Sign in to follow this  
Lbcwanabe

WiP MOC Minifig Scale Resistance Bomber

I’ve been working on this for a little while now. Input welcome & thanks for looking

1GNTuXl.jpg

KKIxJOC.jpg

Edited by Lbcwanabe

Looking good so far, but the front canopy part has to be..well, rounder. It looks to me as if the bottom "handle" part, (or whaddayacallit) might be a few studs longer than it should be, no?

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I hope it helps.

You are headed for a costly disaster.

MV5BNjA1MjQ1MzgyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjc5

The construction you have right now is greatly simplified and has many serious errors compared to the source material. I can help you outline them if you wish.

Normally, LEGO being an imperfect medium, it would absolutely be not a problem. In such a big scale, however, making it much more movie-alike is entirely possible and as such will trigger questions, why was it not done so. I strongly recommend returning to square one before you invest more time and money at current stage. Remaking a prototype is nothing bad and I, too, did this in almost every big build I have done. In case of the star destroyer, it went from "seemingly almost done" state to bare frame because angle was wrong. It added a month of total build time, but fixed an error which would not be possible to cover otherwise.

Edited by Jerac

Thanks for the feedback. Jerac-could you recommend a piece that would give me a better base for the cockpit area?also, what specifically would you do over? Thanks for the input !

Edited by Lbcwanabe

^ I am sure Jerac will go over this better. My super quick two cents to give you something to consider:

1) Get yourself a good reference. I find that over at DevianArt, people share amazing images of very high quality 3d models of... nearly anything you can wish.

slayn_and_korpil_mg_100_starfortress_sf_

2) Pick a suitable scale for some major feature and design the rest to MATCH this element. If I were to do it here, I would possibly select the 'dish' on the front of the cockpit section, which really screams for using one of the lego dishes (or round plates, whatever...) so you have an instant choice of the diameter - 4 studs? Seems too small for your scale. 6 studs? could be great compromise. 8 studs? If you want to build a beast.

To give you my answer to the question about a cockpit, there is no such piece. You could theoretically use the cone cockpit from the new UCS MF but it just doesn't have the right taper. I would brick build it. It's big enough for you to be able to do so.

To me, this seems like a very MOCable model, although the ginormous scale you decided to work in doesn't necessarily make it easier. As Jerac said, the bigger you go, the less tolerable are any possible discrepancies in accuracy. I'd still say it is well doable with the most challenging part being probably the slowly tapering conical shape of the back of the hull.

Good luck!

Edited by krisandkris12

The top hull of the ship is a series of cylinders or truncated cones. This is the technique you need to master. Your current ship's hull crossection is a rectangle with some curved slopes attached to make it rounder. In this scale it just won't work. You need to make a circular cross-section, and actually plenty of them, and try to think this way. Maybe examine LEGO Saturn-V set, it is excellent source of ideas and its first stage might be used for your fuselage. It will be a bit smaller, but maybe you can expand on saturn-v idea? There is even that place where Saturn-V rocket gets thinner and it tapers nicely to this new narrower diameter, you can very well reuse this in the bomber. 

Cockpit will be hardest. There is no single part for it. Again I'd look at the Saturn's tapering part for reference and try working with that by adding windows where necessary. 

When you will have the cylindrical and conical sections of the ship done, you can get for comparatively easier bombing section and finally wings, gunner pods, detailing, engines, greebles and such. 

Normally I don't recommend using 3D models for scaling, because whoever made the model might have done it wrong and thus you would have both his and yours errors, but in this case I think it is good enough. 
mg_100_starfortress_resistance_bomber_sc
That seems to be a nice image as you have shots from all major directions and you can take measurements from these.

Use http://scaler.sariel.pl/ tool for determining scaling of each section. For example. if you determine that hull's diameter should be 10 studs, then total length of the ship excluding cannons would be 58 studs, and beginning of cockpit cone should be 7, tapering to 4:

h9P8Ynu.png

(I used 100 instead of 10 for extra precision but the rule is the same).

I think, however, you should master small scale first and then go to big scale. As krisandkris12 said, bigger scale is WAY harder than small scale.