassic World 2022 was 306 parts including the dinosaur and figs. So a good plane set with 314 parts is possible if you include a few more figs and another animal than 76947.

Just my thoughts.

I'll keep my expectation low.

But fun fact: When I first heard about set 60435 Jungle Explorer Plane / $19.99 / 177 parts I immediately thought that this might be some kind of Adventurers' stuff (like set 5925). But we will see how it turns out.

As comparison: Set 60217 (big fire plane) has 347 parts; I guess that the plane without the car and the sidebuilds might have around 180 - 200 parts. Set 60250 (small mail plane) has 70 parts.

I hope it's not Larry Jones ...

cty1313.png

Edited by The Reader

There are five Jungle sets announced, correct?

30665 Meet the baby gorilla / polybag / 34 parts

60424 Jungle Quadbike and Red Panda / $9.99 / 92 parts
60435 Jungle Explorer Plane / $19.99 /177 parts
60426 Jungle Explorer Off-Road Vehicle / $29.99 / 314 parts
60437 Jungle Helicopter & Explorer Base / $99.99 / 881 parts

Edited by The Reader

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, unfortunately I think it'll be more akin to the modern Jungle exploration subtheme versus a 1920s/30s era exploration theme.  I think the allure of the Adventurers theme, to me, was the heroes vs. villains dynamic, the booby traps and mystical/supernatural aspects of the locations, and the world-building aspect that the theme just nailed, in my opinion.  Essentially, it was everything that made Indiana Jones amazing, but they could pretty much do whatever they wanted since they weren't sourcing material from movies.

I'd be surprised if they even go for a treasure hunting angle, I think it would more likely be something along the lines of researching plants/animals.

But Space subtheme in City is not in our time - it’s set in the distant future, in a distant galaxy. 

So there is no way we know about “modern” jungle subtheme yet. I will keep my hope low tho. I’m just happy that we will see Johnny Thunder minifigure himself. 

I love the discourse regarding Adventurers here. Does anyone watch Lindsay Nikole on Youtube? She explores animal and plant species in different eras of Earth History. I understand we have a fascination with the Jurassic period. But there are such cool plants and animals from the Silurian, Devonian, and Carboniferous periods. From giant trees, to giant dragon flies, I feel there is so much content begging to be made as sets. I would appreciate adventurers come back, and wouldn't mind if it eventually somehow replaced the Jurassic world theme. But if Jurassic World is here to stay, we could always focus on other life forms and plant forms from other periods for Johnny Thunder and other heroes to explore. That would be fun.

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

I love the discourse regarding Adventurers here. Does anyone watch Lindsay Nikole on Youtube? She explores animal and plant species in different eras of Earth History. I understand we have a fascination with the Jurassic period. But there are such cool plants and animals from the Silurian, Devonian, and Carboniferous periods. From giant trees, to giant dragon flies, I feel there is so much content begging to be made as sets. I would appreciate adventurers come back, and wouldn't mind if it eventually somehow replaced the Jurassic world theme. But if Jurassic World is here to stay, we could always focus on other life forms and plant forms from other periods for Johnny Thunder and other heroes to explore. That would be fun.

I would love another in-house thee, please! I like your idea for in-house theme. Never-see-before plant and animal speices that are not featured in Jurassic World would be amazing. I know I shared my two ideeas for  adventure in-house theme, “Timequake” (right after Time Crusiers) and “Lost City” (featuring Johnny Thunder’s grandaughter who wants to be adventurer in modern time).

6 hours ago, Lion King said:

I would love another in-house thee, please! I like your idea for in-house theme. Never-see-before plant and animal speices that are not featured in Jurassic World would be amazing. I know I shared my two ideeas for  adventure in-house theme, “Timequake” (right after Time Crusiers) and “Lost City” (featuring Johnny Thunder’s grandaughter who wants to be adventurer in modern time).

Thanks! I agree, Time Cruisers/Adventurers has so much potential because there are so many species and settings beyond Dinosaurs and the Jurassic era in history to explore. Plus,  ancient civilizations can be fleshed out and explored in new ways we haven't seen before too. The Mayans, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, so much history from both Humans and animals to explore. Lots of untapped potential imo.