Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Freebuild - Kaliphlin Cog

Another freebuild that i originally built for the Summer Joust and only recently got around to re-photographing with Kaliphlin personnel. :classic:

Kaliphlin Cog 1

Not all of the Kaliphlin fleet are huge dromons or lanteen rigged ships. On the west coast of Kaliphlin in particular, Avalonian style cogs are popular among patrol ships for their hardiness and troop carrying capacity. 

Kaliphlin Cog 2

Here a Kaliphlin patrol ship plys the waters around the island of al' Esterbroke.

Kaliphlin Cog 3

I have to say, i quite like this design - i hope you have enjoyed it too! C & c welcome as always. :classic:

This is a great ship, Gabe! I love the many details of it, and the brick-build shaping is pretty good, too. I am a big fan of completely brick-built hulls with no large pre-fab pieces (not that they are bad, or are cheating, but I like it when people try other techniques. The way you mounted the rope ladder on the side is probably my favorite detail, but the colors, the teeth on the battlements, and the water are all very nice too. I don't know that much about cogs, but it seems like it sits a bit too high above the water, and that a ship of its size should have a greater displacement than it appears to be displaying. However, I don't know how much is under the water, or anything really about the general buoyancy of ships...

Very nice brick built hull!  I like the details of the rigging very much too  :classic:

This is exactly the kind of ship I could think of including in a future harbor scene in Barqa :wink:

This is a really nice cog, maybe my favorite part is the all LEGO rigging, but great use of tooth pieces on the castle-like platforms fore and aft!  The whole style of the ship seems very Kaliphlinian too!

Great vessel !

I like the fore(and the aft...)castles a lot ! The use of the tooth pieces is nice and the colour choice is top notch !

And an all LEGO rigging is not an easy thing to do. Congrats on that point !

Once again, Great Job !

Gabe, this is great!

Getting the rigging done out of only LEGO string w/ studs on the ends is an achievement in itself, everything else is very well proportioned to my medieval-naval-architecture-ignorant eye.  :thumbup:

Excellent!  I love the brick built hull, and the rigging is fantastic.  The colors, small crenellations, and the decorations on the underside of the battlements are awesome!  Great job!

On 9/22/2018 at 12:00 AM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Really nice work! The shaping of the boat is awesome, one of the best I've seen in a while. The water is great as well, very unique. Keep it up! :)

Thanks LordOfBricks, glad you like it! I've been building water this way for a while now, and i still think it does the job, although it may look a bit blocky to some. :wink:

On 9/22/2018 at 4:33 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is a great ship, Gabe! I love the many details of it, and the brick-build shaping is pretty good, too. I am a big fan of completely brick-built hulls with no large pre-fab pieces (not that they are bad, or are cheating, but I like it when people try other techniques. The way you mounted the rope ladder on the side is probably my favorite detail, but the colors, the teeth on the battlements, and the water are all very nice too. I don't know that much about cogs, but it seems like it sits a bit too high above the water, and that a ship of its size should have a greater displacement than it appears to be displaying. However, I don't know how much is under the water, or anything really about the general buoyancy of ships...

Thanks for the detailed feedback Henjin! I like brick-built hulls too, i find too much reliance on pre-fab hull peices can tend to make ships look a little same-y. It's interesting that you say the ship seems to be sailing too high in the water... that occurred to me too as i was building it, but the images i was working from showed they had really deep, boofy looking hulls, so i left it as is. The problem i think is that the sides taper in too much near the waterline, which is especially noticeable as the ship is shown rolling a bit. :look: I noticed this after i finished it, but had no time to change it and just went oh well! :laugh: It is a bit of a shame really.

On 9/22/2018 at 6:01 AM, Windusky said:

Love the colors! Like the others have said, the shaping is superb!

Thanks Windusky! :classic:

20 hours ago, Gideon said:

Very nice brick built hull!  I like the details of the rigging very much too  :classic:

This is exactly the kind of ship I could think of including in a future harbor scene in Barqa :wink:

Cheers Gideon! Ooh, a harbour scene of Barqa would be awesome! Can't wait to see it.. :excited:

16 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Great vessel !

I like the fore(and the aft...)castles a lot ! The use of the tooth pieces is nice and the colour choice is top notch !

And an all LEGO rigging is not an easy thing to do. Congrats on that point !

Once again, Great Job !

11 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Gabe, this is great!

Getting the rigging done out of only LEGO string w/ studs on the ends is an achievement in itself, everything else is very well proportioned to my medieval-naval-architecture-ignorant eye.  :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Grover said:

Excellent!  I love the brick built hull, and the rigging is fantastic.  The colors, small crenellations, and the decorations on the underside of the battlements are awesome!  Great job!

2 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Another great MOC @Gabe!

Love the sculpted hill and the colour choices. Fits perfectly for a blend of Avalonian/Kaliphlinian ship design.

Thanks everyone! The rigging is very simple on this style of ship, hence why i could rely on the Lego string to do the job. :thumbup: Plus i'm too lazy to make my own rigging! :grin: :blush:

On 9/24/2018 at 11:41 PM, W Navarre said:

This is great man, I notice you put a lot of detail, even though you made it fast, and I like the decks! 

Thanks mate. :classic: Yeah it was a bit of a rush job, i'm still dirty at myself that i didn't manage to finish it in time for the joust! I'm glad you like the deck detail. 

Such a beautiful vessel! The hull shaping is simply phenomenal! The forecastle and aftcastle are alse beautifully done. Fantastic work!

Top notch ship. The hull is lovely, rigging superb, and the Kaliphlin colors fit in beautifully :thumbup:
Very cool wave effects for the water too :classic:

On 9/29/2018 at 8:35 AM, Ayrlego said:

Such a beautiful vessel! The hull shaping is simply phenomenal! The forecastle and aftcastle are alse beautifully done. Fantastic work!

Thanks! Praise from those active in the pirates forum is high praise indeed - some lovely ships over there. 

11 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Top notch ship. The hull is lovely, rigging superb, and the Kaliphlin colors fit in beautifully :thumbup:
Very cool wave effects for the water too :classic:

Thanks Issac! Probably would not have been built if not for the Summer Joust, so thanks for giving me the opportunity to participate! :classic::thumbup:

Simple, yet extremely practical looking ship that can easily be imagined as a warship or trading vessel.  It is always great to see ships like this.