Sign in to follow this  
Blondie-Wan

Happy Birthday, LEGO Dimensions

LEGO and Warner Bros.’ ambitious, sprawling, wonderful, glorious, and ill-fated toys-to-life mega-mashup was officially released three years ago today, after six months or so of rumors, leaks, teases, and build-up. The game never performed quite as well as hoped, and within a year there’d already been some startling sales at 99 cent stores, but the game still had another great year of releases ahead of it, even if not great revenue figures. In about another year, the final wave of Year 2 released, and though by this time the rumors and rumblings of the game’s imminent cancellation were deafening, with official confirmation finally arriving a few weeks later (on October 23 2017 - less than a year ago), the game had still left its mark, with dozens of expansion packs featuring characters from a staggering array of pop-culture entertainment properties - many of which had never had official LEGO products before, and may never have any more beyond these - alongside ones from a handful of LEGO’s own homegrown themes. The game expanded the roster of characters (and chibi-esque, Tiny-Turbos-like mini vehicles) officially available in LEGO wildly beyond what anyone could have foreseen, say, three years and seven months ago (at least without insider information about LEGO’s workings), and with an amazingly entertaining (if wallet-sucking) game on top of all that. And for that, the LEGO community is all the richer (particularly those portions of LEGO fandom with an interest in screen entertainment from the 1980s).

:: raises a glass ::

Happy birthday, LEGO Dimensions. I’m very sorry you’re not healthy and thriving at age 3 as your makers had hoped, but you’re still amazing and fun, and left us with a truly remarkable assortment of official LEGO figures of beloved characters. I’m so glad I’ve been able to play not only the tiny sliver I’ve gotten to play of the game, but to also be able to get all the packs for myself, and I can’t wait until I finally get a PS4 and can play through everything at my leisure (I just hope I can do it before they turn the servers off!).

On 9/27/2018 at 9:29 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

So... anyone do anything LD-related today to mark the occasion?

I didn’t but this is a sweet commemorative post. 

We got the “Mr T Mohawk piece” which arguable wouldn’t have been used in Ninjago if it wasn’t for LD. 

*raises glass*

Thank you Lego Dimensions.

Starting this thread is the most I did for it on the 27th, but on the 29th I bought a third Starter Pack (this one for Wii U; I already had PS3 and PS4) after finding it dirt-cheap at Best Buy, and I just opened it and assembled the Minifigures, portal, and Batmobile. There are some great parts in the Starter; I’m glad I have multiples.

Hopefully I’ll have a PS4 in the not-too-distant future.

I absolutely love LEGO Dimensions. Although greatly disappointed that it is no longer expanding, I am very thankful for the game, the characters, the nostalgia and the fun I had, and have, with this game. Thanks for this thread as it brings many great memories back and makes me look forward to playing Dimensions again soon.

Happy fifth birthday, LEGO Dimensions. You may not be thriving, but you’re still great fun.

Sorry this is so late; the way the days are now in the era of COVID-19, I lose track of dates easily.