Anonknee Muss

Jurassic World 2019 - Rumours, Speculation & Discussion

Well, that sucks.

always had a feeling it wouldn’t be the visitor centre. But damn that looks awful. The gates look so inaccurate, the sign is too small, it looks so plain and boring.

the T-Rex is way too big, I know it’s supposed to be a model, but meh, just looks bad.

very bad set, they had a real shot here at doing a definitive set, but nah. Saves me £250 I guess 

Someone at Lego got way too creative and it backfired. I personally was rooting for the main gate, but NOT like this. Was hoping for the inclusion of a Jeep and Explorer. Plus a couple molded dinosaurs to make the iconic scenes ( especially with new Nerdy and Malcom minifigures - “must go faster!”) After seeing this, I guess I’ll have to BrickLink the figs and just make those scenes myself. No way I’m buying this set. Too big, too weird, too ugly, too expensive, too disappointing. 

Lol what is this? Just give the people what they want: the Visitor Center. You already have made several T-Rex. No one asked for this

10 minutes ago, Ultron said:

No one asked for this

Ten thousand people asked for this.

9 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

I think the only reason I voted for it was because I wanted the explorer, and was desperate to get anything Jurassic Park.

Notably, the Visitors Center also had 10,000 supporters.

22 minutes ago, tafkatb said:
35 minutes ago, Ultron said:

No one asked for this

EXACTLY!!! :laugh:

I know, this set is bizarrely tone-deaf, yet cruelly ironic at the same time due to that long-rejected Ideas project from which this set is unmistakably inspired after. To add seeming insult to "injury" though, the biggest major omission the set has in light of the Ideas submission is the greatly-desired JP Explorer... :wacko:

Personally though, I think the set looks pretty freaking awesome if you were to separate it from the branding it sits under and all the cruel irony attached to it. If anything, the brick-built T-rex could've rather been a generic Creator Expert set by itself, more in line with @senteosan's alternate submission to such that also achieved ten-thousand supporters. In a way, it just would've been a hyperbolic Three-In-One Dinosaur set! :shrug_oh_well:

LEGO Ideas - Bricksauria | Tyrannosaurus Rex

Current Submission Image

I’ve just seen higher res pictures of the front and back. I’m even more disappointed. I don’t usually get too upset about these kind of things. But this is just so far off of what the rumors were and what we all really wanted.

It was mentioned that “nobody wanted this/10,000 people wanted this”. I’m pretty sure they were voting for anything Jurassic Park.

in my opinion the only saving grace would have been the inclusion of the JP explorer. But even with TLG LOVE of vehicles, one isn’t included. ..

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I know, this set is bizarrely tone-deaf, yet cruelly ironic at the same time due to that long-rejected Ideas project from which this set is unmistakably inspired after. To add seeming insult to "injury" though, the biggest major omission the set has in light of the Ideas submission is the greatly-desired JP Explorer... :wacko:

Personally though, I think the set looks pretty freaking awesome if you were to separate it from the branding it sits under and all the cruel irony attached to it. If anything, the brick-built T-rex could've rather been a generic Creator Expert set by itself, more in line with @senteosan's alternate submission to such that also achieved ten-thousand supporters. In a way, it just would've been a hyperbolic Three-In-One Dinosaur set! :shrug_oh_well:

LEGO Ideas - Bricksauria | Tyrannosaurus Rex

Well said.  As a standalone, that's a good build.  The majority of the fans wanted classic dinos and more scenes, rightfully so.  They seem kind of tone deaf with a lot of their ideas. 

Oh well.  Maybe we'll get some more classic sets from the Netflix showing coming out or the 3rd Jurassic World movie

Just now, Boettner Builds said:

I’ve just seen higher res pictures of the front and back. I’m even more disappointed. I don’t usually get too upset about these kind of things. But this is just so far off of what the rumors were and what we all really wanted.

It was mentioned that “nobody wanted this/10,000 people wanted this”. I’m pretty sure they were voting for anything Jurassic Park.

in my opinion the only saving grace would have been the inclusion of the JP explorer. But even with TLG LOVE of vehicles, one isn’t included. ..

I think if the set were smaller and included at leat the Jeep Wrangler we wouldn't be seeing this controversy.

Well, I think even if the dino were the Sauropoda instead of another T-Rex people would be loving the set.

3 hours ago, hachiroku said:

Oh, so you have not seen the back of the box, right?

No, I did see it, but what I mean is I'd like a sort of wooden cabin set whose walls can be knocked off easily by the push of a button or something, only to see a scared Gennaro on the throne…

Another idea for a GWP (or other regular sets?) would be the Jeep used by Muldoon to drive off Elie and Malcolm, which then would be an opportunity to get Muldoon. The Ford Explorer could work as a $50 set, I guess — or even better, as a Creator Expert vehicle, just like the James Bond DB5!

I would have settled for an Assault of Hoth kind of approach, with a gate, Nedry's Jeep, the T-Rex enclosure (which would only be two grids…), a goat, a velociraptor, an electricity bunker…

The best approach, though, would have been to make a Visitors Center like a dollhouse, cf. what they did for the Simpsons house.

Edited by essel
Additional idea

8 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I think part of the problem is the gate has at least 4 scenes from the visitor center (Hammond's area, Mr.Arnolds area, Dr. Grant's area, Ian Malcolm's area) but instead there shoved into a gate and a bunch of pieces are used on a T-Rex with a Flintstones dinosaur face.

It doesn't, only the scenes with Hammond and Ray are actually from the Visitors Center. Ian's scene is from the bunker and Grants is from when he finds that the dinosaurs have been breeding in the wild

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely love this set. Ignoring the T-rex build (Which is good in my opinion), I really like that we're getting a properly scaled gate from the park and some figures we probably would never get, even in a Visitor's Centre. I'm kinda disappointed that we're not getting a ford explorer in this set but I can definitely see why. It would probably sell better and be much more well received if we got a ford explorer set with a smaller price tag; which I absolutely see happening in the future.

A lot of people are acting like this is it, but this doesn't mean we're not going to ever get a visitor's Centre, there's Muldoon, other raptors, other outfits and  main lobby builds we still haven't seen yet. I think this is a great set to have as a collector's item.

Just now, Puresh said:

It doesn't, only the scenes with Hammond and Ray are actually from the Visitors Center. Ian's scene is from the bunker and Grants is from when he finds that the dinosaurs have been breeding in the wild

Even then, Ray's one is part of the building we've already got and neither is a massive recognizable part for a visator centre build. They're scenes we've already gotten last year.

I for one love this set. It’s rare that we get a brick built dinosaur that also looks accurate. So many new pieces in new colors, too! I feel like you guys overhyped yourselves and let yourselves down.

Just now, Brick Cucumber said:

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely love this set. Ignoring the T-rex build (Which is good in my opinion), I really like that we're getting a properly scaled gate from the park and some figures we probably would never get, even in a Visitor's Centre. I'm kinda disappointed that we're not getting a ford explorer in this set but I can definitely see why. It would probably sell better and be much more well received if we got a ford explorer set with a smaller price tag; which I absolutely see happening in the future.

A lot of people are acting like this is it, but this doesn't mean we're not going to ever get a visitor's Centre, there's Muldoon, other raptors, other outfits and  main lobby builds we still haven't seen yet. I think this is a great set to have as a collector's item.

Thank you, finally someone who agrees with me.

Yes, pretty much everyone expected the Visitors Center but that doesn't make this set any less amazing. The brick built Rex looks really nice if you ask me and the gate is a great way to have something to display Rexy with. 

I really don't get why so many people are upset about the scenes in the back, some even said they would've preferred a plain, grey backside. Lego was going for a display set but still wanted to include many iconic scenes fans have been wanting for years

Just now, legonerd54321 said:

I for one love this set. It’s rare that we get a brick built dinosaur that also looks accurate. So many new pieces in new colors, too! I feel like you guys overhyped yourselves and let yourselves down.

Yep, I was also hoping for a Visitors Center myself but I didn't expect it, I was open for anything

Just now, Puresh said:

I really don't get why so many people are upset about the scenes in the back, some even said they would've preferred a plain, grey backside. Lego was going for a display set but still wanted to include many iconic scenes fans have been wanting for years

Yep, and having the raptor attack, this is the best place to put those character's in. You can always just remove those bits If you want a plain back.

I also really like that we've gotten a proper gate to display, rather than a small side-build for a Visitor Center. This is undeniably a more iconic structure from the films. I also completely expect they'll do a Visitor Center if this sells well and after they've doe their current wave of Jurassic World sets.

After the initial disappointment yesterday and after seeing the back of the box, I’m honestly a lot happier with this set. It was a big surprise but it’s not a bad set at all. I think I’ll still get it since I love the gate and those little scenes are a really nice touch, and the dinosaur is well designed and seems to have a lot of poseability. Hopefully it’s officially revealed soon so we can get better looks at everything and an official price. 

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

One main difference though is how Senteosan's project was close to minifig scale, which this set isn't. I would be all for a brickbuilt T-Rex but this official one is just so incredibly large I just can't really do anything with it. Its a really nice set but it doesn't fit in with anything lego has already produced.

2 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I also completely expect they'll do a Visitor Center if this sells well and after they've doe their current wave of Jurassic World sets.

I really hope you're right, but this sentiment has greatly backfired when it comes to lego. The best example for this would be Marvel, if enough people buy the (pretty lackluster) sets there is a chance lego will up the budget and give more detailed figures for instance. But the sets themselves are just so bad a lot of people aren't interested in them, even when the theme itself has loads of potential. 

The thing that gets to me is the logo on the gate, why is it so damn small? Also the gate is way too ‘studded’. Sounds like a pathetic critique I know, but I feel flat surfaces need to have a good balance of studs and flat when replicated in Lego, this one doesn’t really do it for me. Also the shape is off, the side parts should get smaller near the top, creating a sort of ledge, but that’s absent here.

Edited by Whovastron

Just now, Whovastron said:

The thing that gets to me is the logo on the gate, why is it so damn small?

I thought about that for a while too. I think it's because they couldn't have used bigger plates with stickers because the corners of them would've bled over the edge of the arch. If they were to build the rough shape of the text beforehand, we couldn't sticker it as it would go over multiple pieces

2 hours ago, Whovastron said:

The thing that gets to me is the logo on the gate, why is it so damn small? Also the gate is way too ‘studded’. Sounds like a pathetic critique I know, but I feel flat surfaces need to have a good balance of studs and flat when replicated in Lego, this one doesn’t really do it for me. Also the shape is off, the side parts should get smaller near the top, creating a sort of ledge, but that’s absent here.

I completely agree on the studs.  It was all I could see when I first saw the pic.   

Quoting myself from another forum: I’m going to stop griping about if after this post, but it seems like they really missed what fans wanted/ the spirit of the submissions.  The rex and the gates have no relationship to one another. Rex and fence? Sure. Gate and Explorer? Sure. Then, if you’re going to brickbuild a dinosaur, why not a sauropod and recreate the opening island scene? (Someone else said similar above).  We don’t have molds for those. Yes, there was a set on ideas with a brick built rex, but importantly, it included the explorer. People weren’t voting for that set because of the content as much as the IP and they left out the part people (I don’t think I’m reaching) arguably most wanted. Rex and Explorer? Not as much griping. Gate and Explorer, not any griping. Rex and Gate? WTF.  

It is all the more frustrating because it would seem to at least delay or prevent the release of a set with the things people *were* hoping for. I suppose the Jeep or Explorer could come out as a set or part of one, but I felt a D2C was more likely to do them best.

Well I'm hoping the exclusion of the Explorer and Jeep means we'll get one or both in a medium sized normal retail set. Which if that happens I'll be happy, I was not going to buy a huge D2C anyway but if I can get either vehicle in a reasonably affordable set I would. 

13 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Oh, is that what this is supposed to be descendent from...? This is still a huge misfire for Lego, regardless. Just goes to show given that they have to shove the iconic scenes from the film into the back of the set instead of literally just making them into sets. They whiffed it with this just like they did with LotR and Orthanc. Make the stuff that will sell better first so your line doesn't tank before you get around to making the stuff that will sell..

14 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Ten thousand didn't ask for this, that was for the Ideas submission. Voting isn't indicative of wanting said project, there's a plethora of reasons.

3 hours ago, Captain America said:

Ten thousand didn't ask for this, that was for the Ideas submission. Voting isn't indicative of wanting said project, there's a plethora of reasons.

I mean, voting on ideas is exactly indicative of wanting the set...that’s why they do it. But still, this isn’t the set 10000 people asked for. They asked for a more accurate representation of the gates (although the size on this is good) and the explorer and Rexy, not just Rexy

also, minor gripe, but the Jurassic World logo being on the display stand rather than jurassic park is a tad annoying