Andy Glascott

Birth of a layout - time lapse video

Hi everyone,

I've been mainly lurking and commenting occasionally these last couple of years because I've been busy building my latest layout, and rather than post WIP pictures as it went along I've been taking stills to put together into a time lapse video of the whole build. Here's a photo of the layout as it stands. 

42892087540_f8b68d9860_c.jpgWhole Layout (DSC09786) by andyglascott, on Flickr 

The video is on Youtube.

Building started in December 2016 and for the first 8 months or so was fairly quick, then I got to the point of relying on monthly Bricklink orders. There is still a bit of work to do, particularly on the station, which as you can see is in a corner....

44701291221_8b65727900_c.jpgWIP Station (DSC09747) by andyglascott, on Flickr

As well as waiting for monthly Bricklink orders, progress has also slowed as the birth of our first approaches next month, so I figured even though things aren't finished, if I don't post this now it might take a while to get to a "finished" stage! The top level of the layout is 9v, with just 2 trains on it, the bottom is 12v with 7 trains, 3 of which can run at any time (there are three 12v loops on the bottom). Enjoy.

Andy

Edited by Andy Glascott
Tags added

Whoah! What a layout, this thing is massive! I was pretty amused about the can of Coke moving around at the table, very cool idea to make a time-lapse. :thumbup:

Any idea about the piece count for the track parts only?

I loved your time lapse video, particularly the guest appearances of your cat.

Thanks y'all. @Capparezza I can assure you there was more than one can of coke moving around the table during the build :classic:

According to Bluebrick, the track count is:

• 187 straight 12v
  • 94 curve 12v
  • 1 crossing 12v
  • 6 points/switches 12v (4L & 2R)
  • 116 straight 9v
  • 32 curve 9v
  • 4 points/switches 9v (2L & 2R)

@peterab Thankfully the cat no longer jumps up on the table.... 

Great home layout! Do you have chance to take it apart and bring it to an exhibition? I think, the answer is "no" ;-)

Great to see also 12 Volts on your layout. Nice blue MOC loco running in circles with 7740 and 7745.

May I ask how you deal with dust on such a layout? A vacuum cleaner train would be good for the tracks. But can you reach every house, car or Minifigure? 

Thanks for sharing! 

Holger

3 hours ago, HoMa said:

Great home layout! Do you have chance to take it apart and bring it to an exhibition? I think, the answer is "no" ;-)

Sadly, no is the correct answer, the wiring is just too much (my guess is there is  70+ metres of wire to control the switches etc). 

3 hours ago, HoMa said:

Great to see also 12 Volts on your layout. Nice blue MOC loco running in circles with 7740 and 7745.

May I ask how you deal with dust on such a layout? A vacuum cleaner train would be good for the tracks. But can you reach every house, car or Minifigure? 

I can reach every part of the layout directly by hand,  no part of it is more than 3 base plates from the middle or any one side. 

3 hours ago, HoMa said:

Thanks for sharing! 

Holger

You’re welcome 

Wow! What a layout! :classic: :thumbup:

I really enjoyed watching the time lapse video, a clever idea! :wink:

Dave

On 9/27/2018 at 7:07 PM, Andy Glascott said:

Building started in December 2016 and for the first 8 months or so was fairly quick, then I got to the point of relying on monthly Bricklink orders.

And I see at some point you also started relying on help from God, as evidenced by the cross that appeared on the wall :)  Great layout and great video. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by sed6
cnat spele

7 hours ago, sed6 said:

And I see at some point you also started relying on help from God, as evidenced by the cross that appeared on the wall :)  Great layout and great video. Thanks for sharing!

That’s a very good spot @sed6! My method of earning Lego money is youth director at a church, the cross was part of a mentoring program I was part of. 

Amazing Layout. I like the different levels and how nicely they are LEGO built. Hopefully in our new house I can get something close to this (or at least I hope so...)

On 9/29/2018 at 2:00 PM, Andy Glascott said:

That’s a very good spot @sed6! My method of earning Lego money is youth director at a church, the cross was part of a mentoring program I was part of. 

If you use LEGO in enough sermon illustrations people start giving you LEGO gifts :D

Impressive layout and great to see 12v and 9v trains.  Any idea of the part count?  Apart from the station building, what's left?  Do you have any space for future modular buildings - often a problem in Lego cities that nobody thinks of when building!

Anyway, amazing layout.

4 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Impressive layout and great to see 12v and 9v trains.  Any idea of the part count?  Apart from the station building, what's left?  Do you have any space for future modular buildings - often a problem in Lego cities that nobody thinks of when building!

Anyway, amazing layout.

Thank you. Part count - no idea beyond 20,000+ green 2x2 bricks in the mountains...  I still want to add more trees, develop the park in front of Assemby Square and other bits and pieces. There's no more space for modular unless I add more space, which my wife has suggested :classic:

On 10/2/2018 at 7:03 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Do you have any space for future modular buildings - often a problem in Lego cities that nobody thinks of when building!

I did for mine, built last year with space left for more than five modulars. In the current layout there is only empty space left for two but I can easily clear space for two or three more.

But if Lego releases other interesting sets in the meantime, that's always a problem. For example just before I start my layout they released the old fishing store and the ninjago city, so I had to change my plans to extend a little the layout area for these.

Very nice layout Andy, it is great to see the construction in timelapse.

I just found a little sad that all these classic 80s road plates are actually not visible in the final layout and were just used like regular baseplates :laugh: