Just now, kbalage said:

Congrats guys, this is a very cool setup! Well worth all the effort that went into the planning and building. I'd love to see/read more about the modules and the whole process, hope there'll be more information shared.

To be honest the only thing that bugs me is the quality of the video - you guys spent 650 hours designing-building-setting things up then someone with a shaky mobile phone walks around and records it? This setup would deserve a proper video with a stabilized camera and some better angels... but probably that's just me.

There's one on their facebook page which contains multiple angles for most of the non-42082 modules. That one seems properly shot, for the most part.

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

To be honest the only thing that bugs me is the quality of the video - you guys spent 650 hours designing-building-setting things up then someone with a shaky mobile phone walks around and records it? This setup would deserve a proper video with a stabilized camera and some better angles... but probably that's just me.

We had a professional team hired by TLG to film that (and from what I have understood, they regularly work with TLG when filming is required), and we were using a professional studio.

Honnestly, the filming team and the studio both had stuff that probably none of us here have or could ever afford. O_o

They were also very nice and professional.

If you think the video is shaky, that's is because it is accelerated.

Also, keep in mind that the cameraman had to be able to move quickly as the machine goes fast sometimes. Not to mention that, for obvious reasons, the cameraman could NOT touch anything when filming. It was also not possible to use a cart to have a more steady movement (not enough room between the cranes, too difficult to move quickly when necessary).

3 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

There's one on their facebook page which contains multiple angles for most of the non-42082 modules. That one seems properly shot, for the most part.

Just checked that video of Facebook, it has much nicer clips.

@Anio - during the uncut walkaround footage where the camera follows the action (even the non-accelerated parts) the camera shakes around constantly, you can also clearly see how the cameraman was walking around. Maybe it was left like this intentionally to show the viewers where it was accelerated and I have no doubt that it was filmed by a professional crew with an expensive equipment, still that footage has an unprofessional look for me. I was curious so I quickly edited the video with some simple software stabilization and rendered the two clips side by side, the difference is very visible and the stabilized footage has a much smoother look.

Anyway, all of this is my personal visual taste and has nothing to do with the great achievement you made with all these cranes so I stop being off-topic, again very well done! :thumbup:

You had a lot of fun there! :sweet: thank you

Nice. It's fun to get to do some marketing work for LEGO.  Did you guys get the keep the cranes afterwards?   :pir-classic:

On 10/14/2018 at 1:21 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

That was 100% not what I was expecting. It was wayyyyy cooler! I wonder how many hours were spent aligning the cranes correctly?

The same to me. Expectations were greater than the reality.

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

I meant the opposite to what you are saying... :grin:

I thought the result was cooler than what I was expecting.

@nico71 @Anio Congratulations! Looks like a very cool project, and better than the Honda advertisement - I mean some sub-parts are mechanically complex enough and would deserve a stand-alone introduction.

A question though: You say there is no RC part in the builds, but honestly I have hard times to figure out how the superstructure rotations at 0:43-0:52 were realized... especially at the first one there is a visible stop before it is turning further. So a detailed line tour with presentation of all the sub-parts and their working would be super interesting! :wink:

Edited by agrof

Look this one. There are a few seconds on the superstructure rotation mechanism.

Hello all, this is my first post on eurobricks, I’m Alban and some of you knew me via my youtube or blogotechnic. It is the past and I had a second dark age from 2011 to 2018.

This year Maxime and Nicolas called me to complete the project team.

For sure we are sorry because this movie does not show our work as we expected. This is the price to have the opportunity of the LEGO facebook and more than 100K views during the week-end.

There is no cheating during the unique long take. It is a one shoot sequence… and you can imagine that we had to replay and set up a lot of time before having a full sequence without any fail.

The 3 rotating cranes are my MODs and there is a gap between the motor axe and the battery box switch. I put two gear shifter rings and 2 red 16T to generate some gap. This was because I don’t want to force the motor. This is limiting the effort on the arm to start the movement.

I the real world the machine is running during 2 minutes. The LEGO movie is breaking the natural’s movements.

LEGO asked us to make a consequent “goldberg machine” with a “wow” effect; they sent us as example the Honda advert. The objective was to promote the Crane and they insist to see a lot of cranes on the movie. Otherwise we were totally free in the project and modules ideas.

Due to my LEGO black out during 7 years, I discover the big turntable ¼ circles the first time in March when opening the lego bags. Immediately I wanted to create a hamster wheel with this “new” part.

We will send some other movies of the tests by we have not a lot during the making of in the studio because we had to keep out the camera range.

18 hours ago, Aleh said:

Expecations of your feedback was greater than your real emotions. That was not your birthday present project. Go and do better :wink:

image.png.116c3fc8b0a1f2d846efdafd2548e1f7.png

1 hour ago, rm8 said:

Expecations of your feedback was greater than your real emotions. That was not your birthday present project. Go and do better :wink:

wtf? From what point of time this forum prohibite critics?

From what time before to critic somebody's MOC it's strongly required to build own at least not worse one?

If you disagree - I don't care. Feel free to post your own opinion. But do not argue with mine.

I'm pretty sure @nico71 is not in kindergarden already and he is ready that not all in AFOL community will like his MOC. The same to any mine or other's MOCs.

With respect and kindest regards,

Aleh

2 hours ago, Aleh said:

wtf? From what point of time this forum prohibite critics?

From what time before to critic somebody's MOC it's strongly required to build own at least not worse one?

If you disagree - I don't care. Feel free to post your own opinion. But do not argue with mine.

I'm pretty sure @nico71 is not in kindergarden already and he is ready that not all in AFOL community will like his MOC. The same to any mine or other's MOCs.

With respect and kindest regards,

Aleh

You should know hidden rules, material and time limit, before expectate something from such first-time ever project sponsored by LEGO. I am more than sure that that was pure volunteer work. IMHO better be more respectful or say nothing at all like there is no internet wall between you and people, because your subjective critics is absolutely non-objective "I don't like it because they promised  something BIG that I will like (or not?), and I dont care how it works and how hard it was".

For example, If you say "video presentation is poor, we don't see building, setup progress, and closeups of working mechanics" - i can agree, and this is more objective. Critics should be constructive and leave place for peaceful dialog.

If someone say me "you do s@%t", I can tell him from eye to eye in the same language from "So, in that case what are you looking here?" to  "I don't care what you think" - rude, but fair.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, Anio said:

I

Haha.

FYI, this video came in the discussion with Lego when we were talking about what could/should be done.

I am more than sure, that was Nico's idea...or there is one more Honda-head in French community:laugh:

@rm8 You go wrong all the way. You composed own rule to write only positive comments. Furthermore I wrote nowhere that MOC is bad or sth like that. Just not my cup of tea. It's bad to hide that moc can dissapoint fans.

A few words about the studio... A large room (more than 15m x 15m) with large white mat reflectors. 4x 12KW tungsten lights (one light use as power as my house with all the heaters on). All the lights were indirect and the walls and floor were white matt with rounded edges. In the middle you can see sometimes the 7m turntable used for cars and trucks films. The light is perfect without any reflection or shadow. 

It was impressive but necessary for this large creation.

DSC09883.jpg

8 minutes ago, Alban428 said:

It was impressive but necessary for this large creation.

Impressive, no doubt! How many times did you guys run the contraption in total (for the video)? Was it a one-take wonder?

Wow! In the ceiling is there any kind of mirror? As I can understand light goes from lights to this "mirror" and after that reflects to the exposition?

1 hour ago, Alban428 said:

Yes but it is not exactly a mirror, just a white panel.

I meant a some stuff or yes, a panel, which implements mirror's functions. Thanks for explanation!

I will add some other photos of the construction and Nicolas is preparing some movies.

I have theses photos of the design of the hamster and the cranes which run straight and stop. This is not exactly the final design.

DSC09164.jpg

As you can see, I had to double the circles on each side to have a more rigid structure. The alignement of the hamster in the cage is done with some thin 20T gears. 

DSC09167.jpg

The first idea was to clim a ramp and fall on the small truck but the problem was that the truck is going backward. For this reason I decide to create a rack ramp.

DSC09169.jpg

This first hamster will never run himself on the floor... then I created a second hamster for free run (the first one in LEGO movie, unfortulately it is accelerated).

This is the first version of the MOD crane chassis. I had totally removed all the mechanism and the chassis is very simple. It respect the original size. In the final version, the battery box is in the up part of the crane.

DSC09178.jpg

DSC09183.jpg

The visibles parts of the crane are added to my chassis. 

DSC09190.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Alban428

5 hours ago, Alban428 said:

DSC09164.jpg

I like this vehicle, reminds me a bit of this Thunderbirds recovery vehicle:

thunderbirds-recovery-vehicle-grp-model-

I might build a spin-off of your creation with some functions added.