Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

MOC: Railroad Crossing

I thought I'd show off a bit of what I've been working on recently. This is part of a small portable switching layout that I've been working on for the past few years, and this part of the layout is the most recent section to be added: a Railroad Crossing. A bunch of the model railroaders I hung out with suggested I put a railroad crossing in, and eventually, after a bit of tearing apart scenery and track I'd installed, I managed to get what I hope is a convincing scene.

29878020877_0941cfbc03_c.jpg

Both of the vehicles and the camper trailer were inspired by builds I saw online, and I tried to reverse engineer them while still adding a bit of my own flourish to them, such as the police car and the fact that the camper and the sedan were initially two separate MOCs that I decided looked nice together with their white colour scheme so I added the hitch to the back of the sedan. Ignore Hera Syndulla, I'm currently trying to find a place for her elsewhere. :tongue:

29878021657_258b0f95d1_c.jpg

Here's a picture with a boxcar on the track to give the scene a bit of scale. I specifically decided to go with four wide for the cars to make the train more of the focal point of the layout. I initially built the boxcar with a Toronto Hamilton Buffalo livery, but without any decals at the moment I put a printed tile on it for use as a railway company logo. You can also see the beech scene a little bit better, along with the sand castle some child has left.

29878020467_769482657f_c.jpg

Here's a picture from the other side, and you can see that I decided to add some fencing to the beach scene while I was photographing this. I also threw my station wagon, another MOD of a MOC I found online that I thought would look good, on the layout instead of the police car, just to see how it'd look.

43904653715_410a683729_c.jpg\

The big reason I went through with tearing up this section of the layout was realizing that the new x-shaped tile pieces actually made it possible to easily do the crossbucks for the crossing. From there it was building up the scenery so I could get the road up to a point where a car could feasibly cross over it without someone spilling a drink in their lap. The crossing also helps transition between two scenes on opposite ends of it. To the right of the white sedan in the first photo is a harbour scene that was heavily influenced by michealozzie1's Ghent Harbour MOC over on Flickr. To the left of the white sedan is a beach scene with a lighthouse that ends with a tunnel for the train to go through. I wanted to use the crossing as a means to help differentiate the two scenes, but also help set the era in which my MOC is set in: the late 1980's. The cars I chose were done so on the basis that they would've been seen at the end of the decade, specifically 1989, as it's the last year Canadian Pacific operated with cabooses. 

Any comments or criticisms would appreciated, as I hope this addition will be displayed for the public at some point. Hopefully I can show off more of the layout in the future, as it's come quite a ways from when I first showed it off to the public two years ago. Thanks for taking the time to look at my MOC! :classic:

I just notice I messed up on the pavement markings on the one side of the tracks. Going to have to fix that when I get the time to do so.

Interesting. Now I am curious to see the rest of the layout. The crossing signs are completely white. I would expect red there as well. Will that follow? Otherwise a nice level crossing without the excess ramps you sometimes see. Nice done.

18 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Interesting. Now I am curious to see the rest of the layout. The crossing signs are completely white. I would expect red there as well. Will that follow? Otherwise a nice level crossing without the excess ramps you sometimes see. Nice done.

Thank you!

I looked into whether the crossbucks should be white and red or white and black, since I've seen both on train layouts, with red and white being more modern. I found this article clipping from an unknown newspaper seemingly from either 1986 or 1987 since the date scribbled onto the article is somewhat hard to read:
blog+crossing+1.jpg

Seems as if though that by 1989, the changeover from the old black and white Railway Crossing signs was switched to the more visible red and white. It's something I'm seemingly going to have to fix, Man with a hat. :classic:

14 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

Very nice, I also want to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BZLAYUqpjo

Watching the video, I can't help but notice the one guy on the moped speed through the crossing as the signal lights and siren are going. *huh* 

Best of luck with your crossing, Dragunov!