Anonknee Muss

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 19 Rumors, Speculation and Discussion

Confirmed. Thats how the actual figure was supposed to look.

The render and leaflet are wrong

So Lego put the pictures of series 19 up on their social media today and after 8 hours I thought it would be interesting to see how many likes each of them had on Facebook (since fb allows you to like the individual pictures in the post separately). The following are from most liked to least liked based on when I checked (note: this is nowhere near the order they showed up in on the post)

Dog Sitter - 296

Jungle Explorer - 233

Pizza Guy - 220

Fox Suit Girl - 193

Gardener - 192

Video Game Champ - 182

Shower Guy - 172

Galactic Bounty Hunter - 167

Programmer - 156

Monkey King -154

Bear Suit Guy - 153

Fright Knight - 151

Rugby Player - 110

Mummy Queen - 106

Mountain Biker - 105

Firefighter - 77

i don’t think anyone will be surprised that the Firefighter is in dead last, and the fact that the animal molds occupy 4 out of the 5 top spots isn’t shocking either. But I personally didn’t expect the Programmer, Monkey King, Fright Knight, and Bear Suit Guy to basically be neck and neck (I’m guessing they all have very different fan bases). 

Edited by Accio Lego

3 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

don’t think anyone will be surprised that the Firefighter is in dead last, and the fact that the animal molds occupy 4 out of the 5 top spots isn’t shocking either. But I personally didn’t expect the Programmer, Monkey King, Fright Knight, and Bear Suit Guy to basically be neck and neck (I’m guessing they all have very different fan bases). 

The Monkey King is actually one of my favorites. It’s not perfect but very detailed and unexpected for a minifigure design. It doesn’t surprise me however that it’s not popular as it seems niche and many people won’t know where it comes from (Su Wukong legend)

11 hours ago, ToaIruini said:

The Monkey King is actually one of my favorites. It’s not perfect but very detailed and unexpected for a minifigure design. It doesn’t surprise me however that it’s not popular as it seems niche and many people won’t know where it comes from (Su Wukong legend)

I think many people likely know the Monkey King from video game appearances instead of the origin.

League of Legends (Wukong)

Dota 2 (Monkey King)

Diablo 3  has an item set named Monkey King's Garb (example Sunwuko's Crown for headpiece)

Heroes of the Storm has a Monkey King skin for Samuro

Edited by TeriXeri

There are a couple of English language TV shows, and at least one movie, that I know of based largely around the popular Chinese novel The Journey to the West: The Lost Empire (Hallmark miniseries), The New Legends of Monkey (Netflix series), and The Forbidden Kingdom (Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie).

I suspect popularity will vary by country/region. 

For example, the Gardener is a North American trope: flamingo garden ornaments were invented and popularised in the US, but never caught on much elsewhere.

Rugby, in contrast, is predominantly a European/antipodean/Fijian/Samoan/South African sport, so the Rugby Player will be relatively more sought after in those countries/regions.

As mentioned, the Monkey King is from the Chinese story “Journey to the West”, so that minifigure will be relatively more in demand in China and Chinese sphere of influence countries.

Italian American cuisine and cheese dishes in general aren’t nearly as big in East Asia as they are in many other countries, so the Pizza Suit Guy won’t resonate as much with Chinese, Korean and Japanese kids.

Edited by AmperZand

11 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I suspect popularity will vary by country/region. 

For example, the Gardener is a North American trope: flamingo garden ornaments were invented and popularised in the US, but never caught on much elsewhere

You may be right, but in the specific case of the flamingo I guess most people will get it since it is a new animal mould and not use it as a garden ornament in builds, so it will be popular in other parts of the world as well:shrug_oh_well: I for sure will get a hole flock of them :wink:

22 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I think many people likely know the Monkey King from video game appearances instead of the origin.

League of Legends (Wukong)

Dota 2 (Monkey King)

Diablo 3  has an item set named Monkey King's Garb (example Sunwuko's Crown for headpiece)

Heroes of the Storm has a Monkey King skin for Samuro

Arguably the most well-known interpretation of the character ironically isn‘t depicted in a Chinese story, but rather a Japanese one instead: Son Goku from Dragon Ball, even down to his name which is the Japanese reading of the monkey king’s Chinese name :wink: Of course it’s not what people immediately think of when they hear ‚monkey king‘, but technically it‘s true :shrug_oh_well:

11 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

On @StoneWarsDE, there are excellent detail pictures of each of the figures:

https://www.stonewars.de/reviews/lego-71025-minifiguren-serie-19-review/

Huh, Johnny Thunder has a render-to-product design discrepancy too. The rope diagonally crossing his torso design is brown rather than red... *huh*

71025-11.jpg?201908010244lego-71025-abenteurer-minifigur-4.jpg

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Yes, and the feet printing is missing

You mean his dual-molded brown boots? Nope, those are still there if you look closely. :wink:

11 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

You mean his dual-molded brown boots? Nope, those are still there if you look closely. :wink:

The actual minifig has reddish brown boot printing that the render lacks :classic:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

The actual minifig has reddish brown boot printing that the render lacks :classic:

Ah, I see! Plus, I just also noticed that both the dual-molded boots and hat may now be Dark Brown rather than Reddish Brown to contrast... :distressed:

Officially in Walmart's computer, but none around here has them in stock yet. SKU: 736691856

Edited by K_Tiger

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ah, I see! Plus, I just also noticed that both the dual-molded boots and hat may now be Dark Brown rather than Reddish Brown to contrast... :distressed:

Yes that’s right but the backpack is still reddish brown.

The Fox suit girls legs might work with the hazmat guy if they are the same color.

36 minutes ago, 1Panda said:

The Fox suit girls legs might work with the hazmat guy if they are the same color.

I really hope so... looking back I don’t quite the hazmat’s legs. Thanks, now I need to buy two Fox girls :grin:

There's a review over on stonewars.de. The face print on the mummy looks to be pretty badly out of register. Whether it's just a bad one, they're all lousy, or it's just the pitfalls of macro-photography pointing out flaws you likely won't see even with good eye sight remains to be seen. :shrug_oh_well:

52 minutes ago, K_Tiger said:

There's a review over on stonewars.de. The face print on the mummy looks to be pretty badly out of register. Whether it's just a bad one, they're all lousy, or it's just the pitfalls of macro-photography pointing out flaws you likely won't see even with good eye sight remains to be seen. :shrug_oh_well:

I noticed that as well

The printing quality on that minifigure is .... not the best

The render of the explorer (on the green question mark background at least) is all reddish brown as pointed out above however you can just about make out the boot printing but it’s a similar colour to reddish brown so it’s not easy to see.

17 hours ago, J4ck said:

Yes that’s right but the backpack is still reddish brown.

Indeed, quite likely if the lighting there isn't deceiving us, hence why I hadn't mentioned it alongside the boots and hat. :classic:

I must say, the change in color of the rope slung across this figure's torso design isn't at all upsetting for me, as the product render's red rope slightly placed the archetype into a more modern context, whereas the brown rope makes the overall design all the more vintage! :thumbup: