The concert's on, come have a listen!

Disco 2000 Vinyl Store is my (I think) ninth modular and the closure of the A Summer in Tuscany - Klee Corner - Disco 2000 trilogy. I was dying to do a new corner building, mainly for three reasons: First, Lego's doing one this year, so I figured... why not? Second, because I hadn't done a pure 32x32 corner building since Sweets & Co., almost a year and a half ago! And third, because I wanted to. Without further ado....

31077104478_f35af16b87_h.jpg

It may not be apparent at first glance, but this modular has easily been the most time-costing and hardest modular to build. The ground floor was built up fairly quickly between May and June 2018, but creating something worthy on top is what took me all summer to figure out. So the model began on steady wheels. The brightly-coloured "boxes" on the ground floor take direct inspiration from both my own Klee Corner (the pizzeria had a similar idea) and the London Undergound. In fact, the dark red ground floor used to be an entrance to an undergound station that was closed down some years ago that has now been transformed into a state-of-the-art vinyl store. The dark red ground floor is almost a copy of those entrances that can be found in the Tube's Northern Line, covered in those beautiful blood-coloured tiles. Even in my Lego interpretation, I was able to add the beautiful sand blue lights. :classic:

44230141394_afeb528858_h.jpg

Outside there's a sign, "Disco 2000", it says. The old-fashined font and style of the sign is totally on purpose. Wait, there's people singing and dancing on the street... A paparazzi on the roof of the dark green glass box... Is he famous or something? Both the white windows of the tube entrance and the dark green windows are lying on their sides. In the case of the green ones, it's not quite so obvious, so it's pretty cool. :laugh: There's some albums outside, which (if you can guess which they are you're a real god), but I'll talk about architecture first.

The Architecture:

44950399991_e0ec05fead_h.jpg

Architecturally speaking, this model is very interesting. Just like in Klee Corner, this has three different buildings onto a single baseplate. The advantage being, of course, that I have two full façades to split them up. The final building is almost colour-coded. Every part of the build has a colour associated to it.

The central and most important part of the building, kind of the "eye" of the building, is constructed using a similar method to the one I used for the façade of the lounge on Klee Corner, only this time using a 2-stud-wide pillar going up rather than a 1-stud-wide one. There were so many different iterations for the central part, even one being sort of a peacock-coloured flimsy spaghetti (maybe at building 8 out of the 15 built). I got that bug of wanting this building to do so many things at the same time that I had to chop down things that I'd done which no longer fitted the image I chased. The final result is way simpler than some previous ones and has a lovely Belle Epoque feel to it. This final iteration is inspired by the gorgeous entrances of the Paris Metro (metro entrance over underground entrance, that's kind of hilarious :iamded_lol:). I retook one iteration of Klee Corner for the shape of the roof, so it has a perfect triangular balance with the two side pieces. The Iron Horse+Klee Corner+Paris Metro, I think the result's pretty cool! I had already done the first render when I realised the façade needed some more dynamism. Initially, the windows were totally aligned. I then changed that static feel by breaking the lines and making them follow the curvature of the escaling roof. I love the double curve that the escalating windows and the curvature of the building itself have. :classic: creator saying stupid stuff.

44901611742_dad99245ba_h.jpg

The brown building on the right scared me a little bit, as I'd never been able to pull off a good dark building, brown, for instance. Dark Orange, when rendered in Pov-Ray, though has this chocolate colour which is just delightful. In fact, this side building was not part of the plan first, as a whole building covered the whole "London undergound" ground floor. Then, for quite a while I had a cool texture for a brick wall that was just six studs wide which helped me figure out the measurements for the central building. That idea stuck, but in the end, due to the central building being shrinked, this brown building grew. I gave it some windows inspired by those of a school that I walk past every day and the greatest of rooflines. You really have to look at this: there's pieces looking in four different directions. The right way up, upside down and to both sides! :grin:

The white/blue/yellow building on the left has a bit less of a tumultuous story to it. It began as a version of the Met Breuer, as the central building was to be something along the lines of a Gehry work. Once I'd settled for a much more colourful design on the other two buildings (after a looooong while), that grey thing looked as terrible as a stain on a red dress. Therefore, I reused on of the ideas for the central building for this side one, adapted some earlier window designs, changed the colours, added the sign, and voilà! There it is!

The Interiors:

44902159732_1b706bfe2c_h.jpg

Cross the gates to the awesomeness of the world of music. Because this was done in LDD, I couldn't build those racks full of vinyls, so instead I covered an entire wall of the best-selling vinyls. Note: All the covers are Lego interpretations of real albums! In fact, there's the entire discographies of two bands! Have a guess! The pattern on the floor, funnily enough comes from a "Where's Wally?" book which had a similar one. There's turntables and hanging vinyls on the window shop.

30013877927_5d22e6885c_h.jpg

On the opposite side, there's a nice Dalí-inspired coach with... again the same special guest!? Now, that can't be a coincidence, can it?

The floor above has a magnificent concert stage for artists to play. I really like the atmosphere I captured in this area. I can easily imagine a songwriter playing his/her songs on that stage, as the city lights shine bright behind the sand green building. There's a small bar for guests to take a drink as the concert's on. The room's, though, not big enough for all the audience, so some of those left outside have to climb outside the window and listen from there. Be careful! *oh2* The interior is built in a Brick Bank kind of way, all the different buildings share one same interior.

30013957547_1e7437f859_h.jpg

Finally, the top floor is... A music shop! Couldn't be anything else, could it? 1 Assembly Square can start to tremble as there's a new neighbour next doors with much better instruments and at a better price. The widest range of guitars in all the imaginable colours and shapes, keyboards, amps, synths, drums and pianos. They say the owner of the Magic Shop built this drum kit and his grandchildren have put it on sale. They also say that both pianos, those of Magic Shop and Klee Corner were bought here and that's why they don't have one on stock right now. This drum kit, they say, is so loud that it was able to distort time and make the owner of Magic Shop live over 170 years. Maybe it was his potions what kept him alive. :pir-look:

44038925525_bb3948d3d5_h.jpg

Again, who's that guy? He's everywhere!

One Last Image:

44229542704_6916ad4baf_h.jpg

Disco 2000 Vinyl Store, surrounded by its two new friends, A Summer in Tuscany and Klee Corner. I think that Disco 2000 may even look better surrounded by other models than alone, unlike the other two, which definitely look better alone.

Hope you like this modular! :classic:

Pau

Edited by paupadros

Very nice architecture. I like how you built up the facades at the top. 

Also, I'm usually not a fan of the classic smilies (and endeavour to replace them all with more interesting faces on my Modulars) but that rocker with the tattoo over his smiley face just takes the cake for me. ^^

Another classic! As usual full of bright colours and interesting details, I'm sure if I read over your text and photos again I will find even more details I missed the first time. :laugh:

I really like the shaping and the way the colours all work together. It reminds me quite a lot of Klee corner, especially with that nice swooping shape of the roofline on the sand green central building. Think I actually prefer this to Klee Corner, although they are both really great so it's hard to pick a favourite.

My favourite part of the model and the section I find most eye catching is the building on the left. I really like how the yellow, white and green work so well together. That Disco sign and striped awning really set it off too. :thumbup:

Love the final picture with all 3 models side by side. They all work together seamlessly and this model bookends the other buildings really nicely.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ooooh, that Sand Green corner has to be the icing on the cake for me on this beauty! :thumbup: :grin_wub:

Thanks @Digger of Bricks :laugh: Really tried the hardest I could to make an architectural element that is not present in any official modular and that I'd not captured before. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Very nice architecture. I like how you built up the facades at the top. 

Also, I'm usually not a fan of the classic smilies (and endeavour to replace them all with more interesting faces on my Modulars) but that rocker with the tattoo over his smiley face just takes the cake for me. ^^

Thanks @Feng-huang0296! I really like how it seems as if there's two different buildings, one for the ground floor and another for the first and second (or second and thrid, how you prefer it). Which of the three whould be your favourite? Well, I'm polar opposite, if I buy DD, I'll be sure to put some classic smileys tot he figures! It was really fun to play around with that figure. Btw, do you know who he is?

33 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Another classic! As usual full of bright colours and interesting details, I'm sure if I read over your text and photos again I will find even more details I missed the first time. :laugh:

I really like the shaping and the way the colours all work together. It reminds me quite a lot of Klee corner, especially with that nice swooping shape of the roofline on the sand green central building. Think I actually prefer this to Klee Corner, although they are both really great so it's hard to pick a favourite.

My favourite part of the model and the section I find most eye catching is the building on the left. I really like how the yellow, white and green work so well together. That Disco sign and striped awning really set it off too. :thumbup:

Love the final picture with all 3 models side by side. They all work together seamlessly and this model bookends the other buildings really nicely.

Thanks a lot for writing this long message @Bricked1980! This time I even challenged myself to retrain the palette a little bit, but... inevitably, there was not much I could do. I agree, there's many similarites with Klee Corner, but this time, I wanted it to have a more relaxed atmosphere, less of an "in your face" effect. While the colours are still there, I consciously toned it down a bit. As for the swooping on the green building, it just felt right to do so, as Klee Corner was supposed to have its swoop centred in the first place, but didn't work out. I'm not sure which out of the two is my favourite. Too early to decide for me. :tongue: The building on the left is also maybe my favourite, but the others have such great elements that it's really hard to decide. My favourite architectural element is definitely the brown building's roofline. So glad you like it!

Edited by paupadros

My favorite is the yellow-white part on the left, but the wave-like corner glass wall is also original. I'm just trying to imagine this building in my city, but I would have to change almost all the colors to fit. Your buildings are so colorful, and I immediately identified your style, before actually checking who was the builder. Nice work.

19 minutes ago, kodlovag said:

My favorite is the yellow-white part on the left, but the wave-like corner glass wall is also original. I'm just trying to imagine this building in my city, but I would have to change almost all the colors to fit. Your buildings are so colorful, and I immediately identified your style, before actually checking who was the builder. Nice work.

Thanks @kodlovag ! It's funny you say this about colours, as it's not something conscious I do. Maybe it's because all the buildings that I get inspired by are yelling for attention, most Art Nouveau stuff. I tried to use interesting shapes everywhere I could and I think the building on the left may be the most traditional or pleasing to the eye, as it has some Dutch influence to it.

So glad you like it! :laugh:

Another splendid MOC modular Paupadros. Your parts usage to create facade details is always enlightening, the jam-packed-detail interiors are excellent and tackling of more varied architectural styles is always enjoyable. Your builds are always one of a kind. Fantastic work!

18 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Another splendid MOC modular Paupadros. Your parts usage to create facade details is always enlightening, the jam-packed-detail interiors are excellent and tackling of more varied architectural styles is always enjoyable. Your builds are always one of a kind. Fantastic work!

Thanks @koalayummies! I definitely always try to challenge myslef on something, here it was shaping, but I guess my parts usage and colours for façades already comes in the pack subconsciously. Building it certainly was a struggle, but in the end I think the buildings are nothing like I've build before, which is ulimately, the goal :laugh: Glad you like it, means a lot!

31456168267_b2e3aa6893_b.jpg

Hello everybody! I just wanted to show you one of the many iterations I did for this building (in fact, the second-to-last one and the only one rendered :laugh:!). There's some peculiar last-minute changes I made that are rather fun to spot. I thought all the changes were for good then, but looking at the image again last week, I couldn't help but think I should've sticked to the roofline I had for the white/dark blue/flame yellow part.

Edited by paupadros

Wow! This is utterly fantastic!

My memory is hazy but it kind of reminds me of the 'Tower Records' shop, that used to be in Birmingham city centre (UK), many years ago.

Stunning work, paupadros! 

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Lovely modular building, my favorite architecture and color is the sand green middle façade ...I simply love the belle epoque! :wub:

Thanks @LEGO Train 12 Volts! The closest anyone had got to conveying the "glass and iron" architecture of the Belle Epoque is maybe Lego with BB, although it still is very off. I kind of wanted to turn Guimard's parisian metro entrances into a building and that's what I ended up with :wink:. So glad you love it!

34 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

Wow! This is utterly fantastic!

My memory is hazy but it kind of reminds me of the 'Tower Records' shop, that used to be in Birmingham city centre (UK), many years ago.

Stunning work, paupadros! 

Thanks a lot! The interior is not based on any shop in particular, I just "copy-pasted" bits and pieces I liked from different ones. In fact, the red arched exterior of the shop is inspired by the metro entrances of the Northern Line. I very glad you like and and hope you found some inspiration here and there :classic:

It's a very inspiring build indeed paupadros!

I was referring more so to the green façade. I think it's that, that was making the connection in my head to the old 'Tower records' shop in Birmingham, rather than the interior of the shop itself.   

15 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

It's a very inspiring build indeed paupadros!

I was referring more so to the green façade. I think it's that, that was making the connection in my head to the old 'Tower records' shop in Birmingham, rather than the interior of the shop itself.   

No matter what it is, I'm glad you like it! In fact, I'd done (if I recall correctly) ten different designs for that part of the model. It's funny how from the sketch I made when I began making it, the only surviving part is the ground floor. :classic: Merry christmas!

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, paupadros said:

No matter what it is, I'm glad you like it! In fact, I'd done (if I recall correctly) ten different designs for that part of the model. It's funny how from the sketch I made when I began making it, the only surviving part is the ground floor. :classic: Merry christmas!

No matter how many times it's taken you to design that bit, it was well worth it as it looks awesome!

Merry Christmas to you too! :classic:

On 12/26/2018 at 4:19 PM, Dazzzy said:

No matter how many times it's taken you to design that bit, it was well worth it as it looks awesome!

Merry Christmas to you too! :classic:

Thanks! I think I striked the balance right between an evocative design and something that is just bananas. Sorry for the late response, I guess, "happy new year" is more appropriate! :laugh: