Anonknee Muss

Jurassic World 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

The angles that video shows  :wub:  I can't wait to own that thing.

:laugh_hard: Did you notice Ray Arnold´s arm in Ellie´s vignette (at around 2:29)? If I get this set, I definitely need a "bar holder with clip" in reddish brown.

Despite my frustration that the set is not the visitor´s center and that no vehicle is included (why LEGO, why?), I must say the vignettes are done very nicely, and I like how the designer included some easter eggs like he mentions in the video.

As frustrated as I was when I saw the leaks for the first time (damn false expectations), the biggest problem for me is the price at the moment. But I think I can withhold the urge to buy the set until it is discounted with 20-30%. The only thing that could convince me to do a day one buy is an attractive GWP, like a Jeep with Robert Muldoon or Ford explorer with Donald Gennaro and the kids (talking about false expectations...:hmpf:)

I've been a Jurassic Park fan for decades, this is a huge disappointment. The price (I know the piece count thank you), and not Jeep is a pass for me. Nice figures though. I'm still hoping for a Visitors Center in the future, maybe with a jeep. But at this price point it would be like $500.

7 hours ago, Maple said:

I've been a Jurassic Park fan for decades, this is a huge disappointment. The price (I know the piece count thank you), and not Jeep is a pass for me. Nice figures though. I'm still hoping for a Visitors Center in the future, maybe with a jeep. But at this price point it would be like $500.

Same. I think this set is a harsh reminder that Lego is still a children's toy

4 hours ago, Johnjacob said:

Sadly that's no longer the case. LEGO is an elitist item, for rich children and adults. It's clear within 5 years the hobby will no longer be in my budget. Which is what is most upsetting about thing. 

5 hours ago, Maple said:

Sadly that's no longer the case. LEGO is an elitist item, for rich children and adults. It's clear within 5 years the hobby will no longer be in my budget. Which is what is most upsetting about thing. 

Surely that depends on what you as a customer buy. Lego have always done a varied amount of set sizes for this very reason. Inflation/cost of living/wages don’t make Lego elitist, it is as a toy a luxury item anyway, i.e. you don’t need it like you need food, water and shelter. We all “need” it because it’s our hobby, or in some cases livelihood. Their production costs will naturally go up as the world becomes more aware of the decreased longevity of the planet and changes have to be made, hence the trial eco-friendly green pack. Change for the better always costs more to begin with, because the change has to be implemented. It’s the way of things, not elitism.

5 hours ago, Maple said:

Chances are kids will want sets from the Jurassic World series - movies from their time -  and not an old movie like Jurassic Park. So it makes sense that LEGO produces a number of sets from JW at price points that parents can afford. Which is what they have done.

10 hours ago, Johnjacob said:

How does this set show that? A high-price vignette display piece of a 26 year old movie? There’s no play features in this set it’s literally for display... a visitor centre with cars would be more kid-friendly 

6 hours ago, Maple said:

I hate seeing people complain that Lego is so expensive. Most of the time you can get it 20% off, and it’s nowhere near the other prices of other toys. Transformers for example, in 2009 ‘deluxe’ class figures were £10 and stood on average about 7” tall. Now, 9 years later, they are £25 and most are about 5” tall. That’s inflation, Lego has managed to keep their prices pretty much the same for the past 15 years.

12 hours ago, Whovastron said:

That’s inflation, Lego has managed to keep their prices pretty much the same for the past 15 years.

Price per part might have been similar, and old sets had less parts overall, but price to volume has certainly gone down a lot in some cases, more small bits and pieces.

Also some sets in licensed themes are much higher priced in some EU countries, likewise for City sets in the US.

And in case of so many Exclusive, LEGOLAND or Shop@Home sets, discounts are sometimes non-existent.

I guess it highly varies per country as well, and not all areas have big physical storefronts.

I hardly go to physical toyshops when they sometimes sell above LEGO's own prices... 

Overall a tricky subject, because there's so many more factors, like currencies, salary. work hours, tax changes etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

The comments here... unreal and unshackling. It's like everyone has the same LEGO is Awesome at EVERYTHING mindset. It's cult like and sickening. 
I'll go to enjoying my hobby in private again. Thanks.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, MAB said:

If someone wants a small version, they can buy this:

10758-1.png

If they are going to go big, they might as well go big. There are plenty of smaller JW sets already if people want smaller ones.

Plus, it seems  there are always complaints about wasting parts on vehicles in larger sets aimed at older people, when they should have used the parts for the scene and left out the vehicle. Only if they do that, then there are complaints that there should be a vehicle. They will never win there.

Those vehicle complaints are for sets like the Endgame Compound set with a random car and helicopter that don’t appear in the film and are just pointless filler. The vehicles in JP are iconic. There’s a massive difference.

23 minutes ago, Maple said:

The comments here... unreal and unshackling. It's like everyone has the same LEGO is Awesome at EVERYTHING mindset. It's cult like and sickening. 

Certainly not everything is awesome.

There's goods and bads and I only buy the sets/themes I really like, otherwise , one of those not-so awesome things like the price sometimes, does add up.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 hours ago, Whovastron said:

How does this set show that? A high-price vignette display piece of a 26 year old movie? There’s no play features in this set it’s literally for display... a visitor centre with cars would be more kid-friendly 

I hate seeing people complain that Lego is so expensive. Most of the time you can get it 20% off, and it’s nowhere near the other prices of other toys. Transformers for example, in 2009 ‘deluxe’ class figures were £10 and stood on average about 7” tall. Now, 9 years later, they are £25 and most are about 5” tall. That’s inflation, Lego has managed to keep their prices pretty much the same for the past 15 years.

You don’t find those kinds of discounts in the US very often. I think LEGO has always been overpriced but I’m used to it. Their cost hasn’t changed that drastically which is nice and a lot of the prices are still predictable based on piece count and size so it’s not not too hard to budget for it 

For me this just isn’t interesting enough to spend $250 on. If it had been a big Jurassic Park setup with different enclosures and different Dino molds (brachiosaurus) then it would be worth the money but this just isn’t. I’m not even sure I would have payed this for a Visitors Center if it didn’t have any new Dinos

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

It’s been almost a week now, and I still can’t believe I am gonna pass on a freaking Jurassic Park D2C set!!!!

the desinger of the set said that a visitor center «  was never even discussed. »     I think a picture of this set will now be illustrating the expression « dropping the ball » in urban dictionnary!

8 hours ago, Maple said:

It’s not a cult, but its not necessary to only criticise. The are aspects of the hobby that I don’t like, the size/price of some sets being one of them. But I don’t think Lego is elitist because of it. I don’t agree with the whole Comic Con figures thing, but just because I can’t acquire them without spending a lot of money or robbing someone doesn’t make me think it’s elitist - it’s exclusive, yes, and the people lucky enough to get them are shills when it comes to the secondary market. This comment was brought to you by a very cynical person.

My two cents; A lot of the negative comments about this set probably comes from the fact that we all got a surprise and was caught off guard :def_shrug:

Last year when we got the huge Hogwarts D2C and most people where hoping and expecting it to be a system-scale set.. Then after building expectations for a long time suddenly the nanofigs leaked and it was very clear it was not a system-scale set with minifigs (yes it has 4 :tongue:). Many were disappointed myself included, but we got time to recover from the shock and some time later the set was revealed and it turned out to be amazing! On top of that we are getting system-scale parts of Hogwarts every year so we can have both :grin:

With this set everybody was expecting it to be a system-scale set most likely the visitor center.. Then after a while minifigs started to leak, who seemed to confirm that this was from the first film and what "everyone" was hoping for and expecting. Then after some time it is revealed and it turns out to be a huge dinosaur and gate no near system scale with the minifigs playing the second fiddle.. If we got a heads up a long time before what to expect like last year I do not think people would be so negative.. It is a great looking set and the dinosaur looks more amazingly well build every-time I see it move in videos. As a stand alone set it will probably sell a lot and I think history will treat it kinder than at its birth :wink: Maybe Lego will make more system-scale sets in the future from the first movie, time will tell :shrug_oh_well:

I keep hearing people saying that people moan about wasting pieces on vehicles in large sets. It depends on context!

in Avengers compound, the vehicles are a waste because they aren’t needed. But remember the classic 60s batcave? I don’t seem to remember anyone moaning about them in that set, because they worked! In this set a vehicle would have worked because it’s iconic and desirable and people would have bought the set just for that, me included.

my 2 cents on the whole ‘it’s because they were expecting a visitor centre’ thing. For a lot of people yeah it probably was that. But I wasn’t expecting a visitor centre set at all, I said it in this thread many times. I just wanted a good Jurassic Park set that encompasses the first movie, and this isn’t that 

14 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

You don’t find those kinds of discounts in the US very often. 

I’ve seen a lot on the internet to suggest otherwise tbh, it seems brickfan post amazon deals every day, and people are always saying they get 20% off in places like Walmart. But oh well

Edited by Whovastron

3 hours ago, Whovastron said:

I’ve seen a lot on the internet to suggest otherwise tbh, it seems brickfan post amazon deals every day, and people are always saying they get 20% off in places like Walmart. But oh well

Walmart usually has a 15% discount on some lego products but they don’t sell D2C sets. Also amazon doesn’t discount D2C sets. Target sells them online but they don’t do any discounts, same with Barnes and Noble

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Walmart usually has a 15% discount on some lego products but they don’t sell D2C sets. Also amazon doesn’t discount D2C sets. Target sells them online but they don’t do any discounts, same with Barnes and Noble

Barnes and Noble actually discounted Betrayal at Cloud City by 20% a few months ago, but it’s very rare to see D2C discounts. 

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The original comment you responded to was about lego in general, not D2C sets; perhaps you should edit you post to clarify.

Anyway, US has probably the best discounts anywhere including on D2C. It was a hell of a lot easier to get discounted D2C when TRU was still around but there are still plenty of opportunities if you’re patient.

I won’t even get into the US clearance scene.

at any rate, whether it’s a discount purchase down the road or a really good lego store promo plus 2x points, I certainly won’t be buying this at MSRP. But I don’t do that anyway.

13 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

The original comment you responded to was about lego in general, not D2C sets; perhaps you should edit you post to clarify.

Anyway, US has probably the best discounts anywhere including on D2C. It was a hell of a lot easier to get discounted D2C when TRU was still around but there are still plenty of opportunities if you’re patient.

I won’t even get into the US clearance scene.

at any rate, whether it’s a discount purchase down the road or a really good lego store promo plus 2x points, I certainly won’t be buying this at MSRP. But I don’t do that anyway.

I don’t know where you’re living, but I don’t get any discounts like that anywhere near me. The best discount I could hope for is 15% and NEVER on D2C sets. And no disrespect intended, but I think my previous comment was perfectly clear, the discussion in general is about this set and price being a factor in not getting it.

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

My biggest take away from LEGO at this point is them kicking to the curb LEGO ideas, this is the second set which they practically pulled an official excuse in regards to make it ok to release this set even though another set similar to this WITH THE FORD EXPLORER was approved to 10,000 and denied.

but seriously I only buy LEGO at Walmart, unless they are exclusives stick to amazon to get those d2c 20% discounts, walmart uses toys as a loss ladder meaning they really do not lose any money from the sales and discounts they offer at all, for example the snowspeeder set from Star Wars is 32.99 versus the 39.99retail price.  I almost bought the toy story four carnival set for 40.00 there thinking it was expensive, then I checked it out on LEGO.com and saw it retails for 49.99

lets not get into clearance, I have bought 150usd sets for 69.99-79.99 price range tops, including the first order star destroyer, the big LEGO Batman batmobile and the Han Solo Millenium falcon but that one went down to 110.

i only go to my local LEGO store when I really really want to get LEGO vip points on sets that Walmart and target carry, ohh my dudes and dudettes, I forgot to mention I live next to a LEGOland and since they are franchised owned the discounts there are even more outrageous.

point being you have to learn to shop around to afford bigger sets, heck I can go to local mom and pop shops and find 4 year old sets still brand new AT retail price!

Edited by eldiano

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

My biggest take away from LEGO at this point is them kicking to the curb LEGO ideas, this is the second set which they practically pulled an official excuse in regards to make it ok to release this set even though another set similar to this WITH THE FORD EXPLORER was approved to 10,000 and denied.

but seriously I only buy LEGO at Walmart, unless they are exclusives stick to amazon to get those d2c 20% discounts, walmart uses toys as a loss ladder meaning they really do not lose any money from the sales and discounts they offer at all, for example the snowspeeder set from Star Wars is 32.99 versus the 39.99retail price.  I almost bought the toy story four carnival set for 40.00 there thinking it was expensive, then I checked it out on LEGO.com and saw it retails for 49.99

lets not get into clearance, I have bought 150usd sets for 69.99-79.99 price range tops, including the first order star destroyer, the big LEGO Batman batmobile and the Han Solo Millenium falcon but that one went down to 110.

i only go to my local LEGO store when I really really want to get LEGO vip points on sets that Walmart and target carry, ohh my dudes and dudettes, I forgot to mention I live next to a LEGOland and since they are franchised owned the discounts there are even more outrageous.

point being you have to learn to shop around to afford bigger sets, heck I can go to local mom and pop shops and find 4 year old sets still brand new AT retail price!

We have, I believe, the European HQ of Google, Facebook and Airbnb, and a 425 (ish) year old university in my city. But we have no Wal-Mart, no Lego Store, no LEGOLAND and no Mom and Pop shops. And very few discounts of any kind. Certainly nothing like the discounts I've seen on holidays in Germany. This is all good I suppose because I save a lot of money by not buying too much Lego...