Sign in to follow this  
Aventador2004

(Ideas Contest) Volvo HL550 - (Heavy Lift Crawler)

Contest

This is a futuristic idea for a new type of Volvo machinery, as an idea for the Lego ideas contest linked above.

• Boom lift, (2x11 cylinders)
  • Fork tilt, (Worm Gear)
  • Cabin, (With steering wheel)
  • Pump, (Need to buy larger)
  • Tracks, (Area to roll over bumps)

Simple as possible, but conveys the message. Also is pneumatic. 

Need the ultimate in lifting and compact travel? The Volvo* HL550 is the machine for you!

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Have a great day!

*The Volvo company does not endorse, licence, or have this vehicle.

Interesting concept. I find it weird that you didn't take the autonomous route (I figured autonomous vehicles would be more futuristic and thus fitting to the contest - it's what I'm doing.) Good luck!

17 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Interesting concept. I find it weird that you didn't take the autonomous route (I figured autonomous vehicles would be more futuristic and thus fitting to the contest - it's what I'm doing.) Good luck!

I personally think autonomous vehicles are still far in the future, so I used the manual idea. Also will point out @pagicence has entered too.

Good luck!

26 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

I personally think autonomous vehicles are still far in the future, so I used the manual idea.

Autonomous arent a futuristic thing, they are in the now.  Don't just look at cars, but Case IH has a working autonomous concept tractor.  

Either way, your build looks good, but with 22 days let for building, you have time to improve before a quick submission.  

47 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Autonomous arent a futuristic thing, they are in the now.  Don't just look at cars, but Case IH has a working autonomous concept tractor.  

Either way, your build looks good, but with 22 days let for building, you have time to improve before a quick submission.  

Point taken. Though yes this isn't complete yet.

I like this machine, :wub:the only criticism is that in my opinion the structure is extremely solid (tracks and pneumatic system) to lift forks a bit small and disproportionate compared to the rest of the model ...but I've to say that I'm not an expert in heavy handling vehicles :look:

Good work! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Great concept it is very difficult to see new ideas in machinery even in the real machinery as well.

Yes, even as normal-ish vehicles like 42081 can be renewed.

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I like this machine, :wub:the only criticism is that in my opinion the structure is extremely solid (tracks and pneumatic system) to lift forks a bit small and disproportionate compared to the rest of the model ...but I've to say that I'm not an expert in heavy handling vehicles :look:

Good work! :thumbup:

Thanks for the criticism, maybe I will find better forks, or change to a bucket.

Looking at this as an engineering student in college, I will give you some questions to think about.  

Think about what the design goals are.  Are you trying to make an existing machine better or completely design a new machine type?  To me, it looks like a skid steer.   

If it is a new machine with everything being unique, awesome!

If it is a revamp of an existing machine, think about different parts of the machine you want to make better or just redesign.  So comparing it to a skid steer, your model puts the cab in front of the tracks and lower to the ground, is this an upgrade to the machine?  If so how?  Maybe figure out a way to increase lift capacity or even lifting height for your machine.  Newer skid loaders, the JCB teleskid comes to mind.  

I am probably over thinking all of this, but when it comes to presentation, you need to stand out from the crowd to be seen.  Having small details and knowledge of your machine is key.  

Good luck to you.

14 hours ago, aminnich said:

1. Think about what the design goals are.  Are you trying to make an existing machine better or completely design a new machine type?  To me, it looks like a skid steer.   

2. If it is a revamp of an existing machine, think about different parts of the machine you want to make better or just redesign.  So comparing it to a skid steer, your model puts the cab in front of the tracks and lower to the ground, is this an upgrade to the machine?  If so how?  Maybe figure out a way to increase lift capacity or even lifting height for your machine.  Newer skid loaders, the JCB teleskid comes to mind.  

Good points, here are my ideas:

1. It is a Larger (by perspective) machine than a skid steer, so definitely a redesign to be larger. On the other hand, it has the characteristics and same uses or more.

2. The cab closer to the ground lower to the ground is better for seeing when driving, but not when loading, A Fix: Lifting cab maybe. The length of the arm can be increased, but I don't have room for extension. That is a good reference. 

Thanks for help!

Interesting overall shape, but you've placed the driver in a very dangerous position - right below the lifted weight. :oh3:

27 minutes ago, sheo said:

Interesting overall shape, but you've placed the driver in a very dangerous position - right below the lifted weight. :oh3:

Working on that. Need to make the arm better.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:55 AM, Aventador2004 said:
On 9/27/2018 at 12:25 AM, sheo said:

Working on that. Need to make the arm better.

Maybe you could move the pneumatic controls to the rear of the vehicle, and have the driver's cabin take it's place? From what I can see, you should have room to move the cabin back 4-5 studs.

How big are the loads you're expecting this machine to lift, compared to the weight of the machine? The lifted weight is always well forward of the front of the tracks, so the back had better be damn heavy if you don't want it to tip over. Even so, that's a large amount of force on the (relatively small) front sprockets.

Also, you say that the tracks are to "roll over bumps", but bumps imply that this will be used off-road, where you're unlikely to find a nice level spot to set up your lifter. I expect a forked lifter like this won't like not being level.

Well, my account on lego ideas won't activate, so for now I am stuck just building here. One of the people awnsered, but left now.

Thank you all for suggestions.