Sign in to follow this  
Fenghuang0296

10268 Vestas Wind Turbine

No one else seemed to want to post a topic to discuss this, so I figured I might as well. 

Alright, it's official! Lego is rereleasing the Vestas Wind Turbine. 

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/09/26/lego-opens-vault-to-re-release-10268-vestas-wind-turbine-on-black-friday-news/

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. My layout does need an energy source, and I'm all for going green. But I gotta say, the price is about as high as the fan itself. So I'll certainly be looking for a good discount if I do get this - which, considering that Overwatch, Ninjago and TLM2 are gonna eat into my budget significantly, is definitely an 'if'. 

Discuss. 

Yeah, looks good, but $200 USD even with the Power Functions that are included seems like an awful lot for an 800 piece set!  At first glance I was hoping it was just the model with PF optional and a more reasonable price point.  Oh well!

It's pretty much a part for part rerelease, not much to see in that regard. When the best part of a $200 set is an eco-friendly spruce tree, there's a problem. Next!

I have to agree. NZD$400 is rather steep all things considered. I'm still very tempted by it for its uniqueness (I've only recently come out of my dark ages) but the price is very offputting, especially since it's also PF not PU like the entire rest of my motorised gear.

I was very excited for this set, but seeing that it's twice as pricey as I thought it would be, I'm hoping it'll go on sale somewhere where I can pick it up for a more reasonable price.

There is another thread where this was discussed however I was unaware of the price then, now yikes, you can get the original for that price, crazy. 

7 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

There is another thread where this was discussed however I was unaware of the price then, now yikes, you can get the original for that price, crazy. 

Where can you get the original set for $200 US?  I'm seeing $450 and up for it....

Can anyone compare the price/weight ratio of this set to that of other sets? I really like this model, but I'm having a terrible time trying to justify 250CAD for ~820 pieces.

Bricklinking this set mustn't be that hard. Besides those green BURPs and the extension cable, the rest of the pieces are quite common.

I'm super excited for this one and will be picking it up despite the less than ideal price point. I've wanted this one ever since it was first revealed back in the day, and while 7747 Wind Turbine Transport from City was a pretty good substitute, it wasn't quite the same, but it was like $400 USD cheaper.

This set seems to suddenly come from nowhere !

I remember 10 years ago, when set 4999 was - well not really released, but given away to Vestas employees. The AFOL community ran crazy back then when they realized they couldn't own this set on a regular basis. Click here to read the topic "we want the Vestas power plant!" - With 140 replies!!!
I indeed bricklinked the parts intstead and built 2 copies myself! :laugh:
Still almost 3000 people want this set on Brickset! Well, here's you chance - get your copy.

I for myself was completely underwhelmed when I saw it is a 100% re-release. :hmpf_bad:

EDIT: It's not a 100% re-release, but 95%. For example no more ugly stickers (hurray!) but printed elements! :thumbup:

This is rather ridiculous, if you ask me.

The price tag is a total joke, even if you factor in the power functions. 800+ pieces and a motor are not worth 180€. And while a few of the pieces are rather large, most are pretty standard in size. Lego's pricing policy is all over the place lately, and this is the most baffling example yet. This should be no more than 100-110€, and even then it would be slightly on the expensive side.

And I seriously wonder if there actually is much demand for a set like this? The original sure is a coveted set, but apparently it's extremely rare mainly because it was only given away to Vesta employees.

Those who really want one can get one now, but I just don't see a huge mass market appeal. At least here in Germany, wind turbines are considered eyesores by most, and pretty much wherever they want to build one citizens start interest groups to protest against them (typical nimby stuff, mostly, the protests usually aren't against renewable energy as such, luckily).