TomSkippy

Starting faction/EGS Question

Probably should be in a different thread, but I’m about to jump into this and I have a couple quick questions:

1) Which faction could use a semi-regular builder (I have plans/schedule for 2 builds per month) who would like to participate in the EGS?

2) When are monthly Dbs updated? If I build a medium property October 31, do I get the monthly income Nov 1? Also, say I have 40dbs, if a medium property was my first build, could I get the 10dbs for the free build and then turn and license it using those very dbs?

Thanks for your help!

@TomSkippy Oleon would be a good home for someone building that regularly. I'm probably not the best person to answer your second question though, accounts are updated as and when the mods can, but they do run the game on a voluntary basis, so you should be aware of that.

Hi TomSkippy! Let me see if I can help.

19 minutes ago, TomSkippy said:

Probably should be in a different thread,

Going forward, the BoBS Intro Thread, Era II is a good place for general questions, but there's no problem with answering your questions here.

1) Which faction could use a semi-regular builder

Well, we all could! :pir-grin:  I'd say the Sea Rats are in the greatest need of new players, but all the factions are in need of some new, active builders. I'd suggest you find the faction that best fits what you want to do (check out the Quick Start Guide) and base your decision on that.

2) When are monthly Dbs updated? If I build a medium property October 31, do I get the monthly income Nov 1? Also, say I have 40dbs, if a medium property was my first build, could I get the 10dbs for the free build and then turn and license it using those very dbs?

You are correct on how things work. Property income gets updated the first of each month (ship income through the MRCAs is less consistent), but DBs for free builds show up right away after registering the build. So, yes, you could build a MOC, receive the freebuild 10 DBs, and then use those DBs when you license the property in the EGS.

Also, note that you get a free small property license to start off, as well as a free license for a class 2 ship, so the easiest way to get started is to build a small property that will produce revenue each month.

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome! I hope we see an intro for your character soon!

Welcome, Tom!

I know all the factions will be very happy to welcome you and you should join the one you prefer. What you should consider is where you think you will fit in the best and have the most fun. Where will your stories and characters thrive the best? Currently I think OL is the least active, followed by the SR.

We have a (unfinished) quick start guide here:

(that I really should get to finishing up)

In there, you will find a bit about how to get started. You may also wish to read the first page of each of the faction sign up threads, where you get more in depth knowledge about each faction.

And always feel free to ask any questions, either in the general intro thread, the faction threads (if pertaining to faction), or in the quick start thread.

In any case, welcome to Bobs.

PS. If I remember correctly, properties start earning income the month after being licensed. :)

Thanks for all the replies!

@Bregir I’ve poured over all those threads... I already have studio files for the class 2 ship and small property freebuilds (with BrickLink carts at the ready) and a general list of 16 small/medium build ideas.

I’m just torn on faction. This whole time period was always my favorite growing up - I honestly have no preference at all. So I thought I’d see if my involvement could help invigorate a less-active faction. 

As others have mentioned, you should go for the faction that inspires you the most. You will spend a lot of time building for your faction, so you might as well give yourself some time to deciding which one it should be.

5 hours ago, Drunknok said:

As others have mentioned, you should go for the faction that inspires you the most. You will spend a lot of time building for your faction, so you might as well give yourself some time to deciding which one it should be.

Definitely, that's actually why I'm posting this, I've been lurking/planning/trying-to-decide for 3-4 weeks now. Each inspires me: I dreamt of being a pirate, the bluecoats were my first lego pirate experience, the redcoats were my biggest set (ITP), Armada spoke Spanish!

@TomSkippy It's also worth bearing in mind which national colours you have the most of. Troops are becoming more and more relevant, and if you want to include them in your builds, it helps to have the bricks.

10 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Definitely, that's actually why I'm posting this, I've been lurking/planning/trying-to-decide for 3-4 weeks now. Each inspires me: I dreamt of being a pirate, the bluecoats were my first lego pirate experience, the redcoats were my biggest set (ITP), Armada spoke Spanish!

Tom...  I'm a sea rat by choice due to the ability to do what I want without worry if the king/queen/council will sting me up for it.   I to had large red coat sets an the early bluecoat sets with only a couple of the pirate ships.

It's not just what your bricks allow it's how you see yourself playing the game...  The factions each have their own bonuses 

OL is culture so if you can see yourself speaking French (or google translating French) and building religious builds then they would be a good fit. 

COR is science and education so if you can see yourself thinking that your the best and exploring and building schools they would be a good fit. 

ESL is commerce if it involves money or trade they think themselves the best.   If you see yourself rolling in Lego coins after a large trade ship build then they would be a good fit. 

SR ours is Artisan so anything where goods are crafted.  So if you can see yourself building taverns or workshops or going on raids or other dastardly frowned on activities the rats would be a good fit. 

Just so you know each faction has its own trade companies but your not required to join them...  There are a couple inter-faction companies as well.  So if you want to trade you don't have to pick ESL. 

Basically we all would like to have new members but your happiness with the game and build style should be your motivation for choosing a faction. 

58 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Hey! Eslandola has religious types too. We're more missionary oriented, and use a Celtic language derivative.

Was not leaving them out lol...  Just grossly stereotyping the factions.

My Sea Rat captain is a religious fanatic too! Don't leave us out  :pir-grin:

But @TomSkippy as others already have mentioned, choose the faction you have the most affection for. I was in the same position a while ago and was lurking for a long time as well. The decision was very hard as I had Armada sets, Blue coats and some red coats as well, but in the end choose to formulate a cool story and some protagonists and needed a faction who fitted their story best. And the story is ofc based on what you want to build :kahuka: 

I however hope to see your builds sooner than later

On 9/21/2018 at 5:27 PM, gedren_y said:

Hey! Eslandola has religious types too. We're more missionary oriented, and use a Celtic language derivative.

synonym of " doubloons"

they take us as real suckers :grin: