phaelon

Which UCS sets to keep and which to sell?

All,

I'm having a mid-life crisis of sorts. I have almost all the Star Wars UCS sets since they started in 2000. Each one I have opened and built, so I could enjoy the set and the Lego building experience each one represented. After that, I would take them apart, storing all the pieces in zip lock bags. I never applied any stickers, so I would put those in with the instructions on a cardboard backing with some silica packs. Then the entire box was wrapped in saran wrap and placed in a closet for storage. As such they are in excellent condition considering their age - they only show mild shelf wear.

However, I am contemplating selling the bulk of my these sets in order to finance some MOCs that are, imo, better than the stock lego sets.

Specifically, I'm wanting to build the ISD Aggressor and Constrictor II by @Raskolnikov, the Executor Star Dreadnought by @onecase, and several CR-90 Corvettes and GR-75 Transports by @mortesv to go along with my Nebulon B.

Some of my sets I have promised to my children (7181, 7191, 10175, 75060), and some I will never part with (10026, 10179).

Sets I'm willing to let go of: 10030, 10129, 10134, 10143, 10144, 10174, 10178, 10212, 10215, 10221, 10225, 10227, 10240, 75059, 75095.

I also have 10019, but I'm on the fence about selling it. The Mortesv version is designed to scale with his Nebulon B, so it is considerably smaller. And although #10019 is not very screen accurate, it is a quintessential UCS set - detailed and delicate.

So I'm trying to solicit opinions from other collectors and MOC designers on here about where I should sell, what I should sell, and what I should keep. I don't have a high enough post count to create a poll, but I do appreciate your feedback.

Oh, and I'm in the U.S.

4 hours ago, phaelon said:

Sets I'm willing to let go of: 10030, 10129, 10134, 10143, 10144, 10174, 10178, 10212, 10215, 10221, 10225, 10227, 10240, 75059, 75095.

10030, rumor has it, an ISD will be released next year, maybe May the 4th? Maybe sell this and buy the new?

10129, is an old model with a re-release. Let it go and get the new. I didn't see 75144 on the list>

10134, is an old model with a re-release. Let it go and get the new.

10143, horrible model! Sell it, don't worry about. 

10144, old model, horrible. There is a way better new model. Let it go and get the new. 

10174, keep it. Great model, it has some flaws, but, I think it still looks good. Even for being 12 years old. 

10178, never liked the way it looked. Sell!

10212, great model, keep it!!

10215, cool little model, I'm 50/ 50 on this one?!

10221, great model, I would keep it. 

10225, I would keep this one too, especially if you have BB-8. I think they pair well together. 

10227, keep it, It's not perfect, but, I like this model. 

10240, you already have an X-Wing, or your kids do? This is one up to you. 

75059, keep it. Unless you want to build Cavegod's Sandcrawler. Than use it for parts. 

75095, I would keep this. It looks good when displayed next Vader TIE and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Interceptor and TIE Bomber down the rod. Having all 4 dispaly on a shelf would cool.

Just my opinions, Jamie

Keep the ones you want. Sell the ones you don't. 

If you're feeling this way then don't get precious over things. If you're not getting anything from owning something then move it on. I was in a state of habitual collecting and then re-evaluated things. I don't miss anything I've sold.

And I wouldn't worry about things you've promised your kids. By the time it comes to hand then down they may have moved on and be interested in something else.

Thanks guys.This has been helpful so far, with @jamie75 taking the lead for detail. @Robianco I agree that about 50 - 60% of these sets are really not enjoyable to me to own, and many of the ones that are have much better MOCs that I can bricklink.

And the more I look at 75192 the more I'm wondering if selling 10179 might make sense? I know the differences are largely aesthetic, but that cockpit...

Seems like the consensus is to get 10030 out the door ASAP. That being the case, is fleebay my best bet, despite all the fees? I just don't know how much traffic the dedicated sites like brickpicker, bricklink, brickowl, etc receive.

Edited by phaelon

1 hour ago, phaelon said:

Thanks guys.This has been helpful so far, with @jamie75 taking the lead for detail. @Robianco I agree that about 50 - 60% of these sets are really not enjoyable to me to own, and many of the ones that are have much better MOCs that I can bricklink.

And the more I look at 75192 the more I'm wondering if selling 10179 might make sense? I know the differences are largely aesthetic, but that cockpit...

Seems like the consensus is to get 10030 out the door ASAP. That being the case, is fleebay my best bet, despite all the fees? I just don't know how much traffic the dedicated sites like brickpicker, bricklink, brickowl, etc receive.

I would try locally on craigslist, facebook marketplace and the like.  Put them on the legomarket Reddit also.

4 hours ago, phaelon said:

There are plenty of FB groups as OCD-Chad mentions. You can still arrange through Paypal and those things are quite well regulated by mods so they've always felt like relatively safe places to buy and sell through. 10030 is a big ticket set though. I'm sure you'll have interest in it. Just make sure you do your research on pricing from BrickLink and eBay beforehand so you know the pricing is right on it. You could always post it in the B/S/T part of this site also.

And yeah... 75192 cockpit really does take it up a notch. :)

I would keep the Shuttle for sure, and I personally love 10019 so I would never sell mine.  It's like owning a vintage corvette.  Sure it's not as fast or aggressive looking as a C7, but its got style ;)

Rasko's ATAT is leaps and bounds better than 10178 and is very affordable.  If you're building Oncecase's Executor (which is a stunning model) you might as well scrap 10221 which is horrifically inaccurate.  As for 10030, I'll be the lone dissent.  I considered selling it after building the Aggressor, but instead just ended up making lots of modifications and now I have the makings of an imperial fleet.  If display space is an issue,  that could be a factor. 

I was never a fan of any of the small star ship models like the snow speeder, x wing, tie etc. as I prefer minifig scale and I think there are better minifig versions out there than the actual UCS ones.  Slave I being the lone exception. Jerac's Ties are great.  Jerac/Inthert's x-wing is the definitive x-wing.  A few great y-wings out there; I love Brickwright's.  Anothergol's ATST is excellent.  Renegade's b-wing, Jerac's a-wing, Lildime's snowspeeder, etc.  Lots of options. 

Edited by Schneeds

I was hoping you would comment @Schneeds. You're one of the few on here who has had the privilege of owning the UCS sets AND building the corresponding MOCs I'm looking at.

I was never impressed with 10178 or 10221, and it's easy for me to decide to sell those. I already have a tentative sale on 10030, and honestly I can't fathom where I would put 2 ISDs. As it is I will have to convince SWMBO to let me put it in a custom coffee table. I'd love to see how you are going to display multiple 3 foot ISDs! :)

And given that the Aggressor is so heavy, and how you never see a star destroyer in motion at a sharp angle, I don't think I could pull off the near vertical display stand that is available for 10179 / 75192. That's just pure Han / Lando swagger.

Regarding 10179, both my wife and my 8 year old said 75192 looks better. But the 12 year old says 10179 "looks like Lego". In a sense, he's agreeing with you about 10019 and the C7 metaphor. The good news is I won't have to decide until they choose to retire 75192.

I have @anothergol's AT-ST v2.1 parts and plans, but he keeps updating the damn thing! I have my eyes on @Raskolnikov's AT-AT, but @LiLmeFromDaFuture is getting close to showing us the AT-AT he's been working on for at least 6 years now. And @jhaelego has that incredible (though non-articulating) AT-AT as well.

Thanks for listing the other small ship MOCs. I honestly hadn't looked too far into those designs yet because I've been so focused on capital ships. Now I have some more MOCs to add to my list. :)

Edited by phaelon

So 10030 is on its way to a new owner. I am now committed to @Raskolnikov's Aggressor because I cannot be without an ISD in my collection.

I think 10143 and 10221 will be the next victims.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice. It's been very helpful in my decision making.

Edited by phaelon

20 hours ago, phaelon said:

I have @anothergol's AT-ST v2.1 parts and plans, but he keeps updating the damn thing!

v2.5 is there to stay for a while, though. Be glad you already got LBG scala dishes because apparently these have become rare :)

21 hours ago, phaelon said:

@LiLmeFromDaFuture is getting close to showing us the AT-AT he's been working on for at least 6 years now.

Close for sure!  That period of updating one thing after the other, and another, over and over has slowed down these last few months.  Then comes testing the design and build process, which I look forward to exploring more openly!

13 hours ago, anothergol said:

v2.5 is there to stay for a while, though. Be glad you already got LBG scala dishes because apparently these have become rare :)

Good to know. And thanks for all your hard work on it!

12 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Close for sure!  That period of updating one thing after the other, and another, over and over has slowed down these last few months.  Then comes testing the design and build process, which I look forward to exploring more openly!

Looking forward to your reveal! Hopefully all the parts you used are still available if you decide to sell instructions. :)

17 minutes ago, phaelon said:

Looking forward to your reveal! Hopefully all the parts you used are still available if you decide to sell instructions. :)

I certainly plan to!  For a MOC, using parts in colors readily available and currently in production was a fundamental focus in the design process, so to reproduce it would be relatively easy.