On 9/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, Aleh said:

Can we but IT or BI?

Sorry, not understand the question :)

13 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Buy it or get building instructions.  Is what he meant.

Neither of the two, you can see this project like the Bugatti one (in different of courser) ;-)

5 hours ago, nico71 said:

Neither of the two, you can see this project like the Bugatti one (in different of courser) ;-)

Understood. Thanks 

19 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Buy it or get building instructions.  Is what he meant.

Right!

Edited by Aleh

On 10/1/2018 at 10:55 AM, nico71 said:

So when you say it is like the Bugatti - does it mean this model will be 1:1 real life sized? It's already October and I am patiently waiting to see an update on this thread. 

That was 100% not what I was expecting. It was wayyyyy cooler! I wonder how many hours were spent aligning the cranes correctly?

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Really cool and fascinating! Also not at all what I had expected. Very curious to learn more about the process and steps involved. Is it purely mechanical or were certain steps like the swaying of the arms piloted from a distance through remotes? The movement sometimes seems slow and then suddenly to speed up. Hence my question. I would guess it is purely mechanical ... Then, how many trials did you have to shoot to get the final result? Congratulations anyway for TLG for involving you in this great way of promoting Lego Technic. Also a recognition of the talent of the French Lego Technic community.

Clearly, it was possible to build the impossible. Despite the click-bait topic name I find this contraption quite cool! Since the video has now surfaced I wish to see more explanation how such idea came into mind, what it took to implement this, etc. Basically everything in the background.

Didn't like the fact few of the models have been used just for moving, especially the part with three of them in sequence.

Reminds me a bit of the Honda “Cog” advert from a few years back.

Id be interested to know how you got the mechanisms to move too

That looked really satisfying, but was there any real reason to speed things up?

Looks like you were aiming for something else, but then deadlines came in and you had to do it faster - fit in 1 minute*oh2*

Edited by gate

3 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

piloted from a distance through remotes

I would say they were... doesn't look 'fire and forget', which spoils it a bit for me. 

Hello, 

first of all many thank for your words, we are happy that you like it. To answer to some questions, the idea was to build an contraption machine using 25 cranes. All modules/ movement are driven either by gravity or motor, and all module starts an other module step by step. There is not remote control. So yes we have made many try to obtain a cool layout and nice finish with the trebuchet. The 650h is the total hours to build, assemble, test, rebuild, set up and so on. Each crane take 12hours to build, + modifications (like motorised function, triggers and so on). Some other module take more time to create. But I think we take 80% to build and 20% to set up.

Regarding the video, lego technic has published a one shot video on youtube, with some speed up in it, and other video which show a bit more about the module and trigger :

https://www.facebook.com/LEGOTechnic/

I plan to make some video about the building and how it works, especially my module. But feel free to ask for questions :)

4 hours ago, zux said:

Didn't like the fact few of the models have been used just for moving, especially the part with three of them in sequence.

In the briefing, we were told that several 42082 had to be clearly visible. Both to see that the machine is made out of 42082 sets and to promote the product.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Reminds me a bit of the Honda “Cog” advert from a few years back.

Haha.

FYI, this video came in the discussion with Lego when we were talking about what could/should be done.

1 hour ago, gate said:

Looks like you were aiming for something else, but then deadlines came in and you had to do it faster - fit in 1 minute*oh2*

If I remember correctly, the whole machine "lasts" a bit more than 2 minutes. That is what the team was told to do.

In the end I suppose they shortened the thing because :

- sometimes, the machine does the same thing for several seconds (when the cabins drive on rack for example, at the beginning), which is ok and necessary technically, but doesn't add much in a video, so to speak. I mean if this last 8 seconds, you probably have enough if you look at it for 4 seconds

- it can be hard to catch people attention for more than 2 minutes on youtube and social networks. This video is for everyone, not only AFOLs. Probably many people will watch this when they wait the bus after work or something similar. So a shorter and more dense video makes sense.

I was expecting one really huge working model of some sorts, but this contraption is really cool. I love those kind of things.

• Awesome! I love Rube Goldberg contraptions. Certainly not what I was expecting with the Tagline "Build the Impossible" but very cool!

Congrats guys, this is a very cool setup! Well worth all the effort that went into the planning and building. I'd love to see/read more about the modules and the whole process, hope there'll be more information shared.

To be honest the only thing that bugs me is the quality of the video - you guys spent 650 hours designing-building-setting things up then someone with a shaky mobile phone walks around and records it? This setup would deserve a proper video with a stabilized camera and some better angles... but probably that's just me.