Selander

MOC Tank engine locomotive - Knapsack style

43915368185_450d9b7c52_b_d.jpg

This MOC Tank Engine is inspired by the german Knapsack but it is not a scale model….
It is my very first MOC steam Engine, and I focused on the estetics…. hence no motor nor advanced connecting rods with brake cylinders etc....
To accompany these tank Engines I present two concept motorized wagons, with PF and PuP respectively.

Please let me know what you think.

30954215498_2baf6a7dc7_b_d.jpg30954216638_1b164381e2_b_d.jpg

30954216098_323df76ec7_b_d.jpg

You know I have a soft spot for the Knapsack, so it's definitely a "thumbs up" :thumbup:!
And then already two of them... :wub:
The solution for the side tanks, with SNOT-ted tiles covering the flanges, is ingenious!

However, two things strike me: First, the wheels seem to be a bit large for a shunting engine. Did you try smaller ones?
Second, why are the edges of the rear bunker missing? Looks like a severe shunting accident... :laugh:

Thanks for an expert review ? Yepp wheels are big, but I wanted to use these Lego originals since they are so beautiful....and as pointed out it is not an scale modell, but simply what I found pleasing for the eye. Same with bunker design....however I will try adding an additional inverted slope at each end an see what I think. Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated.

I'm impressed by your creations Selander, and also this new one is lovely! :wub:

I find the rear wagon very clever, it's amazing the skilful way you've hide the PF components :thumbup: ...but I have one question: why is powered also the PF motor on the wagon?

Lovely train - you always seem to have a very aesthetically pleasing look to your builds which have been an inspiration for my own work in a long time ?

A pair of smart little shunters! For a first attempt they're beautiful. I agree that the wheels could be smaller, but that would require 3rd party parts. The other suggestion I have is to add more pipework and greebling around the boilers, although I'm not quite sure what, where or how.
Finally, I wonder if you could fit the pair of PF LEDs into the front of the loco, with the wire connected to the other receiver terminal? I like the PF wagon that barely conceals the "load" though, it works well. Overall, a great job.

I love how the PF components are "hidden" in plain sight! Such a cool "load" for that open wagon!

Look at that beautiful pair, excellent work. And then that flatcar is utterly brilliant with the transformers and heavy electrical gear... but shouldn't there be an axle sticking out of the M motor for the actual propulsion?

These are fine little engines and are immediately recognized...  The open car load is really eye catching in fact I fell in love as I've offloaded a few cts and transformers from rail cars before.   I pose the same question though it the m motor just for looks or if not how does it push the train? 

Thanks for all positive comments and creative proposals. In fact I am doing some add-on:s right now, and will take new pictures after receipt of a BL order ?

M motor is merely for display, a std train motor drives the wagon.

44916730972_dc1d920609_b_d.jpg

Added pipeworks and coal bunker is now 7wide.

Improved ? Please let me have your thoughts.

44052846315_fe7c8d8f0d_b_d.jpg

31092376218_a1de6a9944_b_d.jpg

44052846575_f5fe9a9dbf_b_d.jpg

Yes. These are made from a modified 1*7 liftarm thin. The cut pin is to increase strength of (glued) joint.

Really nice set of tank engines! The little details like the boiler piping and inset cab doors add to the realism a lot!

I added a DkGreen inverted slope at each side of the coal bunker, and submitted this to BMR:s October competition,

Hope you like it :sweet:

30158891707_b5cdabd6ce_b_d.jpg

30158891307_f4422106b7_b_d.jpg

3 hours ago, Selander said:

Hope you like it :sweet:

I do! :wub:
Good luck for the competition!
By the way: In industrial shunting service, the real Knapsacks were often operated by one single person, and there were frequent complaints about the cramped cabs, being too small for two-men crews anyway. Seems you've captured this perfectly... :wink: