Anonknee Muss

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 19 Rumors, Speculation and Discussion

4 hours ago, williejm said:

Well I was suggesting a non-dumb costume guy.

I know, I know, that was just a little bit of my spite against those kinda CMFs snuck into there. :sceptic: 

Ya know though, the more I've thought about "costumed" CMFs after starting that one poll topic awhile back, I do somewhat wonder if they may be the only thing drawing kids to the non-licensed CMSs nowadays, hence Series 18... :def_shrug:

Y'know, hours after I posted that thing about the Mythos being too mature for LEGO, the ST leak happened, and I guess I've got to retract my statement about maturity restrictions.

Still, Octopus Guy. Not Octopus Costume Guy, or Coothooloo. Maybe something that calls back to the Atlantis theme like that Dino Hunter lady or the Blacktron cyborg.

Well, for one thing, H.P. Lovecraft's "Cthulhu Mythos" is not that well-known outside the US.

Many games and comics are heavily inspired by Lovecraft, but e.g. here in Denmark the original novel is almost unknown, except by a few die-hard fans.

Stranger Things, on the other hand, is big on cable-TV all over the World, so there is a much better marketing potential in that.

8 hours ago, obsidianheart said:

Maybe something that calls back to the Atlantis theme like that Dino Hunter lady or the Blacktron cyborg.

Speaking of callbacks, I'm still waiting for proper CMF representation of the Adventurers theme, as I'm surprised we haven't yet seen a straight-up Indiana Jones/Johnny Thunder-like Adventurer/Archaeologist CMF more in the vein of @Robert8's hypothetical design for such. :wink:

44397724900_9200e8e4f2_o.png

9 hours ago, obsidianheart said:

Y'know, hours after I posted that thing about the Mythos being too mature for LEGO, the ST leak happened, and I guess I've got to retract my statement about maturity restrictions.

Well, as I brought up on another topic, Season 2's Mind Flayer is pretty close conceptually to Cthulhu.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, and all we know at this point is that it has sixteen figures, but nothing else to work on... :sceptic:

Bless ya pal. Carry on with life and it’ll soon come around.

19 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I know, I know, that was just a little bit of my spite against those kinda CMFs snuck into there. :sceptic: 

Ya know though, the more I've thought about "costumed" CMFs after starting that one poll topic awhile back, I do somewhat wonder if they may be the only thing drawing kids to the non-licensed CMSs nowadays, hence Series 18... :def_shrug:

I doubt they're the only thing. And the number of costumed figs in Series 18 seemed to be less about that being the only thing kids cared about, and more about trying to create a unifying "party" theme (much like Series 14's unifying "monsters theme) to tie in with the minifigure's 40th anniversary. Costume parties simply happen to be the type of party that allowed for the largest variety of minifigure designs/themes. It certainly wound up being less repetitive than if they'd based it on, say, a pajama party or dance party.

Anyway, even if you don't care much for costumed character minifigures, I think it's worth keeping in mind that several of them can provide parts that are useful for later minifigures that don't fall within that category. Just as an example, I could easily see the wings from the Butterfly Girl reused on a Fairy Queen minifigure in the future.

Since it's so many time ago that we've seen the last unlicensed and unthemed CMF series - shame on Lego btw - I hope that we'll see mimimum one minifigure of the following "subthemes":

costume: fox suit guy / ice cream suit girl / cow suit girl

City: abecedarian with large cornet of cardboard filled with sweets and little presents given to children in Germany on their first day at school / circus acrobat / TV director

Castle: maiden / hangman / farmer

Western: Sioux chief / medicine man / maiden

Romans: Praetorian guard / legate / senator

Adventures: adventurer / rain forest aboriginie / colonist

Plus I really hope that the new medium sized legs (til now only seen in HP sets) will show up in the regular CMF series, too!

20 hours ago, J4ck said:

Bless ya pal. Carry on with life and it’ll soon come around.

Hey, don't you worry, I'm not at all losing any sleep over this; besides, a sixteen figure CMS is more likely than not a "traditional" Series, as all exceptions to the rule nowadays just keep pushing the envelope further in their CMF counts (18 figures, 20 figures, 22 figures...). :classic:

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Anyway, even if you don't care much for costumed character minifigures, I think it's worth keeping in mind that several of them can provide parts that are useful for later minifigures that don't fall within that category. Just as an example, I could easily see the wings from the Butterfly Girl reused on a Fairy Queen minifigure in the future.

Of course, but they could do better in those regards on a more frequent basis. Like I've said elsewhere before, they could try to be more like the figure in 5005250 Party Banana Juice Bar, depending if the $3.99 CMF price tag can accommodate as much printing and dual-molded atop such CMFs' costumes as that figure had.

5 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Adventures: adventurer / rain forest aboriginie / colonist

Within the "Adventurers" sphere of things, I'm still here holding out hope for a Amelia Earhart inspired Aviatrix CMF, primarly to act as a female counterpart to the Series 3 Pilot CMF. While I have my heart set upon one with a brown leather aviator's jacket print, I wouldn't at all mind if it rather turned out like this instead:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, don't you worry, I'm not at all losing any sleep over this; besides, a sixteen figure CMS is more likely than not a "traditional" Series, as all exceptions to the rule nowadays just keep pushing the envelope further in their CMF counts (18 figures, 20 figures, 22 figures...). :classic:

You are so right. I didn’t look at that way, I just assumed it would work out since we’ve not had a traditional series this year but great insight Digger!

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

You are so right. I didn’t look at that way, I just assumed it would work out since we’ve not had a traditional series this year but great insight Digger!

While I'm pretty certain September will indeed be giving us Series 19 based on that alone, it'd still be great to hear further insight and/or confirmation of such from @Itaria No Shintaku:classic:

Does anyone here see any possibility for a Golfer CMF for Series 19 so shortly after TLM2's Gone Golfin' President Business? I mean, that CMF could just almost pass for a generic archetype of such for a "traditional" Series, though I'd still gladly welcome a proper representation of the archetype within a non-licensed CMS.

Perhaps it's too soon for such? :shrug_confused:

71023-14.jpg?201901150206

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Does anyone here see any possibility for a Golfer CMF for Series 19 so shortly after TLM2's Gone Golfin' President Business? I mean, that CMF could just almost pass for a generic archetype of such for a "traditional" Series, though I'd still gladly welcome a proper representation of the archetype within a non-licensed CMS.

Perhaps it's too soon for such? :shrug_confused:

*snip*

I say too soon.

The Johnny Thunder-based CMF idea you posted earlier looks awesome, by the way, I'm really hoping to see something like that. Just give him his special hat, though, along with a red bandana.
Something Adventurers-inspired (we already got Dash from Alpha Team as the spy, but we've yet to see an adventurer pop up as a CMF).
I'd love to see Adventurers as a reboot theme but as of now, that's unlikely to happen, it's as if LEGO has mostly abandoned those kind of themes and has delegated them
to CMF appearances. Same for Western, which I'm hoping will at least be reprsented by a cowboy-esque (or bandit) figure with a new hat in series 19.

Edited by General Magma

I think a golfer is too soon, but a ways down the road they could give us an old-fashioned one. It would also be a good reuse for the bagpiper's beret mold..

A 'Lady Duffer', 'Caddy', or 'Groundskeeper' (ala Caddyshack) might not be out of the question.

9 hours ago, General Magma said:

The Johnny Thunder-based CMF idea you posted earlier looks awesome, by the way, I'm really hoping to see something like that. Just give him his special hat, though, along with a red bandana. Something Adventurers-inspired (we already got Dash from Alpha Team as the spy, but we've yet to see an adventurer pop up as a CMF). I'd love to see Adventurers as a reboot theme but as of now, that's unlikely to happen, it's as if LEGO has mostly abandoned those kind of themes and has delegated them to CMF appearances.

Well, also within the "Adventurers" sphere of things, I'd love to see something more in the vein of the original's Orient Expedition subtheme, hopefully quite shortly after we potentially see official CMF representation for a more straight-up "Adventurer" archetype. Particularly, a "Himalayan Explorer" CMF similar to these two character concepts would be pretty sweet! :blush:

marc-scott-malefig03.jpg?1442008021marc-scott-ghfr2.jpg?1442008019

4 hours ago, gedren_y said:

A 'Lady Duffer', 'Caddy', or 'Groundskeeper' (ala Caddyshack) might not be out of the question.

Hey, perhaps a female counterpart would indeed be the way to go if Lego were to give us a generic Golfer CMF much sooner than later after TLM2's offering for such! :thumbup: 

7 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

I think a golfer is too soon, but a ways down the road they could give us an old-fashioned one. It would also be a good reuse for the bagpiper's beret mold..

Kinda again like @Robert8's take? :wink:

35172853125_98171f9fab_o.png

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Regarding the Lego Movies' representation of certain CMF archetypes (such as the Golfer with Gone Golfin' President Business), one other archetype that has been represented by the first Lego Movie's CMS (but not yet by the "traditional" CMS line) is a Barista with Larry's character. While I know Larry's CMF represented the archetype just perfectly (with further representation of such within the City theme after the fact), it'd still be nice if the "traditional" CMS line saw a Barista CMF of it own eventually. Unlike the Golfer archetype, there's probably been enough time after the first Lego Movie to give the archetype another shot within Series 19 or further down the line.

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Regarding the Lego Movies' representation of certain CMF archetypes (such as the Golfer with Gone Golfin' President Business), one other archetype that has been represented by the first Lego Movie's CMS (but not yet by the "traditional" CMS line) is a Barista with Larry's character. While I know Larry's CMF represented the archetype just perfectly (with further representation of such within the City theme after the fact), it'd still be nice if the "traditional" CMS line saw a Barista CMF of it own eventually. Unlike the Golfer archetype, there's probably been enough time after the first Lego Movie to give the archetype another shot within Series 19 or further down the line.

Now I'm imagining a CMF line of corporate-branded minifigures, like a "Starbucks Barista" and a "Nike Foot-Racer" and a "Wilson Golfer". Don't know why your post sparked that.

15 minutes ago, obsidianheart said:

Now I'm imagining a CMF line of corporate-branded minifigures, like a "Starbucks Barista" and a "Nike Foot-Racer" and a "Wilson Golfer". Don't know why your post sparked that.

Well, if Lego wanted to, they could easily fill every year with random license-branded Collectable Minifigure Series by completely halting the theme's longest running line, turning it into nothing more than Funko Pop junkie bait. But, nevertheless, they're keeping it alive, and I'm so very happy that they've kept it that way so far. :classic:

I think there should be:
Firefighter
Cook
Yell leader
Fashion Model
Doggy Suit Guy
Buccaneer
And Chemist

A Jim Henson theme would also be cool for kids.
It would probably have:
Elmo
Kermit The Frog
Big Bird
Cookie Monster
Miss Piggy
Grover
Gonzo
Roulf
and Others.

29 minutes ago, lhp776 said:

It would probably have:
Elmo
Kermit The Frog
Big Bird
Cookie Monster
Miss Piggy
Grover
Gonzo
Roulf
and Others.

The creatures from Dark Crystal! Maybe even the Henson Creature Shop versions of the TMNT characters! But that's Licensed series wishful thinking.

It's that time of year again. I'm a castle fan and I always look out for (historically realistic) medieval minifigs in CMF series. Last few series have been a disappointment, with the last properly good one being the series 15 Frightening Knight. What I'm really hoping for this time around is a medieval peasant, blacksmith or other civilian figure. While I wouldn't be disappointed by some sort of warrior figure, the medieval civilian figure is in much shorter supply.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:37 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Plus I really hope that the new medium sized legs (til now only seen in HP sets) will show up in the regular CMF series, too!

They’re no longer exclusive to HP - Disney series 2 has two new colours with Chip and Dale. I’d love a bunch of new colours to come out to go with my monochrome collection.

15 hours ago, lhp776 said:

I think there should be:

• Firefighter
  • Cook
  • Yell leader
  • Fashion Model
  • Doggy Suit Guy
  • Buccaneer
  • And Chemist

By the way, are you yet aware of @Itaria No Shintaku's guessing game? :wink:

15 hours ago, lhp776 said:

It would probably have:

• Elmo
  • Kermit The Frog
  • Big Bird
  • Cookie Monster
  • Miss Piggy
  • Grover
  • Gonzo
  • Roulf

and Others.

Plus, there's @Robert8's speculation topic for future licensed Collectable Minifigure Series! :classic:

28 minutes ago, KristinnK said:

It's that time of year again. I'm a castle fan and I always look out for (historically realistic) medieval minifigs in CMF series. Last few series have been a disappointment, with the last properly good one being the series 15 Frightening Knight. What I'm really hoping for this time around is a medieval peasant, blacksmith or other civilian figure. While I wouldn't be disappointed by some sort of warrior figure, the medieval civilian figure is in much shorter supply.

Within the medieval realm of things, I'm hoping to someday see a Sorceress archetype as a future CMF.

Edited by Digger of Bricks