Sign in to follow this  
greg3

P Class Ration Wagon WDLR [MOC]

Years ago, I made a MOC of a narrow gauge engine from WW1 Tin Turtle and then promptly took it apart and forgot all about it!! Now I'm back in a WW1 mood and have decided to rebuild the model and create a small scene around it. This has involved a bit of research into the War Department Light Railway (WDLR) which was set up to deliver munitions and other supplies/evacuate casualties. I'm still awaiting parts for the engine(s!) but here's my first bit of rolling stock... the War Department P Class Ration Wagon.

44987718751_1ac928c6c9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44987719531_035617a799_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As it's name suggests, it was intended to carry food and other supplies to the trenches. The sides were hinged to aid loading/unloading.

44987719141_e57cd2157a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

All loaded up!!

30051868947_0f8764d40b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

After dropping off supplies the wagon could then be used to evacuate casualties. The tall frame at each end was designed to allow the wagon to carry 2 stretchers.

31115083508_4e274784c9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44939092322_02dd1bdb5c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I've not much experience of building train related stuff and despite being a small build, it turned out to be a bit trickier than I'd expected to make the size/proportions look right - it's not perfect but I think it looks ok!! I ended up using a Brickarms clip for the coupling as the technic piece I wanted to use just looked too big!! I also had a play around in creating a little trench scene around it (unfortunately that's all the narrow gauge rail I have at the min!!) 

44939091782_592f4b596c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44987719321_b450e63241_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

44987718731_cdbaa4c112_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.... comments are always welcome (hopefully it won't be long before I can add some more wagons/engines/track to it!!)

Edited by greg3

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I love the design of this little wagon ...it's very inspiring for me! :thumbup:

Is the hook of the wagon a piece from BrickArms?

Hi 

Thanks for the comments...

The "hook" is two bits of cut flex tube and a Brickarms "u-clip" 

Link

Hope that helps.

Nice job on your trench RR wagon there.  I was actually thinking about making something similar based on the new roller coaster tracks & car bases for my post-apocalyptic setting (due to major frontline areas being heavily fortified & trench-intensive).

The one British soldier in the bottom pics doesn't seem overly thrilled at the selection of food that just arrived, though. :head_back:

11 minutes ago, Laura Takayama said:

The one British soldier in the bottom pics doesn't seem overly thrilled at the selection of food that just arrived, though. :head_back:

He can see that there’s an officer on the scene who is checking the contents of the wagon and will take all the best rations for the officers mess. :tongue: